C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Not TM, but as a customer. You will recieve a new, PTB for your $390. You keep yours that’s on the engine now. No need to ship it.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 PM
AlexM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EASonBASS
Not TM, but as a customer. You will recieve a new, PTB for your $390. You keep yours that’s on the engine now. No need to ship it.
Thank you. It makes sense. In my case I would be interested to have mine ported, why waste a good TB by not using it? I don't intend to go back to stock. I had a ported TB in my previous car (2012 Camaro SS) and it did made a difference, enough to feel the stock C7 has a throttle tip in lag compared to the Camaro, the Camaro throttle felt much more responsive. If the throttle is pushed enough on the C7 it returns lots of power compared to the Camaro, but the first 10-30% throttle tip in on the C7 is sooo off putting for me to the point I miss my Camaro sometimes... GM probably had it programmed like this for safety, thinking not everybody can handle all the LT1/LT4 power.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 903 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexM
Thank you. It makes sense. In my case I would be interested to have mine ported, why waste a good TB by not using it? I don't intend to go back to stock. I had a ported TB in my previous car (2012 Camaro SS) and it did made a difference, enough to feel the stock C7 has a throttle tip in lag compared to the Camaro, the Camaro throttle felt much more responsive. If the throttle is pushed enough on the C7 it returns lots of power compared to the Camaro, but the first 10-30% throttle tip in on the C7 is sooo off putting for me to the point I miss my Camaro sometimes... GM probably had it programmed like this for safety, thinking not everybody can handle all the LT1/LT4 power.
These cars are alot more finicky (versus your previous 5th Gen Camaro)....having the stock TB to fall back on is a perk and you don't save alot of money either porting your stocker ($270 shipped plus you pay $20 ish to ship it to me),

Also in the event you have an issue with one of my ported units I could easily exchange it if it were new.....not so easily if it was/is used.

Its simply nice to fall back on the fact you still own the stock TB and purchasing a new ported TB outright for only a few more dollars makes it a faster much smoother transaction for all.

If you have an interest shoot me an email or PM and we can go forward from there. It truly is a fantastic upgrade and worth every penny of the outright purchase I assure you.

Don't forget I offer a 30 day trial period for you to decide for yourself!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-27-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

This was my first mod on my 17 Z06. Followed by the MGW. Very satisfied with both.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

15' Z06 A8 owner
this TB is worth the $
Crisper & more responsive throttle all the way through the RPM band
and I swear I'm get higher RPM shift points now?!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:02 PM
AlexM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
These cars are alot more finicky (versus your previous 5th Gen Camaro)....having the stock TB to fall back on is a perk and you don't save alot of money either porting your stocker ($270 shipped plus you pay $20 ish to ship it to me),

Also in the event you have an issue with one of my ported units I could easily exchange it if it were new.....not so easily if it was/is used.

Its simply nice to fall back on the fact you still own the stock TB and purchasing a new ported TB outright for only a few more dollars makes it a faster much smoother transaction for all.

If you have an interest shoot me an email or PM and we can go forward from there. It truly is a fantastic upgrade and worth every penny of the outright purchase I assure you.

Don't forget I offer a 30 day trial period for you to decide for yourself!

Cheers,
Tony
I sent you a PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Fredtp
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Wait, what is your reasoning on not considering a ported throttle body?

Honestly you need to do more homework.....the more you read the more you will want to own one.

Regarding auto vs manual and the gains experienced, I have gone over this numerous times in various threads but it's worth repeating.....in a nutshell.....ALL THE UPSIDES ARE THE SAME.

Your engine has no clue what transmission is bolted behind it.....all the perks of my ported TB are exactly the same including the 12- 15 RWTQ and 12-15 RWHP it adds as well.....the increase in throttle response, the removal of the lag off idle (which is simply masked more with the auto because there is no clutch pulling the engine down and less fancy foot work....LOL)....the large improvement in tip in throttle and the more linear intuitive power delivery.....its ALL there. The manual trans cars and the autos all reap the same benefits of this upgrade.

In fact I have helped many guys that have an A8 (who didnt realize they even had an issue) that simply wanted to try my product because of all the good reviews (knowing I offer a 30 day performance guarantee as well so no risk). Many of them took the time to email me back and let me know that now the car feels especially awesome with this upgrade and they didnt realize how bad it was until they felt how right it could be with the modified TB I offer.....a welcomed surprise on the upside for most.

