C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best daily-drivable performance mods for the price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 PM
marshalllussier
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best daily-drivable performance mods for the price?

I daily drive my 7 speed 2014 Stingray 3LT Z51 and absolutely adore it. However, i'm always gonna want more power. I dont have too tight of a budget but I was wondering what y'all suggest would be the best mods for the price while still retaining the functionality and comfort a daily driver needs, especially since 90% of my driving is unfortunately in the city. Hoping to get to around 600whp

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:37 PM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

600 horsepower at the wheel will require a supercharger.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM
konqueror5
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Your goal doesn't leave many options. Headers intake tune runs around 3K for parts labor and tuning depending what you get and if you do your own install. I'm just at 437/442 with those mods. Save up 7K go big and get a ECS or A&A installed/tuned at a reputable shop.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The most affordable and enjoyable mod will always be the driver improvement mod. Until you can wring your car out totally on a track and make use of all the power/handling it has now there isn't much sense in adding more power you will never really use. The better you get at using the power and handling the car has now the more likely it is you will actually be skilled enough to use any additional power when you decide to add it.

Bill
Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 352 Posts

I agree with you bill 100% However I think a lot of people are looking for some more power to basically go light to light,straightaways,or just jumping on it taking an on ramp. Let’s face it, doing that with only 400 hp doesn’t exactly require a bunch of skill.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I too am with post # 4.
Daily driver with more performance on a budget.

You have a Z51 w/ 7sp so you have the performance for a daily.
You could consider a slight lowering (1/2 inch) and a custom alignment.
And also one of those throttle enhancers like COW etal.

Otherwise the standard long tube headers, cold air intake, camshaft & tune, but that wont be 600 HP
Sticker tires never hurt for fun either.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:00 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy a Z06
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Here at JDP Motorsports we have a 650 package that we can help you get to your desire goal.
if you have any questions shoot me an email @ Antonio@jdpmotorsports.com

thanks
Best regards
Antonio velarde

Click HERE to send me a PM Sales@jdpmotorsports.com www.jdpmotorsports.com JDP Facebook 801.545.4215
Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

I never understood why people respond to questions like this with "do the driver mod instead"

Anyhow, to get to 600whp you will likely need to go with a supercharger to avoid changing the driving characteristics of the car. However, without drop in pistons at least, you are risking it in my opinion. 600whp on stock pistons is at the borderline of safe. If you did the full gamut of bolt ons (intake, ported intake manifold/tb, headers, exhaust, tune) you will pick up a good amount of power with out sacrificing drive-ability. Then if you want more, you can do pistons and a blower down the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
Fredtp (07-22-2018), USMC 0802 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

for what you described a supercharger will do the trick while keeping stock driveability.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:36 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I never understood why people respond to questions like this with "do the driver mod instead"

Anyhow, to get to 600whp you will likely need to go with a supercharger to avoid changing the driving characteristics of the car. However, without drop in pistons at least, you are risking it in my opinion. 600whp on stock pistons is at the borderline of safe. If you did the full gamut of bolt ons (intake, ported intake manifold/tb, headers, exhaust, tune) you will pick up a good amount of power with out sacrificing drive-ability. Then if you want more, you can do pistons and a blower down the road.
+1, we don't even know about his driving skills, etc.; dare I say it, I think it's rude to even speculate that he needs to learn how to drive more, etc. Besides, it's his/her choice and we're not his/her father : )

+1 on the goal being too aggressive for stock internals. At that point, since you don't have much margin left for safety, you'll have to be lucky with tuner, fuel quality, etc. I personally don't trust any tuner. If I were you, I'd consider finding a cheap leftover 2017 or so Z06, and be done with it.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:53 PM
marshalllussier
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The most affordable and enjoyable mod will always be the driver improvement mod. Until you can wring your car out totally on a track and make use of all the power/handling it has now there isn't much sense in adding more power you will never really use. The better you get at using the power and handling the car has now the more likely it is you will actually be skilled enough to use any additional power when you decide to add it.

Bill
I go to my local track about three times a month, which is why i'm looking for this performance. I would go more if I had the time. Yes, I do daily drive my car, and I can handle the power just fine, but that isnt to stop anyone from wanting more power. I have a budget of about $15,000. The "pricing" isnt really as much of a concern, I just didnt know how to word it right. I still want to keep stock drivability and comfort around town but increase power at WOT.

Get notified of new replies

To Best daily-drivable performance mods for the price?

Quick Reply: Best daily-drivable performance mods for the price?