C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Spark plugs & wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Ned4Sped
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 Spark plugs & wires

Corvette Z owners, thus I am new this vehicle forum, I am learning at a high rate and very thankful of the technical support that I have received. I have a question that I ponder and I am in hopes that someone may be able to provide me guidance and or direction. I am in search of the best and or better than OEM spark plugs and spark plug wires for my "15 Z06. I noticed my vehicles idle that sounded as though it had a skip. The idle is similar to the idle of my LS3, that had a slight miss at idle, which this turned out to be a plug wire arching which resulted in foulling out that particular cylinders plug. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

V/R

Last edited by Ned4Sped; 05-28-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 05-29-2018, 12:27 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Your going to get many opinions so I'll just go ahead and give mine, lol.

I have a 2016 Z A8 and recently went with black MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires and NGK Tr7 IX spark plugs gapped at .028. I gapped it close and went with a colder plug because I have a cai with hi-flow filter and long tube headers. The car seems to like it. Sometimes the car idles perfectly smooth and other times it acts as if it stumbles a tad bit but that's the nature of the beast when you have mods.

I also went with this setup because I have ran similar setups in all of my other vettes and f-body's. Good luck...
Old 02-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Replace spark plugs

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
Your going to get many opinions so I'll just go ahead and give mine, lol.

I have a 2016 Z A8 and recently went with black MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires and NGK Tr7 IX spark plugs gapped at .028. I gapped it close and went with a colder plug because I have a cai with hi-flow filter and long tube headers. The car seems to like it. Sometimes the car idles perfectly smooth and other times it acts as if it stumbles a tad bit but that's the nature of the beast when you have mods.

I also went with this setup because I have ran similar setups in all of my other vettes and f-body's. Good luck...
I just realized in my owners manual it says you should replace spark plugs at 60,000 miles. I am over 60,000 miles and not having any trouble that I noticed. Should I replace the spark plugs?
Old 02-16-2019, 04:24 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Before you start replacing parts, I would recommend you log (or watch) for misfires. If you have a plug wire issue you will see the misfire count, particularly on a single cylinder. There are various software/hardware solutions that can provide this information to you.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (02-20-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
I just realized in my owners manual it says you should replace spark plugs at 60,000 miles. I am over 60,000 miles and not having any trouble that I noticed. Should I replace the spark plugs?
Probably time to start thinking about it. I would also replace the plug wires since you may find you damage them getting them off the plugs.

I had one car a number of years ago that indicated plug replacement at 30K miles which at the time was a huge improvement over the previous 12K mile replacement interval. I let it go to about 37K before replacing them. I was surprised when I got the plugs out as the center electrode in all 6 plugs was worn down to nothing. I didn't understand how the car had been running that long with worn out plugs.

Bill
Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Probably time to start thinking about it. I would also replace the plug wires since you may find you damage them getting them off the plugs.

I had one car a number of years ago that indicated plug replacement at 30K miles which at the time was a huge improvement over the previous 12K mile replacement interval. I let it go to about 37K before replacing them. I was surprised when I got the plugs out as the center electrode in all 6 plugs was worn down to nothing. I didn't understand how the car had been running that long with worn out plugs.

Bill
Thanks for the information. I think I will go ahead and replace them, do you think I should use OEM plugs and wires or is there something better out there.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Thanks for the information. I think I will go ahead and replace them, do you think I should use OEM plugs and wires or is there something better out there.
Not sure about any other plug being better. The best wires for the C6 LS engines were the the GMPP plug wires. I don't know if they make them for the LT1 and LT4.

Bill
Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I like to run Brisk Silver plugs one heat range colder than stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Spark plugs & wires

Quick Reply: Z06 Spark plugs & wires