C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are magazine reviews dishonest, talking about A8 transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:36 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are magazine reviews dishonest, talking about A8 transmission?

I have many auto magazines starting as far back from 2014. Many of the reviews from 2014-2016 state A8 just as fast than PDK, ZF8, etc. You would think it would be as fast as the ZF8. So are these reviewers lying, making things up? Because now I have read some more recent reviews of the A8 and sometimes they mention that down shifts via paddles is slower. Fore example I read the recent ZR1 with auto and they stated tranny not up to rest of car. Very confusing. Now driving with paddle shifters is this also adaptive to your driving and with time will get faster? Especially down shifts? Like I said who is to be believed. Ger.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:01 AM
Motors5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

It depends...

It is very quick during Auto and full throttle. Also with paddles and full throttle. In every driving mode.

But if you coast in town (light throttle) and use any mode and paddles it is very slow (to give a smooth ride I guess). This is a bit annoying as you would expect it to shift when you press the paddle. I think the downshifts during moderate throttle is actually quicker than the upshifts...

However during a track session it is very nice and also the performance shifting mode in Auto works very well on most tracks.

//Motors5
Old 06-08-2018, 10:34 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

They're not lying. It upshifts under load just as fast as a PDK or ZF8. And downshifts should be prepared anyway, you don't want them brutal with 650 lb-ft.

It's nowhere near as fast at commanded shifts that it can't anticipate (like mid rpm, stuff you wouldn't really do anyway). That's the difference. As your engine approaches redline, for example, the trans pressures come up and it undertakes steps to prepare for a fuel cut and a brutally fast shift. But if it doesn't know it's coming, I think that adds about a full second.

But on a racetrack, it's going to be just as fast. But perhaps not as fun.

Last edited by davepl; 06-08-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

It is comparative, in part... others have gotten better over time.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
They're not lying. It upshifts under load just as fast as a PDK or ZF8. And downshifts should be prepared anyway, you don't want them brutal with 650 lb-ft.

It's nowhere near as fast at commanded shifts that it can't anticipate (like mid rpm, stuff you wouldn't really do anyway). That's the difference. As your engine approaches redline, for example, the trans pressures come up and it undertakes steps to prepare for a fuel cut and a brutally fast shift. But if it doesn't know it's coming, I think that adds about a full second.

But on a racetrack, it's going to be just as fast. But perhaps not as fun.
In other words you have to tell the car you are serious about the shift and have the throttle wide open and be in the upper rpm ranges. Otherwise, you are telling it you really aren't interested in performance and it is going to take its time just as you are doing. Hit the loud pedal and hang on, don't wuss out. It isn't like shifting a manual at 3500 rpm at half throttle and popping the clutch out.

Bill
Old 06-11-2018, 06:38 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default those lying dog journalists

I don't think they are lying. I think they don't take the time to describe the full character of the A8.

In full throttle operation, automatic mode, the transmission will shift up very quickly as it anticipates what is coming. In manual mode, in my opinion, it doesn't shift immediately as it can't for sure anticipate if you are going to shift or not. But when the shift is executed it is very quick. And still smooth. If you want to paddle it, you have to anticipate a little to compensate for execution of the shift. It is not hard to get used to on the track.

I see zero issue with the speed of downshifts on the track. Downshifts don't slow you down unless you mess one up. On a long 4th gear corner, if you decide you want to be in third at the exit, hit the paddle and it happens quickly, and smoothly and doesn't upset the chassis in the middle of the corner. All of you out there that have never missed a downshift going into a corner and wound up in no gear, wrong gear, distracted and the chassis upset go ahead and stone me.

Full auto putting around town, the transmission is comfortable and lazy and lets you pay full attention to the craziness around you. Or if you want to, put it in manual, and upshift as you would like. Partial throttle, slow lazy shifts. Full throttle, be on your toes because redline is coming faster than you think in the first 3 gears. Hit your 45mph cruise, just keep up shifting 3 more times. The transmission won't shift if it will drop the engine below 1200-1500rpm, don't know exactly because in that situation I don't know and don't care. If you are just cruising, you can blindly upshift 3-4 times and it will give you the gear with the lowest rpm the engine is happy with and on you cruise. If you need full acceleration ASAP, floor it and the A8 will shift down one or several times very quickly until you are going fast enough. I can reliably down shift a manual one gear in that situation, but not 3 gears, and the A8 will. If you were talking on your phone and pulled onto the freeway onramp at 25, you will probably still be OK. In manual mode if you are in 8th gear and slow, it will keep shifting down to keep the engine above 1000rpm so you can still get going again. If you come to a complete stop the A8 will shift back to first without you using the paddles and you are ready to go again.

So I think the A8 is a good transmission. It is different that DCTs but each have their advantages. For comfort around town I don't think there is anything better. For the track, learn to accommodate its differences if you care to, and it is hard for anything to be better. Driving at 5/10ths in the canyons (about as much as you can do with a Z06), go ahead and row an A7. That may be what you want and I am cool with that. Or you could drive the A8 in 4th all day long and go just as fast between 30 and 90.

I post this just to provide my perspective, not to dis or impress anyone. I just don't think the journalists take the time to describe the A8 well.

Last edited by desmophile; 06-11-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 507 Likes on 293 Posts

Also for fun hold the downshift paddle it will shift to the lowest acceptable gear makes for fun passing. Beware it is brutal even in the low hp 460 hp engine

Get notified of new replies

To Are magazine reviews dishonest, talking about A8 transmission?

Quick Reply: Are magazine reviews dishonest, talking about A8 transmission?