While the manual trans guys are thrilled it helps remove/eliminate an issue that is more obvious (specifically the off idle lag), the A8 guys have been just as happy and as I mentioned more surprised mostly not realizing what they have been missing all along.

I encourage all of you running a stock LT1 or LT4 TB to try one of my modified units....its plug and play....no tune required....if your not totally stoked about the money you spent with me you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. Not too many opportunities in this hobby that offer you that type situation.....take advantage of it while you can. Also, clearly your not taking a flyer here....there must be a few hundred posts with extremely satisfied customers running my products. If your new to this hobby or the GM platform I recommend you Google my name if your unfamiliar with my background. I have been designing high performance cylinder heads, intake manifolds, and TB's for two decades and I basically specialize in the art of airflow. I should add that while I have designed cylinder heads and various airflow related products for alot of different brands over the years (even sport bikes), Im a "bowtie man" at heart and GM products make up 90% of the gear I specialize in.

Cheers,
Tony
How do you order anything from your website?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Fredtp
How do you order anything from your website?
Scroll up.....post 14 in this thread

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-07-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 PM
skvette
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 67 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Just ordered one for my 2016 Z06 A8. Looking forward to trying it out!

Best 1/4 mile 10.800 Hoping for lower after install.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM
AlexM
Instructor

I received and installed mine. Very, very happy!
Tony, you don't have to worry about me returning it after 30 days LOL!!! And I only drove it for less than 100 miles with Mamo TB on it. I cant' wait to drive it more now.
Car is predictable now, just like I expected and how I was used to drive my former Gen5 Camaro SS (truth to be told, I had a ported TB and CAI on the SS ). No more weird throttle reaction, the throttle is linear now, a REAL pleasure to drive!
Thank you Tony!!!

Last edited by AlexM; 08-03-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexM
I received and installed mine. Very, very happy!
Tony, you don't have to worry about me returning it after 30 days LOL!!! And I only drove it for less than 100 miles with Mamo TB on it. I cant' wait to drive it more now.
Car is predictable now, just like I expected and how I was used to drive my former Gen5 Camaro SS (truth to be told, I had a ported TB and CAI on the SS ). No more weird throttle reaction, the throttle is linear now, a REAL pleasure to drive!
Thank you Tony!!!
I totally agree. I took off my Vitesse and don't miss it.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Guys,

Thought I would add to this thread another in depth well written review

Hope you guys are enjoying the long Holiday weekend!

Cheers,
Tony

Originally Posted by waterman
I installed a Tony Mamo ported TB last Monday and have put about 120 miles on my car since. No codes or issues on start up after install, car ran normally. Car is still completely stock except for a Green Filter, 2018 ZL1 1LE.

Both runs started at sea level and ended at a little over 10,000 ft. Between 4000 ft. to the top, driving was "spirited". Air temps were between mid 80s and 50, weather conditions (dry/sunny) between both runs were nearly identical. PTM in sport/competitive mode (TC off with access to full power at all times, StabiliTrak on) for 100m before and after install for continuity. There were no issues with the rapid altitude changes.

I attached a cool drone photo of part of the route.https://www.camaro6.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

My immediate reaction was that the throttle response was noticeably smoother from a stop. I thought that it might take some time for the ECM/ECU to adjust, from a dead stop it was instantaneous. Over the next 100 miles as the computer adjusted to the cleaned up airflow, I've noticed that the throttle response has become increasingly more smooth throughout the rev range (low to mid, mid to WOT, low to WOT). Blip to downshift is way more predictable manually and when using auto rev match. Throttle response is much more linear, it's especially noticeable during acceleration on corner exit.

IMHO this is definitely a very reasonably priced mod that yields a noticeable performance gain. My butt dyno tells me there is likely some more power there, regardless; the throttle response is worth the full price of admission.

I'm truly impressed with the performance gains. I also appreciate that Tony has taken the time to respond to and answer all of my questions. Great customer service.

For reference, I have not been compensated in any way for posting my impressions. Just my honest opinion.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:40 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Wow - how did the Chevy engineers get this one so wrong?

I am in the Vitesse camp. This car’s throttle is drive by wire - computer. My experience with Vitesse and BMS filter has been excellent - never a code and over $200 saved.

