C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A....procharger preferences???

Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default A&A....procharger preferences???

Just wondering who has what and what the pros say about either. Im either going to get the P-1X or A&A equivalent.

Thoughts??
Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Lots of discussion on this in the Forced Induction forum. Go have a look there. Bottom line for me is that all of these systems are really good but have their individual nuances that may or may not matter to you.

Procharger comes with tune and tuner and precut radiator shroud for intercooler mounting, and no need to move ABS module or remove crank pulley. But... they specify only the vertical intercooler for 2015 and later models. This may be fine for drag racers and the occasional highway pull but it sits in front of and blocks a lot of the radiator and will likely be unsuitable for track days and other hard use due to heat. At least one member with a later model ordered a horizontal intercooler and they shipped the vertical as specified for the later models. Seems some of the vendors' ordering pages allow ordering the horizontal for later years but the Procharger main site clearly says that 2015 and later only get vertical and they ship that.

A&A and ECS: both great kits and service with horizontal intercoolers (may require moving or removal of secondary heat exchanger on later models). A&A comes with a nice new balancer (that requires removal of your OEM pulley). But... with both have to move the ABS module which requires bending the hard lines. This is either no problem or a major problem depending on who you talk to. I know of at least one member here that had some serious issues with that. Also some logistics involved in getting a base tune and you need your own tuning device... or are willing to go find a shop to do a custom tune. Also requires the installer to cut the hole for the intercooler in the radiator shroud, which may be easier or harder than replacing it with a precut piece, depending on who you talk to.

Last edited by raylo; 07-21-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Originally Posted by raylo
Lots of discussion on this in the Forced Induction forum. Go have a look there. Bottom line for me is that all of these systems are really good but have their individual nuances that may or may not matter to you.

Procharger comes with tune and tuner and precut radiator shroud for intercooler mounting, and no need to move ABS module or remove crank pulley. But... they specify only the vertical intercooler for 2015 and later models. This may be fine for drag racers and the occasional highway pull but it sits in front of and blocks a lot of the radiator and will likely be unsuitable for track days and other hard use due to heat. At least one member with a later model ordered a horizontal intercooler and they shipped the vertical as specified for the later models. Seems some of the vendors' ordering pages allow ordering the horizontal for later years but the Procharger main site clearly says that 2015 and later only get vertical and they ship that.

A&A and ECS: both great kits and service with horizontal intercoolers (may require moving or removal of secondary heat exchanger on later models). A&A comes with a nice new balancer (that requires removal of your OEM pulley). But... with both have to move the ABS module which requires bending the hard lines. This is either no problem or a major problem depending on who you talk to. I know of at least one member here that had some serious issues with that. Also some logistics involved in getting a base tune and you need your own tuning device... or are willing to go find a shop to do a custom tune. Also requires the installer to cut the hole for the intercooler in the radiator shroud, which may be easier or harder than replacing it with a precut piece, depending on who you talk to.
Mine is a 2016
Heck I did not realize we had a forced induction section. I am kind of leaning towards the A&A. The balancer,as long as its certified im good.Removing the rack or relocating the ABS is alright.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 PM
raylo
Drifting

Also, I did not really look into the roots types too much since the centris make more sense to me. But I did take a quick glance at the Magnuson install manual thinking it might be easier install than the centris... but and it was like 55 pages. Yikes. I assume the Edelbrock and Z06 conversion would be similar, lots of plumbing for the air/water intercoolers. BTW, the FI forum is here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-nitrous-173/

I dunno about relocating the ABS. It needs to move a fair amount and if you screw up the hard lines you are in for a very expensive lesson. I wish ECS and/or A&A would post a youtube video of them actually performing that step. Not an abridged "look it's done" thing but actual hands on, where to put pressure on the lines, etc.

Last edited by raylo; 07-21-2018 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ghostnotes (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Personally I thought moving abs was very simple and took 10 minutes for me.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:23 PM
raylo
Drifting

Interesting... then you have Ant who can R&R an engine like nothing saying moving the ABS was a royal PITA. I'd really like to see it done.

Originally Posted by chefcg1
Personally I thought moving abs was very simple and took 10 minutes for me.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Ghostnotes
Racer

I would borrow a friends tubing benders more than likely. He is what is called an instrument fitter. Tubing is an art for them.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 PM
raylo
Drifting

Agree it'd be pretty easy if you disconnected the lines and used tube benders. But if you do that you will get air in the lines. Bleeding the brakes themselves wouldn't be a big deal but the ABS circuits are another deal altogether. Need a proper scan tool... and I can't say I have ever done that procedure. The trick they use to avoid that is barely loosen all the lines and "massage" them to move the unit. That's what I'd like to see.

Originally Posted by Ghostnotes
I would borrow a friends tubing benders more than likely. He is what is called an instrument fitter. Tubing is an art for them.

Last edited by raylo; 07-22-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

It's not 15 and up for Procharger. basically if your car has an extra horizontal cooler infront of the radiator, you can't get the horizontal procharger intercooler for obvious reasons.

I have a horizontal intercooler in my 2015 z51
Old 07-22-2018, 01:43 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostnotes
Don't. Just follow the instructions.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:17 PM
raylo
Drifting

We hear you Bruno, but.... the Procharger site and the tech that I spoke to at Procharger says 2015 and up can only use vertical. It sounds like they are clueless on this but at least one member who ordered horizontal from the vendor had Procharger substitute a vertical intercooler based entirely on the model year submitted with the order. Not sure how one could reconcile this 100% to get what you want. See post #3 in this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
It's not 15 and up for Procharger. basically if your car has an extra horizontal cooler infront of the radiator, you can't get the horizontal procharger intercooler for obvious reasons.

