C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard brake pedal after slalom in track-race mode - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by village idiot
There is no way you can tell me it's just the nature of the beast or a necessary evil.
As much as I don't like to say this, Tadge probably had some truth there.
It appears they have known about this problem for a while but haven't cured it. If it was an easy fix, they would have done it. If it was an easy re-tune, someone would be offering that service right now.
Remember, he alluded to things that would help cure the Ice Mode (I'll still use that term) causing other problems with other situations like A/S tires, etc. They had to make some compromises, we don't happen to like the choices they made. It would be interesting to know exactly what they would have to give up in other situations to cure the Ice Mode.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:42 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
As much as I don't like to say this, Tadge probably had some truth there.
It appears they have known about this problem for a while but haven't cured it. If it was an easy fix, they would have done it. If it was an easy re-tune, someone would be offering that service right now.
Remember, he alluded to things that would help cure the Ice Mode (I'll still use that term) causing other problems with other situations like A/S tires, etc. They had to make some compromises, we don't happen to like the choices they made. It would be interesting to know exactly what they would have to give up in other situations to cure the Ice Mode.
It didn't seem necessary in the C6
Old 07-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by village idiot
It didn't seem necessary in the C6
Just a guess, Ice Mode could result from the complicated parameters needed for PTM. Or any one of a million other variables.
An hour-long discussion with Tadge or one of the ABS engineers could be priceless. Or maybe worthless, since there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about the system.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I have 2016 Z06-Z07-MPSC2 and the car worked flawlessly at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and on the street. I converted to Girodiscs/ST43 and Michelin Pilot SS because I wore out front ceramic rotors after 8 track days(I was going through a set of Ceramic pads every track day). I was also going through MPSC2 every two track days, so I switched to MPSS(non-runflat) to reduce the tire expense. The Girodisc and Raybestos ST43 were having ice mode issues at Laguna Seca with MPSS. It was very problematic not having confidence slowing for turns or if I was going to make a corner. After talking to to Girodisc, I installed Raybestos ST31 front and back and no issues at Laguna Seca. I do ABS threshold braking(thats what I call it) I brake hard enough to engage the ABS and then back off so the ABS is not pulsing. With the ST43 I was only getting about 50% braking power (at Laguna Seca) and I could not engage the ABS pulsing. With the ST31, it works just as good as the stock carbon ceramic setup.

I used both the ST43 and ST31 on the street. The ST43 was much too noisy in slow driving(although quiet when not coming to a complete stop and quiet at the track). The ST31 is now noiseless after the track day on the street. The dust is pretty bad, so I have give the rims a good washing once week and the dust accumulates on the driveway after cleaning. So then I have to sweep and rinse off the driveway.

Overall, the situation is fixed.

Here is a gratuitous video my buddy put together of me(Silver Z06 #567) passing him. He was driving a 2009 Corvette Z51, 6speed and he runs Raybestos ST43 with Firehawk street tires with no issues. His rotor temperature is 700*+ in the pits after his session. My ST43 were under 400*(due to ice mode) and ST31 were about 500*+ in the pits.

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 08-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Hard brake pedal after slalom in track-race mode - help!