C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the tech sub-forum flooded with vendor ads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Why is the tech sub-forum flooded with vendor ads?

I understand the classifieds get flooded every single day with daily bumps from vendors. I get that. We need them to be successful to have a good forum thrive.

Why on earth are they allowed to post ads in the tech sub-forum?????
The following 4 users liked this post by xxaarraa:
konqueror5 (07-18-2018), Red Bearon (07-16-2018), Scoobydoobydoo (07-17-2018), taz2016 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

That's the way this site works but I agree it seems a bit much in the sub forums. It is even worse in the Forced Induction sub forum where vendor posts often outnumber members' posts. I think that vendors should be restricted to posting topic specific ads in the sub forums, but even that wouldn't help the general Tech or Discussion forums.

Last edited by raylo; 07-16-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

I've brought this up about the "parts for sale" section but it is what it is. Free forum requires advertising money to keep running. Also, the vendors here also tend to give plenty of free advice which is great. The good thing is it is pretty easy to sift through the vendor stuff (it's obvious through the title). The only thing i'd say would be, maybe it could have a colored title tag like the parts section .
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Agree with both of you above. However, "vendors are the reason forums survive" is a myth. Forums survive because they provide quality discussion and exchange of ideas and that drives a healthy community of like minded users. Plenty of other motorcycle and car forums out there that all do well without this incessant vendor bumps and ads in every sub-forum. i.e., forum owners do not have to resort to degrading quality of sub-forums to monetize the traffic. That problem has been solved elsewhere.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-16-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:56 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Exactly. What piques my interest or “sells” me on something are the user reports and experiences not the ads. Sometimes makes it hard to resist the urge to mid.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

A vendor did a mass posting into multiple forums, most with no bearing on what he was selling. I pointed it out to him and he threatened to have me banned. He accomplished two things - I know know vendors here are given carte blanche and he lost a potential customer forever.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:51 PM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Because this forum is not run well at all. Never been on another forum that lets the vendors post where ever they'd like. It's ridiculous.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:52 PM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I've brought this up about the "parts for sale" section but it is what it is. Free forum requires advertising money to keep running. Also, the vendors here also tend to give plenty of free advice which is great. The good thing is it is pretty easy to sift through the vendor stuff (it's obvious through the title). The only thing i'd say would be, maybe it could have a colored title tag like the parts section .
They should offer advise, but they should also have to keep for sale threads isolated to the for sale area. In the tech areas they should be providing technical assistance not actively selling.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

why do we get these threads over and over again in the General section and not the help section? Especially considering we do this at least once a week.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the tech sub-forum flooded with vendor ads?

Quick Reply: Why is the tech sub-forum flooded with vendor ads?