Look who started the thread. I guess sales have softened.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MlwYlw

I am in the Vitesse camp. This car’s throttle is drive by wire - computer. My experience with Vitesse and BMS filter has been excellent - never a code and over $200 saved.

This is much better than Vitesse which compresses how much throttle movement you're using making it harder to finely modulate control when feeding in throttle from a stop or re-applying it out of a turn. At higher Vitesse settings this is really an issue. It does nothing to smooth throttle response and certainly doesn't increase power. Also my Vitesse began to repeatedly put the car into reduced power mode despite repeated resettings. Tony's TB is a cure and not a bandaid like Vitesse.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:37 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Did you mean get the TB porting wrong or drive-by-wire throttle angle to TB valve angle ratio? I think they kinda compromised on both.

I run all 3: TM TB, Vitesse and filter. Love it!.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Have you even looked to see how poorly shaped the TB is on your Vette?

You dont have to be an expert in airflow to see just how bad it is with a vertical wall around the entire perimeter disrupting airflow at both low throttle angles and WOT (and all through the curve for that matter).

The reality here is this TB was never designed with a Corvette in mind.....it was an inexpensive shelf item installed on trucks and other vehicles making half the power. It was never a performance TB from its inception and in out of the box trim it's the worst of any factory TB I have ever ported....GM or otherwise. Compared to the new TB designed for the LT5 ZR1 application its night and day. That TB was designed with a performance engine in mind but can still flow more with the proper porting techniques (its just MUCH better in out of the box trim with no huge design flaws as glaring as the LT1/LT4 units). I mention that to make a point as the LT5 was designed specifically for a Corvette high powered application unlike the TB in question here.

When Im done reshaping the housing bore it makes a huge difference in the amount of airflow in the lower throttle angles and increases total flow by a substantial 17% (1000 CFM versus 850 CFM). The big gain in airflow is what increases the power from the engine at WOT.....no different than installing a higher flowing carb on a hungry performance engine back in the day

A ported TB upgrade is a true performance mod that increases the engines V/E (volumetric efficiency) , increases throttle response.....reduces the lag off idle and makes the throttle input much more linear in nature.

You should try one.....I offer a money back guarantee for 30 days if you don't feel it was worth every penny. At the very least it will give you the opportunity to see just how poorly designed the LT1/LT4 TB's actually are hopefully giving you some pause before defending the GM engineers again. The fact that GM gave this TB the nod on your Vette was a very poor decision and it was all about the "bean counting" and nothing related to performance or the enjoyment of your car in any way or form I assure you.

Try one of my ported TB's.....you will thank me as many others already have

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 09-03-2018 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 07:46 PM
FASTLOW1
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tony,

I installed your ported TB on my 2019 ZO6 last week. Excellent product. Very Happy. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB

Old 09-03-2018, 09:18 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Tony...How does your ported TB differ from a ported Weapons X version? I am running their TB now on a 2017 GS (7M)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ToxicGS
Tony...How does your ported TB differ from a ported Weapons X version? I am running their TB now on a 2017 GS (7M)
Its no different than any other product that gets modified from different vendors (manifolds and cylinder heads for example). The amount of R&D dedicated and the overall execution of the final product can vary greatly from vendor to vendor as will your results.

They just sound the same on paper (a ported TB, a ported cylinder head, a ported intake manifold, etc.)

This is a good thread (more technical in nature) to better understand how there can be a difference

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-inside.html

Try one of mine and decide for yourself....I offer you a 30 day performance guarantee. Dont feel it was worth an improvement send it back but I have a hunch you will want to keep it

Originally Posted by FASTLOW1
Tony,

I installed your ported TB on my 2019 ZO6 last week. Excellent product. Very Happy. Thank you.
Thanks for chiming in this thread with your feedback....I'm glad you were pleased with the product.

Its one of the few "anomalies" in the aftermarket performance industry where for little dollars spent you actually experience significant real world gains in your vehicle and the best thing with this mod is you don't have to go WOT to experience the upsides. Just driving the car normally the improvements from this upgrade make themselves readily apparent. Its really how the car should have came from the factory

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 09-03-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:22 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by EASonBASS
Did you mean get the TB porting wrong or drive-by-wire throttle angle to TB valve angle ratio? I think they kinda compromised on both.

I run all 3: TM TB, Vitesse and filter. Love it!.
No issues with running the ported TB and Vitesse together? LT1 or LT4? What setting do you run the Vitesse on?

Quick Reply: Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB