C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob question - Mobil1 ESP Dexos2 0W40 oil availability

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:24 PM
LateLifeCrisis
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noob question - Mobil1 ESP Dexos2 0W40 oil availability

Good day, all.

New C7 owner here (my wife and sons bought it for me on the sly for a birthday/retirement gift in April). As a new 2019 LT1, Generous Motors Canada offers 4 "free" oil and filter change services in the first 2 years. I noted that GM specifies strictly Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 Dexos 2 (not Dexos 1 Generation 2) for the oil, with strong hints of warranty validation only if this oil is used.

My question....how available is this specification of oil for purchase outside of GM dealers in the U.S. While I won't be changing my own oil on this vehicle while the N/C oil changes are available for the next 22 months, I prefer to do my own maintenance wherever possible, including oil changes. That way, I know it gets done the right way, with the right materials (oil and filter), after having been burnt once or twice in the past on other GM cars.

That particular specification of oil is like hens teeth in Canada so far, not just the Mobil 1 oil but any oil of the specified grade and Dexos 2 licensed label. Even many GM dealers don't seem to carry or be able to get/stock of this oil, unless they service quite a few Corvettes. Is this Dexos 2 oil available in the U.S. commonly? I work for a U.S. company, and often drive to Buffalo NY to fly out of that airport, and would gladly stop by any of the U.S. national auto supply chains to grab a few 4 quart jugs, if only to have some on hand if needed.

Thanks!

LateLifeCrisis
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis
Good day, all.

New C7 owner here (my wife and sons bought it for me on the sly for a birthday/retirement gift in April). As a new 2019 LT1, Generous Motors Canada offers 4 "free" oil and filter change services in the first 2 years. I noted that GM specifies strictly Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 Dexos 2 (not Dexos 1 Generation 2) for the oil, with strong hints of warranty validation only if this oil is used.

My question....how available is this specification of oil for purchase outside of GM dealers in the U.S. While I won't be changing my own oil on this vehicle while the N/C oil changes are available for the next 22 months, I prefer to do my own maintenance wherever possible, including oil changes. That way, I know it gets done the right way, with the right materials (oil and filter), after having been burnt once or twice in the past on other GM cars.

That particular specification of oil is like hens teeth in Canada so far, not just the Mobil 1 oil but any oil of the specified grade and Dexos 2 licensed label. Even many GM dealers don't seem to carry or be able to get/stock of this oil, unless they service quite a few Corvettes. Is this Dexos 2 oil available in the U.S. commonly? I work for a U.S. company, and often drive to Buffalo NY to fly out of that airport, and would gladly stop by any of the U.S. national auto supply chains to grab a few 4 quart jugs, if only to have some on hand if needed.

Thanks!

LateLifeCrisis
Mobile says it will have it later this year.
The following users liked this post:
LateLifeCrisis (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

As an alternative to 0w40 ESP, I have been using Mobil 1 ESP in the 5w30 viscosity, as it's actually on the thick end of the 30 weight range and is almost a 40 weight anyways (it's 12.1 cst at 100c and 12.5 cst is the starting point for 40 weight). It's pricey up here, but the 0w40 will be too once it arrives. The regular price at Canadian Tire and Part Source is $16.79 per liter, but if you wait for deals (like a no tax event or buy $75 worth of product and get $25 off) it'll be less than that. The 5w30 version is also dexos2 rated, and if you look at it's technical specifications I think it's a more impressive oil. It has less sulphated ash (0.6 vs 0.8) it has a higher flash point (254C vs 234C) and a higher HTHS (3.58 vs 3.55)
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
LateLifeCrisis (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 AM
LateLifeCrisis
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Ernie & Patman. The information is much appreciated. I will keep an eye out for the in-store availability (hopefully in the multi-quart/liter jugs) of the original spec 0W40 oil, and I'll keep the alternative in mind as well.

LLC
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts

Dealer should have it. Be careful of Liter vs Quart size containers
Old 06-25-2018, 02:03 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Walmart M1 0-40W,Euro Spec, 5 qt jug, $23.00
Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Walmart M1 0-40W,Euro Spec, 5 qt jug, $23.00
That version is not warranty approved, it does not have the dexos2 certification

Get notified of new replies

To Noob question - Mobil1 ESP Dexos2 0W40 oil availability

Quick Reply: Noob question - Mobil1 ESP Dexos2 0W40 oil availability