C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobile 1 113A oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Gregnkmc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 113A oil filter

I am wondering if the bypass pressure on the the new M1 113A is 22 psi , rather than 15..
Old 07-22-2018, 02:31 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregnkmc
I am wondering if the bypass pressure on the the new M1 113A is 22 psi , rather than 15..

I don't think Mobil one makes a filter but markets one made by someone else. If you look at the mobil one website on the specs. The chart says the 2007 and 2019 take the same one but that is WRONG so don't trust this filter they are not aware of the spec!

https://www.opticatonline.com/part/m...ine-oil-filter

Seems they could care less about the bypass spring they don't list the Important to us spec. Wix was another one selling the wrong filters for years and now they make a right one but you cannot find. Because of this BS I only buy the A/C pf-64 That is the right filter!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-22-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Several of us have contacted Mobil 1 and gotten different answers on the 113A. I got an e-mail reply that said yes, 22 psi... but others got "no". So, your guess is as good as any. Wix 10290XP is 22 psi and readily available online and seems to be a good alternative. I bought a few from Rock Auto. Of course, PF-64 is always good.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
Several of us have contacted Mobil 1 and gotten different answers on the 113A. I got an e-mail reply that said yes, 22 psi... but others got "no". So, your guess is as good as any. Wix 10290XP is 22 psi and readily available online and seems to be a good alternative.
I was one of the ones that received an email from Champion Labs that said the M1 113A has a bypass valve set to open between 12-18 psi.

Another alternative is the NAPA Gold 100290, that has the 22psi bypass valve and it's in NAPA stores now (I bought one about a month ago from a NAPA location in Niagara Falls, NY)

Fram is going to be releasing the Ultra XG12060 very soon as well, also with the 22psi bypass valve. This is the filter I intend on using when it comes out, I feel it's one of the best constructed oil filters on the market, and it's very reasonably priced at around $9 at Walmart.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 PM
raylo
Drifting

In a way they are right.... The irony in all this is the bypass valve really isn't going to be an issue for many of us since we drive so few miles between oil changes. Oil and filter just don't get dirty enough for any filter to bypass with ~ 10 qts of pretty clean oil (dry sump anyway) and filter being used for maybe 3000 miles. If filter back pressure builds to say 5 or 10 psi, it won't matter if the bypass is 15 or 22.

[QUOTE=
Seems they could care less about the bypass spring they don't list the Important to us spec. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by raylo; 07-22-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

If you are seeking the ultimate in oil filtration, you'll want to use the Royal Purple 10-48 (manufactured by Champion Laboratories), and here's why:

1) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects every consumer to use any oil filter of their choice, just so long as it meets the manufactures' specifications, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

2) The ACDelco PF64 is also manufactured by Champion Laboratories

3) And here's why Royal Purple is the ultimate:

1. Many oil filter elements' media is made from cellulose (paper), however all of the cellulose filter elements designed as compatible are in fact not equal. One major difference found between all brands, whether they use 100% cellulose or other filtering media is how many square inches of filtering media is used within the canister. This is significant because the larger filter element’s surface area allows for a higher GPM of flow with an increased capacity to trap contaminants compared with another cellulose element if made from the exact same media and provided all of the other filter system components were equal. The greater flow is a plus but the increased capacity isn’t extremely beneficial unless you plan to keep the filter in service for what I feel is an excessively large amount of miles for any cellulose filter (ex: 20,000 or even 12,000 miles), even if it is only subjected to a premium synthetic oil.

2. There are better oil filter media options than cellulose. After a lengthy conversation with an oil filter applications consultant at Champion Laboratories (the world’s largest supplier of filters and filtration products), I’ve learned that both the synthetic/cellulose blend and the 100% synthetic filter medias have these very important advantages over the traditional cellulose media:

• They filter out smaller contaminants, down to 10 micron (vs. 20 micron for cellulose). Tests prove that this will substantially reduce engine wear.
• Their ability to flow more GPM than cellulose with the same surface area.
• Provide a longer “in-engine wet service-life” rating (not just in terms of miles but also resistance to break down due to high heat and extended service time).

The Mobil 1 and K&N filters are mfg’d by Champion Labs, and both have identical internal construction and utilize the synthetic/cellulose blended media. For these top-of-line filters, Champion Labs utilize best of everything, e.g. strongest steel construction, best anti-drainback valves (when applicable), best bypass valves (when applicable), best gasket material, and the list goes on. The K&N has the nice differentiating feature of a hex nut formed in the bottom of the housing, for easy removal with a hand wrench.

3. Champion Laboratories says the very best oil filter is the one they manufacture for Royal Purple. This is due to the utilization of 100% synthetic media, not a synthetic/cellulose blend as the use in Mobil 1 and K&N.

• This filter uses 100% synthetic media for even greater flow, filtration, capacity and durability. Always use the model designed for your engine due to possible internal differences (by-pass valve). For the C7 Corvette, use Royal Purple part #10-48 (see: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...e-oil-filters/ ).
• Consider employing a filter magnet (see: http://www.shopfiltermag.com/choose-your-filtermag/ ) to capture steel particles as small as 2 micron; this will further reduce unnecessary engine wear. From their site: FilterMAG™ works by simply placing it onto the outside of the filter housing where the magnetic force automatically snaps it into place. The ultra strong magnetic force starts to work — forcibly trapping unwanted particles "locked" against the inside walls of your traditional filter.

I hope this helps!

Joe

Last edited by copjsd; 07-22-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tron1 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Patman
Race Director

In a way they are right.... The irony in all this is the bypass valve really isn't going to be an issue for many of us since we drive so few miles between oil changes. Oil and filter just don't get dirty enough for any filter to bypass with ~ 10 qts of pretty clean oil (dry sump anyway) and filter being used for maybe 3000 miles. If filter back pressure builds to say 5 or 10 psi, it won't matter if the bypass is 15 or 22.
The bypass valve setting is not just important when the oil filter starts to fill up with stuff. Oil filters will also go into bypass mode when the oil is colder, and you drive a bit harder, because the bypass valve is there to make sure you get a constant flow of oil at all times.

So in reality, we don't need to worry about the bypass pressure being slightly less than 22psi, it just means the filter will go into bypass mode a little bit more often when the oil is not up to operating temperature. It's most concerning to have a lower bypass filter in extreme cold weather, as it would be going into bypass mode much more often since it would take the oil longer to get up to operating temp.

That being said, I'd prefer to have a much better fully synthetic filtering media, which is less likely to go into bypass mode to begin with than a cellulose filtering media, along with the proper 22psi bypass just to be 100% safe.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 PM
raylo
Drifting

Exactly, which all means that with a slightly lower bypass you *may* get a few % more unfiltered oil.... Key word, may... and not likely to be significant. But all things being equal, sure, get a 22 psi filter. But I have one more M-113a in my shop that I am going to use and not lose any sleep over.

Originally Posted by Patman
The bypass valve setting is not just important when the oil filter starts to fill up with stuff. Oil filters will also go into bypass mode when the oil is colder, and you drive a bit harder, because the bypass valve is there to make sure you get a constant flow of oil at all times.

So in reality, we don't need to worry about the bypass pressure being slightly less than 22psi, it just means the filter will go into bypass mode a little bit more often when the oil is not up to operating temperature. It's most concerning to have a lower bypass filter in extreme cold weather, as it would be going into bypass mode much more often since it would take the oil longer to get up to operating temp.

That being said, I'd prefer to have a much better fully synthetic filtering media, which is less likely to go into bypass mode to begin with than a cellulose filtering media, along with the proper 22psi bypass just to be 100% safe.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Patman
Race Director

Exactly, which all means that with a slightly lower bypass you *may* get a few % more unfiltered oil.... Key word, may... and not likely to be significant. But all things being equal, sure, get a 22 psi filter. But I have one more M-113a in my shop that I am going to use and not lose any sleep over.
I personally think that an M1 filter, even with the slightly lower bypass opening pressure, is still a better choice over the PF64.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by copjsd

3. Champion Laboratories says the very best oil filter is the one they manufacture for Royal Purple. This is due to the utilization of 100% synthetic media, not a synthetic/cellulose blend as the use in Mobil 1 and K&N.
FWIW, the Fram Ultra oil filters use a dual layer fully synthetic media that is wire backed. And they are much easier to find (every Walmart carries them) than the Royal Purple filter. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the RP filter, but who wants to drive all over town looking for them, and pay more than double the price for them?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM
copjsd
Pro

Based on my extensive research (this includes media type, media amount, quality of the filters' many parts, filter performance), the best oil filters rank in this order:

1) Royal Purple 10-48 (manufactured by Champion Laboratories), available on Amazon (note: 100% full synthetic media)

2) Amsoil EA15K50-EA (note: 100% full synthetic media)

3) Fram Ultra-Synthetic XG10060 (not their other models), available on Amazon (note: the media may or may not be 100% full synthetic media; see my post five posts below)

4) Mobil 1 M1-113A or K&N HP-1017 - (both are manufactured by Champion Laboratories), and are identical, except the K&N has a hex fitting welded to the end of the filter housing, allowing for easy removal with a box-end wrench or socket. Both available on Amazon (note: not 100% full synthetic media, it is blended as is Fram)

Please read my post (five posts above) for more information.

Last edited by copjsd; 07-25-2018 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tron1 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

I use the M1 113-A on my 2015 Z51. Everything is fine.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by copjsd

3) Fram Ultra-Synthetic XG10060 (not their other models), available on Amazon (note: not 100% full synthetic media, it is blended as is Mobil 1 and K&N)

4) Mobil 1 M1-113A or K&N HP-1017 - (both are manufactured by Champion Laboratories), and are identical, except the K&N has a hex fitting welded to the end of the filter housing, allowing for easy removal with a box-end wrench or socket. Both available on Amazon (note: not 100% full synthetic media, it is blended as is Fram)

The Fram Ultra does not use a blended media, it uses a 2 ply, fully synthetic media. I'm not sure where you got that info that it was a blend.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:53 PM
copjsd
Pro

Originally Posted by Patman
The Fram Ultra does not use a blended media, it uses a 2 ply, fully synthetic media. I'm not sure where you got that info that it was a blend.
Hello, Patman,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I actually did a search on using my home computer moments before posting that info, so I'll check my history when I return home to see if I can find that info again. I believe it was a Fram page that compared the specs of one Fram filter vs. another Fram filter. Possibly I misunderstood it. Until then, I'll edit now my remarks (above) to reflect what you said.

Best regards,
Joe
Old 07-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Patman
Race Director

Thanks Joe! I know that there aren't too many readily available oil filters that do use a fully synthetic media, and that's one of the reasons I like theFram Ultra. I just wish they would hurry up and release the new XG12060 filter with the 22psi bypass! My contact at Fram told me back in May that it would hit the market within a month from that time but it's still not out yet. I'm currently running the Ultra XG10060, which has the wrong bypass, and I purchased a NAPA Gold 100290 for the next oil change.But for every oil change after that I want to use the Ultra XG12060.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:09 PM
copjsd
Pro

I just remembered where I found the information, and although Fram's website calls the media:
  • A 2-ply synthetic, metal screen reinforced media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.
When looking at the product specifications on Amazon, see:
https://www.amazon.com/XG10060-Ultra-Synthetic-Spin-Filter/dp/B002QH5VVI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532548460&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fram+xg10060&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/XG10060-Ultra-Synthetic-Spin-Filter/dp/B002QH5VVI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532548460&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fram+xg10060&psc=1
the descriptions there read:
  • Same Ultra Synthetic filter, re-tested and proven for up to 20,000 miles
  • Engineered for use with synthetic oil
  • Synthetic blend media backed by a metal screen for uniform pleating, durability and optimum oil flow
as well as found lower on the page under "Product description":

Style: Ultra Synthetic
FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filters are our best filter. The dual layered, synthetic and cellulose media is reinforced with a metal screen and traps 99% of dirt. The silicone anti-drainback valve is designed to hold oil to ensure safe start-up and engine protection for up to 15,000 miles.

So I'll edit my post to say "may or may not".

Last edited by copjsd; 07-25-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Patman
Race Director

I wonder where Amazon got their info from though, because if that were the case it should be listed as such on Fram's website too but they don't mention the word cellulose or blend anywhere. Either way, I've sent an email to my contact at Fram (he's one of their technical directors) so I'll report back here when he replies (he usually takes a few days to respond though)

Get notified of new replies

To Mobile 1 113A oil filter

Old 07-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Patman
Race Director

I never did heard back from my contact at Fram yet, however I looked up a bunch of videos of oil filters cut open and there is a distinct difference in the look of a blended media compared to a synthetic media and you can tell from those videos that the Fram Ultra media is fully synthetic, it looks the same as the media in the Royal Purple, just a different color.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:16 PM
davanz
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Does anyone have opinions on Purolator oil filters?
Old 07-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Patman
Race Director

The only Purolator filter I would be comfortable using would be the Boss filter, as it uses a fully synthetic media. Their other two choices (the classic and the Purolator One) have a reputation for the filtering media getting torn.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 113A oil filter