OEM Micehlin PSS vs Tire Rack - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Micehlin PSS vs Tire Rack

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM
  #1  
dfettero
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 384
Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Default OEM Micehlin PSS vs Tire Rack

Are the OEM Michelin PSS that you can buy at the dealer the same as ones can buy from Tire Rack or other major distributors?

Last edited by dfettero; 07-16-2018 at 12:18 PM.
dfettero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 PM
  #2  
madrob2020
CF Senior Member
 
madrob2020's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: MOUNTAIN HOME Arkansas
Posts: 1,230
Thanked 307 Times in 217 Posts
Default

No, they are $500-700 more! Sorry, yes. Michelin doesn't make "SPECIAL" tires secretly marked "DEALERS ONLY". Rubber compound is no different. I'm pretty sure I have seen posts here stating the tires for C7s, some models, were specially made to GM specs but all PSS/Cups are same.
madrob2020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
  #3  
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,879
Thanked 565 Times in 496 Posts
Default

As long as you are looking at these If u have optional 19/20 combo they are the same as OEM
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...ar=Z51+Package

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-16-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Dcasole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM
  #4  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 31,502
Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,771 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by madrob2020 View Post
s but all PSS/Cups are same.
Well not exactly. The PSS ZP and Cup2 ZP have specific Corvette only rubber compounds. That is why it is a little more difficult to just swap tires to non run flats because things besides the sidewalls are different. You can't compare the MPS4 tire to a PSS tire and assume the comparison is the same for the PSS ZP.

Bill

Bill Dearborn is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Dearborn For This Useful Post:
madrob2020 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 PM
  #5  
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,879
Thanked 565 Times in 496 Posts
Default

Or these if u have the 18/19 combo , if dealer can match the price go for it . Dont forget u have to add mounting and road force balance to tire racks price .....
Dave
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...Standard+Model
Dcasole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 AM
  #6  
[email protected]
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: 877-522-8473 ext. 4362
Posts: 4,732
Thanked 107 Times in 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12
Default

Originally Posted by dfettero View Post
Are the OEM Michelin PSS that you can buy at the dealer the same as ones can buy from Tire Rack or other major distributors?

yes ... exactly the same

many dealers purchase them from us

Luke@tirerack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:03 AM
  #7  
madrob2020
CF Senior Member
 
madrob2020's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: MOUNTAIN HOME Arkansas
Posts: 1,230
Thanked 307 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
yes ... exactly the same

many dealers purchase them from us
Yes dfettero (OP) this is true, however Tire Racks prices aren't what you'll pay at the dealer by a long shot!

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-17-2018 at 08:03 AM.
madrob2020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:01 AM
  #8  
Neumonic2002
CF Senior Member
 
Neumonic2002's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: STL MO
Posts: 1,771
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default

I have purchased many tires from Tire Rack, always had a top notch experience doing so!

My Chevy/Cadillac dealer sells tires at $5 per tire over cost as they are smart enough to know they will get additional work from the customer sooner or later. I have purchased my last two sets of tires from said dealer with prices that couldn't be beat!

They also use all the latest Hunter technology and do a great job mounting and balancing tires.
Neumonic2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 AM
  #9  
Bmwmike
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Long Island New York
Posts: 480
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
yes ... exactly the same

many dealers purchase them from us
I buy all my personal tires for my cars from Tire rack and I work at a dealer. Always great customers service from Tire rack on all my transactions.
Bmwmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 AM
  #10  
rrsperry
CF Senior Member
 
rrsperry's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,403
Thanked 334 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
Well not exactly. The PSS ZP and Cup2 ZP have specific Corvette only rubber compounds. That is why it is a little more difficult to just swap tires to non run flats because things besides the sidewalls are different. You can't compare the MPS4 tire to a PSS tire and assume the comparison is the same for the PSS ZP.

Bill
Ok, I'm not quite believing that. Are you saying that if you buy a PSS, or CUP tire from the dealer and Tire Rack, (same model, ZP, and size) there is a difference in compound? I mean, yes, PSS4 are differnet than PSS, but if you order the same tire, it's the same tire...
rrsperry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 AM
  #11  
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,879
Thanked 565 Times in 496 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rrsperry View Post
Ok, I'm not quite believing that. Are you saying that if you buy a PSS, or CUP tire from the dealer and Tire Rack, (same model, ZP, and size) there is a difference in compound? I mean, yes, PSS4 are differnet than PSS, but if you order the same tire, it's the same tire...
Right , I agree , unless its otherwise noted , my AMG does list MB specific tires , not sure what the difference is , I am think it's the MB extended mobility which is a fact name for runflats ...lol
Dave
Dcasole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM
  #12  
madrob2020
CF Senior Member
 
madrob2020's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: MOUNTAIN HOME Arkansas
Posts: 1,230
Thanked 307 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rrsperry View Post
Ok, I'm not quite believing that. Are you saying that if you buy a PSS, or CUP tire from the dealer and Tire Rack, (same model, ZP, and size) there is a difference in compound? I mean, yes, PSS4 are differnet than PSS, but if you order the same tire, it's the same tire...
Originally Posted by Dcasole View Post
Right , I agree , unless its otherwise noted , my AMG does list MB specific tires , not sure what the difference is , I am think it's the MB extended mobility which is a fact name for runflats ...lol
Dave
Guys (hope I'm correct), I believe he's saying that the ZP (runflats) are what was specified by GM especially for the C7, for sure the GS/Z06/7. If you go to a non runflat in same tire, MPSS, the compound will be different & will not handle as well due to rubber compound & the sidewall. I think I read were the inner or outer sidewall is made even stiffer (different) from the other sidewall for better handling. It's the ZP versus non-runflats that are different compound. I'm sure Bill will be back to tell me/us the truth, the man is beyond just knowledgeable.
madrob2020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM
  #13  
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,879
Thanked 565 Times in 496 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by madrob2020 View Post
Guys (hope I'm correct), I believe he's saying that the ZP (runflats) are what was specified by GM especially for the C7, for sure the GS/Z06/7. If you go to a non runflat in same tire, MPSS, the compound will be different & will not handle as well due to rubber compound & the sidewall. I think I read were the inner or outer sidewall is made even stiffer (different) from the other sidewall for better handling. It's the ZP versus non-runflats that are different compound. I'm sure Bill will be back to tell me/us the truth, the man is beyond just knowledgeable.
I agree with you on Bill's knowledge!!!
Dcasole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 AM
  #14  
tobaccokid
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Posts: 207
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Is it April 1st already ?
tobaccokid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM
  #15  
dfettero
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 384
Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Default ZP vs ZP

Original question was about the C7 OEM supplied Michelin PSS ZP vs major tire seller supplied Michelin PSS ZP.


Originally Posted by Dcasole View Post
I agree with you on Bill's knowledge!!!
dfettero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM
  #16  
atljar
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Mason Ohio
Posts: 1,118
Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
Default

There is such a thing as a tire made specifically for a car manufacture, and they are "different". This is even beyond runflat vs non runflat.

ie... you could have a 295/30/18 Mich PSS Non runflat and a manufacture specific 295/30/18 Mich PSS non runflat that are different compounds, sidewalls, and even width (seriously).

Here is the kicker, these manufacture specific tires are all "marked". BMW uses a Star on the sidewall, mercedes "MOE", Porsche "NO" etc etc. GM..... uses "TPC". If you get the TPC marking, regardless of where you purchase it, you are getting the exact same tire. Since they were mentioned, TireRack does a very good job of letting you know if they tires are designed for a specific manufacture. In C7 Z sizes, the only MPSS and M cup2s available are TPC spec so theres no chance of getting in wrong (at least for the current time). Im honestly not sure whats available for stingray fitment.


I had a customer who put some large oversize wheels on his car a couple years ago. I told him the tires he wanted were back ordered. He found a couple from who knows where, and brought them in for mount/balance. I put them on, and immediately noted the rears were different widths. Not by marked size which was identicle, but by width on the wheels. Turns out one tire was a standard tire, and the other was Ferrari specific marking. They had a TOTALLY different profile to them on the wheel.

Last edited by atljar; 07-20-2018 at 02:15 PM.
atljar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM
  #17  
[email protected]
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: 877-522-8473 ext. 4362
Posts: 4,732
Thanked 107 Times in 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12
Default

Originally Posted by atljar View Post
There is such a thing as a tire made specifically for a car manufacture, and they are "different". This is even beyond runflat vs non runflat.

ie... you could have a 295/30/18 Mich PSS Non runflat and a manufacture specific 295/30/18 Mich PSS non runflat that are different compounds, sidewalls, and even width (seriously).

Here is the kicker, these manufacture specific tires are all "marked". BMW uses a Star on the sidewall, mercedes "MOE", Porsche "NO" etc etc. GM..... uses "TPC". If you get the TPC marking, regardless of where you purchase it, you are getting the exact same tire. Since they were mentioned, TireRack does a very good job of letting you know if they tires are designed for a specific manufacture. In C7 Z sizes, the only MPSS and M cup2s available are TPC spec so theres no chance of getting in wrong (at least for the current time). Im honestly not sure whats available for stingray fitment.
ok ... now the discussion has changed. Yes atljar is correct tire manufacturers do alter tire designs to meet auto makers requires and in many cases the "OE" type tires are significantly faster than the "standard" versions.

I made this post on here several years ago
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Many times tire engineers alter tires for a specific application, purpose or OE fitment. These changes can lead to dramatic performance differences even though the tire name, UTQG and appearance all remain identical to the original design. These "altered" tires are rarely discussed and the changes are, for the most part, considered proprietary information which doesn't get shared with the general public. Many times these types of altered tires are only seen on performance vehicles like the ZR1, a Dodge Viper SRT10 or a Porsche Turbo.

