C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior size data - C6 vs C7 - Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Interior size data - C6 vs C7 - Inside

So I got tired of hearing how much smaller the C7 interior is than the C6, and how the Corvette has gotten progressively smaller each generation.

Because I don't think its true... People might be getting older and fatter but I don't think the cars are getting smaller.

So I looked it up. I spent some fair time looking, but the data seems to say that the interior is EXACT within a tenth of an inch in all of these dimensions.

That seems suspicious to me. Does anyone have a source that shows different numbers for either before I get carried away?

Thanks,
Dave

PS: The C7 is "styled" differently so that things are closer to you, even more driver-oriented, so it feels like it's more intimate, but it's not actually any smaller so far as I can tell.

Last edited by davepl; 05-24-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

those numbers are interesting, but I dont' need specs for A-B comparisons and the feeling I have once seated, belted-in, and door closed.

I've owned C3's, a C4, C5's, and now a C7; an have driven C6's.

For me, the roomiest was the C5, followed by the C4. Granted the C4 was a btch to get in & out of, but once in there I didn't feel cramped.
The C7 feels as if there's less depth and width when compared to all the others I've owned/been-in; even worse on the passengers side. I have the drivers seat all the way back on my C7 (and yes... I have that sensor unplugged). On all other generations, I had the drivers seat almost all the way back... but not needed to be all the way.

I AM NOT COMPLAINING !!!! i love the C7, both outside and in. But it feels tighter for the occupants IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Double Aught (09-06-2019)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
those numbers are interesting, but I dont' need specs for A-B comparisons and the feeling I have once seated, belted-in, and door closed.
That's fine as long as you always say you're talking about feelings and not measurements.

A lot of people FEEL like the C7 has a smaller interior so they state it like it's fact. Feelings aren't facts though.

I agree with you it feels smaller. First time I ever saw in a C7 (non-Z) I thought the whole car was significantly smaller inside and out, but don't know if it is or not on the outside, but it's the same inside.

Last edited by davepl; 05-24-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Pahrump
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

I've owned C3's, a C4, C5's, and now a C7; an have driven C6's.

For me, the roomiest was the C5, followed by the C4. Granted the C4 was a btch to get in & out of, but once in there I didn't feel cramped.
The C7 feels as if there's less depth and width when compared to all the others I've owned/been-in; even worse on the passengers side. I have the drivers seat all the way back on my C7 (and yes... I have that sensor unplugged). On all other generations, I had the drivers seat almost all the way back... but not needed to be all the way.

I AM NOT COMPLAINING !!!! i love the C7, both outside and in. But it feels tighter for the occupants IMO.

What sensor unplugged?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

There's a sensor behind the seat (at least in my Convert) that stops rearward seat travel when it is triggered.

You can get the seat further back if you get out and push the top forward as you move it back so the sensor trips later, for example.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (05-24-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

On our 2017 coupe, the sensor is hidden under the carpet on the "wall" behind each seat back. When the seat back hits the sensor, rearward movement stops.
Rear movement is also stopped if I unlatch the seat back and tilt it forward, not sure if minor tilt adjustment stop movement on our car.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I am sure the front interior space wasn't measured with "Competition Seats."
Old 05-28-2018, 02:24 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

With the C6 you could just lean back and have the seat flex another inch or so while you “adjust yourself “ in. Not so with this C7, which is the way it should be. Maybe the door cards or center console takes up more room from the c6.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Rwgriffith
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Interior Size

Loved all the posts below on the driver room on the C5, C6, and C7 corvettes. I owned two C5 coupes and had plenty of room in them. Never felt cramped. Never had the chance to sit in a C6. I am 6'3" and about 270 pounds. I would love to purchase a C7 coupe, but when I sat in a friend's, it was just too tight. Maybe we missed a seat adjustment that would have made a difference. However, from what I read below, it looks like a lot of guys around my size find the C7 too tight for comfortable driving. Sure wish I could find some way around this. Maybe the C8's will provide more room.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior size data - C6 vs C7 - Inside

Quick Reply: Interior size data - C6 vs C7 - Inside