C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav-TV M650-GM SKU NTV-KIT838 650 GM Install C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Nav-TV M650-GM SKU NTV-KIT838 650 GM Install C7 Corvette

Hello,

Posting this for all that follow in my footsteps, I spent substantial time getting wrong info and no results trying to find out where the module was located to plug in the Nav-TV M650-GM on the 2017 Grand Sport Convertible. Hopefully the next person installing this unit in a C7 will have a much easier time after reading this.

It is located on the passenger floor at the firewall buried directly behind 2 other modules where you can not see it.

Pull back passenger floor carpet. Remove metal plate by removing one center bolt on top and two on the floor. Be careful it is hard to move around and very sharp will cut you or scratch interior.
I removed the two plug holder brackets with a little screw driver to pry up the catch, and removed the push on wire loom attachments that were holding it in there, and unbolted the plate with four 7mm from the first (Metal) module, which I believe is a track recording system which you may or may not have.
Carefully set metal plate outside of the car.
There is a second black module directly behind it. Remove module from plastic housing by pushing on the clip and it easily comes out sideways.
Carefully set aside with other module.
The black plastic housing for second module completely covers the 3rd module behind it which is the one you want to plug into.
I was able to bend the plastic housing on the left side out enough to fit my fingers behind it and unplug the 2 white plugs which are under the plastic housing on the upper left side of passenger firewall.
I would not try to remove the module using this method, it is too long to fit out without stressing the plastic beyond its ability to recover or damaging module plug ends.
Plugging in the M650 was easy with a 2 finger method around the back of housing.

Upon putting back together, carefully replace the metal plate, the top is sharp and there is a big power wire right next to it, do not slice any insulation struggling with it.

Initial results were spectacular, my subs sounds SUBSTANTIALLY better then they did with high level signal tap from passenger door sub which was about as good as you could get using the inexpensive Audio Control LC2i method.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mewn:
baskethead (07-13-2018), DWillys (06-27-2018), gunkk (07-08-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:43 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks for the post and very timely. I just ordered a M650 a couple hours ago. Were you able to use the 20% off coupon?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Mewn
Pro

Originally Posted by DWillys
Thanks for the post and very timely. I just ordered a M650 a couple hours ago. Were you able to use the 20% off coupon?
Yes! Perfect timing! I got mine in 2 days. Was so happy about the 20% off, I was planning on paying full price lol.Are you going to use the 24/96 digital output?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Mewn
Pro

Couple things, the bottom left corner of my carpet at the firewall seemed to not like being bent back for 12 hours, and it left a little noticeable baldness under the fibers. I do not think anyone else would really notice but I did. Also I broke the forward mid clip off my passenger side kick panel, it has a little square pedestal, was a bitch to get off and very brittle I used super glue to fix it, worked perfect. I mounted the 650 on the left side of the metal plate optical up, up against the beginning of the center tunnel area in a perfect empty flat spot with industrial 3m velcro. Carpet covered it fine.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Since my DSP is going to mount behind the rear plastic I plan on using the toslink connection. If it was near the DSP I'd probably just use a regular analog connection. I'm planning on doing a complete noise deadening so the interior will be stripped when I do the M650 install.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewn
Yes! Perfect timing! I got mine in 2 days. Was so happy about the 20% off, I was planning on paying full price lol.Are you going to use the 24/96 digital output?
you probably could have saved a ton of time and driven over to NAV tv for support since they are in CS anyhow..
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
Where did you find a coupon?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

They had a sale on their site when I bought mine.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

If anyone is in need of a GM-650 Let me know via PM I am an authorized direct dealer for NAV TV I can assist in getting you priced up....
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

[QUOTE=jamiejam1;1598693317]If anyone is in need of a GM-650 Let me know via PM I am an authorized direct dealer for NAV TV I can assist in getting you priced up....[/QUOTE
I sent you a PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM
motojager
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiejam1
If anyone is in need of a GM-650 Let me know via PM I am an authorized direct dealer for NAV TV I can assist in getting you priced up....
Can you explain the benefits this has over the AP4-GM61 that make it cost $500.00 more?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:02 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by motojager
Can you explain the benefits this has over the AP4-GM61 that make it cost $500.00 more?
simply put It is an american designed, american made ( the boards and circuits are printed here in south fla.. its software and firmware upgradable and scalable the reverse engineering of it is superior.. Pac Made this unoit after copying what NAV tv did.. just remember You Get what you pay for....
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

But doesn't the Pac version do the exact same thing?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

simply put It is an american designed, american made ( the boards and circuits are printed here in south fla.. its software and firmware upgradable and scalable the reverse engineering of it is superior.. Pac Made this unoit after copying what NAV tv did.. just remember You Get what you pay for....
So they really do physically make this unit here in Coral Springs, FL?

If so that is great... I'd prefer to support a local company but I am not seeing any value add here, they are pricing themselves out of the market. The NAV-TV and PAC unit do have some slightly different features so there are reasons to pick one over the other. However both of them require that the stock amplifier remains connected which seems odd to me. I guess the advantage with that is if desired you could just add a sub and keep the rest of the system stock.

The Axxess AX-DSP-MOST1 is the OEM integration unit that interests me the most. It completely eliminates the stock amp requirement and includes a basic DSP plus all the wiring harnesses, including the amp by-pass / speaker wire connections. Price wise its more then the PAC unit but still way less NAV-TV. I really don't need the DSP as I plan on running a JBL MS-8 but having it included means the Axxess unit is the value leader here. The scary thing is there are almost no reviews on the Axxess unit and no detailed audio specs (unknown output voltage for example). The Axxess is a 2 part solution - it has a generic DSP (which you must use) and a secondary "black box" that interfaces into system via a T-harness at the amp location (easier to reach in the 'Vette). The NAV-TV unit in comparison is clearly made to work the GM system directly as it installs directly to the factory radio (passenger foot well location). Sadly the Rockford DSR1 doesn't have a GM / Bose iDataLink Maestro interface yet or that would give us a fourth option here.