When people do find these "special build" tires in many instances they gain an competitive advantage just through tire selection.
Originally Posted by 2007 One Lap of America

Mid Ohio #1 - Time Trial - Results sorted by position Page 1
Pos Car # Vehicle Class Time Points

1 3 Dodge Hennessey Viper SSGT1 BB 5:00.571 435
Brian Smith, Nick Arevalo
2 1 Porsche 996 TT SSGT1 BB 5:07.871 430
Mark DaVia, Drew Wikstrom
3 14 Toyota Supra SSGT2 SB 5:08.041 425
Greg Caloudas, Leh Keen
4 2 Dodge Viper SSGT1 BB 5:09.325 420
Ronald Adee, Rick Schopp


question = how was 1 car over 7 seconds faster ?
answer = Pilot Sport PS2 C1

and since somebody will ask
question = why didn't it win overall ?
answer = car broke at 1 event and recorded a DNF
Originally Posted by 1 Lap of America

Miller Motorsports Park #1 - Time Trial
1 3 Dodge Hennessey Viper SSGT1 BB 5:11.379 435
Brian Smith, Nick Arevalo
2 14 Toyota Supra SSGT2 SB 5:17.340 430
Greg Caloudas, Leh Keen
3 8 Cheverolet Corvette SSGT1 BB 5:19.554 425
Steve Stubbs, Aaron Pfadt
4 1 Porsche 996 TT SSGT1 BB 5:21.466 420
Mark DaVia, Drew Wikstrom

For something a little more current

Quote:Originally Posted by Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational

B.F. Goodrich Hot Lap Challenge
1. Danny Popp, #14 01:42.208 (25)
2. Pete Callaway, #45 01:44.749 (22)
3. Mark Stielow, #01 01:45.410 (20)
4. Kyle Tucker, #13 01:48.430 (18)
5. Gary Rubio, #34 01:48.441 (16)
6. Mike Maier, #50 01:48.721 (15)
7. Brian Hobaugh, #47 01:48.879 (14)
8. Filip Trojanek, #44 01:50.265 (13)
9. David Mikels, #42 01:51.319 (12)
10. Vincent Allegretta, #12 01:51.584 (11)

RideTech Street Challenge Autocross
1. Danny Popp, #14 00:38.251 (25)
2. Mary Pozzi, #15 00:39.414 (22)
3. Brian Hobaugh, #47 00:39.502 (20)
4. Pete Callaway, #45 00:39.626 (18)
5. Mike Maier, #50 00:39.654 (16)
6. Brian Finch, #11 00:39.658 (15)
7. Mark Stielow, #01 00:40.017 (14)
8. Kyle Tucker, #13 00:40.031 (13)
9. Gary Rubio, #34 00:40.117 (12)
10. Mark Rife, #53 00:40.167 (11)


Now, I will be the first to concede that Danny Popp is an excellent driver and a true hotshoe but, those other cars and drivers are not slouches. Most if not all of the other entrants had a significant horsepower advantage. Many of them were somewhere north of 1000+ hp while the white raft racer Z06 was pushing approximately 600hp yet it prevailed.

Why .... tire selection

here's the tire combo that Danny won the street car invitational with

345/30R19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 C1 (Dodge Viper SRT10 OE)
315/30R18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N4 (Porsche GT3 OE)

both of these, as well as some other, specially engineered tires are rumored to have been manufactured using the same rubber compound found in Michelin's endurance racing tire the Pilot Sport Cup.

for your specific use I would suggest these
295/35R18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N4 (2012 Carrera 4 OE)
345/30R19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 C1 (Dodge Viper SRT10 OE)

and before anybody asks yes, the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP used on the ZR1 is rumored to be one of those uniquely engineered tires as well




Luke@tirerack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM
  #18  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 20,135
Thanked 474 Times in 321 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
ok ... now the discussion has changed. Yes atljar is correct tire manufacturers do alter tire designs to meet auto makers requires and in many cases the "OE" type tires are significantly faster than the "standard" versions.

I made this post on here several years ago
Our car is a 2017 Z51 A8. Still on the original PSS runflats.
The front tires are marked "tPc spec 1431", the rears are marked "tPc spec 1432".

If the replacement tires we buy aren't marked with those codes, how can we know what's different?
If the tPc spec means "more grip but lower fuel mileage", I'm all for the originals. But it could also mean "more fuel mileage but less grip".

Luke, do you know or can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Gearhead Jim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:10 PM
  #19  
rrsperry
CF Senior Member
 
rrsperry's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,403
Thanked 334 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Wow, your overthinking this.

decide ZP or not,
buy correct size or something else
drive the car.

unless you are trying to be the HPDE world champion, pretty much all tires will word in the real world. ( meaning you won’t be able to tell.)
rrsperry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:10 PM
  #20  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 20,135
Thanked 474 Times in 321 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

You may recall that for a year or two, the GM recommended tire pressure for the C7 was 35 psi. That degraded the ride, the handling, and the tire wear; but it allowed them to claim another 1/10th MPG. They are certainly capable of doing that kind of thing with tires specs also.
I'm not interested in paying a penalty for their silly games, but the problem is finding out the difference between the OEM tires and outside sources, and which is better for my usage. If I can get the information from a couple of minutes at the computer, I consider that time used well.

I do autocross and an occasional track weekend.
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Micehlin PSS vs Tire Rack


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: