C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Rattle after Sheet Metal & Exterior Door Panel Separated - What's my Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Door Rattle after Sheet Metal & Exterior Door Panel Separated - What's my Fix?

Hi Guys,

Need some advice on how to crack the door open. I've already got the interior trim off, but might need to access the hollow part of the door? The exterior door and interior door sheet metal look like they come together just inside the door panel, but the sound damper or silicone bead that acts as the cushion (i guess) between the two parts now has a crack or maybe you'd call it a busted seal? Anyways, here's the picture. I'm not sure how I should go about fixing it? Also, I need to replace some of the sound proofing material that was on the interior of the door. Not sure if the sticky goop material that was on the door access rubber panel needs to be replaced or not, but it all came off in one piece. If I should replace that material, what's the sticky goop called? Never seen anything quite like it? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

You could put something like dynamat on the inside of the door shell and that would probably take care of your rattle and make it quieter as well.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:54 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I like it. Simple quick fix. Thanks! I'll give it a shot!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I believe there is a TSB where the dealer installs some sealant to fix this.
The following users liked this post:
daleong (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Inject some RTV into the gap.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Had a horrible bass vibration in door panel. Couldn't hear it from inside, but outside it sounded liked a thousand angry bees, & I thought people beside me at red lites looked at me cause they liked my music. That fwd. speaker in door panel gets everything vibrating. My bead was in same shape as yours. I simply bought some cheap rubber padding, cut to fit, sprayed door/rubber with adhesive to cover all areas I could reach. Also & more importantly, I jammed small lengths of cardboard (folded in my case) behind the impact brace missing the glue to prevent any rattle there & VOILA-totally fixed both problems. Just saying, no-one else will ever see this so who cares if it isn't "purty".

Last edited by madrob2020; 06-15-2018 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdlev (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:45 PM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I believe there is a TSB where the dealer installs some sealant to fix this.
Yep, I've seen that TSB...

Get notified of new replies

To Door Rattle after Sheet Metal & Exterior Door Panel Separated - What's my Fix?

Quick Reply: Door Rattle after Sheet Metal & Exterior Door Panel Separated - What's my Fix?