Once again it all depends on the install, so I can see a market for all 3 of these units. I have not personally installed any of these so I am just going on spec sheets and reviews I've read.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

I contacted Axxess about the AX-DSP-MOST1 and found the DSP cannot be bypassed. So as a budget solution it may be ok, but if you plan on using a more sophisticated DSP it really isn't the right item to buy.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:11 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JMII
So they really do physically make this unit here in Coral Springs, FL?

If so that is great... I'd prefer to support a local company but I am not seeing any value add here, they are pricing themselves out of the market. The NAV-TV and PAC unit do have some slightly different features so there are reasons to pick one over the other. However both of them require that the stock amplifier remains connected which seems odd to me. I guess the advantage with that is if desired you could just add a sub and keep the rest of the system stock.

The Axxess AX-DSP-MOST1 is the OEM integration unit that interests me the most. It completely eliminates the stock amp requirement and includes a basic DSP plus all the wiring harnesses, including the amp by-pass / speaker wire connections. Price wise its more then the PAC unit but still way less NAV-TV. I really don't need the DSP as I plan on running a JBL MS-8 but having it included means the Axxess unit is the value leader here. The scary thing is there are almost no reviews on the Axxess unit and no detailed audio specs (unknown output voltage for example). The Axxess is a 2 part solution - it has a generic DSP (which you must use) and a secondary "black box" that interfaces into system via a T-harness at the amp location (easier to reach in the 'Vette). The NAV-TV unit in comparison is clearly made to work the GM system directly as it installs directly to the factory radio (passenger foot well location). Sadly the Rockford DSR1 doesn't have a GM / Bose iDataLink Maestro interface yet or that would give us a fourth option here.

Once again it all depends on the install, so I can see a market for all 3 of these units. I have not personally installed any of these so I am just going on spec sheets and reviews I've read.
Not only that guys, but you are missing one huge factor... PAC Units which are made and distributed via AAmp Global out of Tampa is a chinese made unit. although it does sound OK its made a bit cheaper lower end components which for an audiophile wont cut it... the NAV TV functions are comparable yes but the end sound quality aspect is superior.. additionally you may be missing the factors here that the Factory amp facillitates clicks for turn signals, chimes, beeps, alerts etc/... so by bypassing the amp you will lose all of that not to mention OnStar...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
But doesn't the Pac version do the exact same thing?
at lesser quality,... s the previous post before this.,..

Get notified of new replies

To Nav-TV M650-GM SKU NTV-KIT838 650 GM Install C7 Corvette

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

Update: More Fun today... So we dropped the A-pillars removed the visors and then the tweeter pods... In looking at the Tweets, they are simple 4 Ohm 1" drivers (which we already know.. I replaced them with the ARC's but to fit them I had to nip the flanged edge 3/8" 5 or 6 times then pressure fit the tweets right in. After I hot glued the tweets in place... ( See Photos. ) I took 1/4 in MDF cut the templates from the 10" Mid Bass' and pre drilled them into the door to act as a mount plate for the door speakers. to seal them up ill use dum dum (Butyl) to solidify the mount between the board and the body. Tomm Ill cut the template for the 6's in the door. We also ran the Fiber Optic TosLink cable from the back of the car to the front for the audio signal... and buried it in the factory harness run... Now that all the necessary wires are run, the interior can fully go back in ... everything else is trunk and door panel... A foor Note from the VP of NAV TV today in conversation... He told me to make sure to Ground everything in the rear directly to the battery.. the vette is notorious for having ground issues due to how the frame is constructed.....

Last edited by jamiejam1; 01-17-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
jamiejam1
Intermediate

The following users liked this post:
JMII (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Not only that guys, but you are missing one huge factor... PAC Units which are made and distributed via AAmp Global out of Tampa is a chinese made unit. although it does sound OK its made a bit cheaper lower end components which for an audiophile wont cut it... the NAV TV functions are comparable yes but the end sound quality aspect is superior.. additionally you may be missing the factors here that the Factory amp facillitates clicks for turn signals, chimes, beeps, alerts etc/... so by bypassing the amp you will lose all of that not to mention OnStar...
The NAV-TV has some really good specs and thus higher quality...
but the PAC manual clearly states:
The module also retains all audio from other vehicle features such as factory navigation prompts, Bluetooth, OnStar, parking sensor chimes, safety alerts, reminders and infotainment

In looking at the Tweets, they are simple 4 Ohm 1" drivers (which we already know.. I replaced them with the ARC's but to fit them I had to nip the flanged edge 3/8" 5 or 6 times then pressure fit the tweets right in. After I hot glued the tweets in place... ( See Photos. )

A foor Note from the VP of NAV TV today in conversation... He told me to make sure to Ground everything in the rear directly to the battery.. the vette is notorious for having ground issues due to how the frame is constructed.....
Thanks for the info. So the tweeter is in a tube that is attached to the grille? WTF? That has to ruin the dispersion pattern. Stupid Bose

I noticed in your previous photos all the extra factory ground points - so good advice about going back to the source. Aluminum frame + composite body means your standard steel unibody grounding rules don't apply here. You can't just find some random metal part and bolt into it.

Last edited by JMII; 01-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Nav-TV M650-GM SKU NTV-KIT838 650 GM Install C7 Corvette