C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on upgrading fuel system on a 2014 and 2014/15 differences

Old 06-30-2018, 02:18 PM
ArcticWhite
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Question on upgrading fuel system on a 2014 and 2014/15 differences

I've done extensive reading on the forum and yet still have questions on increasing the fuelling on a 2014. I am doing a LT4 blower conversion on my car and want to pulley it for approx. 570 to 600 at the tires. This is following a build that onebad1le did (I bought his lower pulley to spin the blower the same as he was). Apparently, due to the torque that PD blowers make at low rpm and the resulting fuel requirements, th LT1 system is not up to the task. Even if you upgrade the injectors to handle 600rwhp, the issue is that the HP fuel pump is mechanical and not pumping at its max capacity at low rpms and therefore is not able to keep up to the fuel requirements. onebad1le went to the Z06 fuel pump and injectors and was able to supply the required fuel.

However, my car is a 2014 which complicates things as well. From what I can see, the in-take fuel pumps in 2014 do not flow as much as the 2015 and up, so it is uncertain whether then need upgrading. Also, the fuelling settings in the ECU are different between 2014 and 2015 to the point where there was a comment made that a 2014 won't even run on 2015 fuelling settigns in the ECU. I have not been able to find the reason for this.

So, I thought I would ask the following questions:

1. Is there a better way to get the fuel required for an lt4 blower than going to a Z06 fuel pump and injectors? This is about a $1500 touch.
2. Does anyone know if I will have to change my in-tank pumps out to 2015 Z06 pumps to get the required fuel?
3. Is there anyone that has tuned a 2014 with Z06 fuel upgrades? Apparently it is not just injector size. The Z06 HPFP runs at around 2800 to 2900psi vs 2200 to 2300psi for the base pump. I am wondering what else is different as well (not just base to Z06 fuel system but also 2014 to 2015 base fuel system). I saw mention in one thread of 2015+ cars having completely different fuel configuration to the point where a 2014 won't even run on a 2015 fuel settings (base car to base car, non Z06). I am wondering if there is anything else in the system contributing to this? Different fuel pressure sensor for the higher psi and thus different scaling? There was one comment on a electronic fuel pressure regulator being different but I see no electronic way of regulating fuel pressure in the system. I am curious what would have to be upgraded on a 2014 fuel system to make it look like a 2015 system in the tune?

I'm trying to get a good understanding of the fuel system. This requires knowing the differences between 2014 and 2015 fuel systems base to base as well as the differences between a 2015 base and 2015 Z06 fuel system. These cars are incredibly complex, it appears GM made changes between the two years that have fairly significant impact to the system and the tunes, and it appears there is not a lot of this info out there.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:52 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Old 07-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The 15+ stingrays got some of the Z06 fuel parts like the fuel pump control module with some different settings but you can run Z06 HPFP and injectors on a 14 if you want to.

Personally, I would forgo all the factory style fuel system upgrades if I was going to do it again (was a 416ci stroker with a blower) and do it right with a supplemental port injection system (which didn't exist at the time) or just use the right amount of meth (but this is a crappy way to provide fuel and dangerous).

With these cars you have to pay to play and most of the money goes into the fuel system (and pistons for the LT1).
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticWhite
I've done extensive reading on the forum and yet still have questions on increasing the fuelling on a 2014. I am doing a LT4 blower conversion on my car and want to pulley it for approx. 570 to 600 at the tires. This is following a build that onebad1le did (I bought his lower pulley to spin the blower the same as he was). Apparently, due to the torque that PD blowers make at low rpm and the resulting fuel requirements, th LT1 system is not up to the task. Even if you upgrade the injectors to handle 600rwhp, the issue is that the HP fuel pump is mechanical and not pumping at its max capacity at low rpms and therefore is not able to keep up to the fuel requirements. onebad1le went to the Z06 fuel pump and injectors and was able to supply the required fuel.

However, my car is a 2014 which complicates things as well. From what I can see, the in-take fuel pumps in 2014 do not flow as much as the 2015 and up, so it is uncertain whether then need upgrading. Also, the fuelling settings in the ECU are different between 2014 and 2015 to the point where there was a comment made that a 2014 won't even run on 2015 fuelling settigns in the ECU. I have not been able to find the reason for this.

So, I thought I would ask the following questions:

1. Is there a better way to get the fuel required for an lt4 blower than going to a Z06 fuel pump and injectors? This is about a $1500 touch.
2. Does anyone know if I will have to change my in-tank pumps out to 2015 Z06 pumps to get the required fuel?
3. Is there anyone that has tuned a 2014 with Z06 fuel upgrades? Apparently it is not just injector size. The Z06 HPFP runs at around 2800 to 2900psi vs 2200 to 2300psi for the base pump. I am wondering what else is different as well (not just base to Z06 fuel system but also 2014 to 2015 base fuel system). I saw mention in one thread of 2015+ cars having completely different fuel configuration to the point where a 2014 won't even run on a 2015 fuel settings (base car to base car, non Z06). I am wondering if there is anything else in the system contributing to this? Different fuel pressure sensor for the higher psi and thus different scaling? There was one comment on a electronic fuel pressure regulator being different but I see no electronic way of regulating fuel pressure in the system. I am curious what would have to be upgraded on a 2014 fuel system to make it look like a 2015 system in the tune?

I'm trying to get a good understanding of the fuel system. This requires knowing the differences between 2014 and 2015 fuel systems base to base as well as the differences between a 2015 base and 2015 Z06 fuel system. These cars are incredibly complex, it appears GM made changes between the two years that have fairly significant impact to the system and the tunes, and it appears there is not a lot of this info out there.
What did you find out? I am interested in this too. In particular, on my Camaro, I upgraded in-tank fuel pump to the ZL1 pump and was assuming I would have to do the same thing on the Stingray. Curious what you found out.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on upgrading fuel system on a 2014 and 2014/15 differences

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on upgrading fuel system on a 2014 and 2014/15 differences