I have a horizontal intercooler in my 2015 z51
Old 07-22-2018, 07:49 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Interesting... then you have Ant who can R&R an engine like nothing saying moving the ABS was a royal PITA. I'd really like to see it done.
Lol yea it wasn’t awful or anything. It was just not a 10 minute job, at least not on my 2014. If you’ve seen anything I’ve done though you know that I have some “perfectionistic” tendencies so the fact that it took me a couple hours may not be the same for everyone. YMMV..

Ant
Old 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM
raylo
Drifting

LOL... Yeah, you do some good work and if it took you a couple of hours that makes me doubt it is "easy". Hard to tell if some other posts about it are accurate reports or sales pitches. ;-) Also looks like you have a good work space unlike some of us with 1-car closets. I swapped a cam out in there on my Camaro and would not try that again in my cramped space. Supercharger is probably doable, though.

Originally Posted by FYREANT

Lol yea it wasn’t awful or anything. It was just not a 10 minute job, at least not on my 2014. If you’ve seen anything I’ve done though you know that I have some “perfectionistic” tendencies so the fact that it took me a couple hours may not be the same for everyone. YMMV..

Ant
Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

LOL... Yeah, you do some good work and if it took you a couple of hours that makes me doubt it is "easy". Hard to tell if some other posts about it are accurate reports or sales pitches. ;-) Also looks like you have a good work space unlike some of us with 1-car closets. I swapped a cam out in there on my Camaro and would not try that again in my cramped space. Supercharger is probably doable, though.

trust me when I got to the stage to do the ABS movement I was rather nervous about the procedure. Fortunately for me loosening the lines and pushing/ pulling forward while moving each line gently worked like a charm and was done before I knew it. Not a sales pitch for A&A. Every car is different and everyone’s experience doing it will vary greatly as it has been documented in numerous threads on the form. Trust me I had other difficulties doing my install that others either didn’t encounter at all or was simply just not an issue for them. Andy at A&A and Numerous fellow forum members including Ant have helped me along the way.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:24 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Ok my next question is in regards to the A&A I see V1,3,7, T,SI AND YSI.
Edit:
Just spoke to Josh at A&A and will be going with the YSI with a 7.65 lower and a 3.6 upper for now(no meth yet) along with 2" headers. That should keep me around 700 ish for now and when I want to go over 1000 it will be less work. My bottom end can take it all day but I'm guessing past that= new clutch/flywheel, torque tube/shafts etc...

Last edited by Ghostnotes; 07-23-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:45 PM
raylo
Drifting

This is the detail I am having trouble with. I am not sure how you can bend any of the 6 individual lines one at a time when they are all connected to the block on one end and hard connected on the other ends. Seems you'd have to bend them pretty much simultaneously. I guess maybe if you remove the clips you can get enough freedom to act on one at a time at least a little bit?

Fortunately for me loosening the lines and pushing/ pulling forward while moving each line gently worked like a charm and was done before I knew it.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

This is the detail I am having trouble with. I am not sure how you can bend any of the 6 individual lines one at a time when they are all connected to the block on one end and hard connected on the other ends. Seems you'd have to bend them pretty much simultaneously. I guess maybe if you remove the clips you can get enough freedom to act on one at a time at least a little bit?

i pushed/ pulled the whole block keeping note if any of the lines looked out of line, when I did notice a line not conforming with the group I adjusted that line to get back in line with the group and continued to push or pull, which ever way gave me the best leverage. It really isn’t as difficult as I think it’s being made out to be is my point. Yes I think it would have been great if this was not needed to be done, but to gain 100+ rwhp you have to crack a few eggs and sometimes go out of your comfort zone. That’s the beauty of have multiple choices of kits to choose from. No matter which kit you ultimately decide on you will be happy with the gained power.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A....procharger preferences???

Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 AM
raylo
Drifting

Yeah, the 4 small lines on the top I think would be simple. With the direction the block moves those would pretty much just rotate which should be easy, especially with the nuts backed off a bit. But the 2 big lines that come into the body from the fender side I think would be difficult. If the block moves towards the firewall (and maybe toward the fender a bit?) those essentially need to be shortened and there isn't a lot of freedom to bend them.

i pushed/ pulled the whole block keeping note if any of the lines looked out of line, when I did notice a line not conforming with the group I adjusted that line to get back in line with the group and continued to push or pull, which ever way gave me the best leverage. It really isn’t as difficult as I think it’s being made out to be is my point.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 AM
ricmalaz
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a similar experience to chefcg1 in moving the ABS except it took a me couple of tries and probably more like 30 minutes of pushing and pulling and adjusting the lines. The first try resulted in moving it just enough to get the blower in, but it was rubbing on the ABS. I thought it wouldn't move any move so I called Josh at A&A and he re-assured me that it would move more. On the second attempt, I put a little more umph into it and got the extra clearance needed so it doesn't come close to touching the blower.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:28 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ricmalaz
I had a similar experience to chefcg1 in moving the ABS except it took a me couple of tries and probably more like 30 minutes of pushing and pulling and adjusting the lines. The first try resulted in moving it just enough to get the blower in, but it was rubbing on the ABS. I thought it wouldn't move any move so I called Josh at A&A and he re-assured me that it would move more. On the second attempt, I put a little more umph into it and got the extra clearance needed so it doesn't come close to touching the blower.
I agree that more umph is needed than one would initially expect or want to try. I was not as gentle as one would think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A&A....procharger preferences???