C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a tune required?just installed Kooks headers and ultra high flow cats...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Jknight8787
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a tune required?just installed Kooks headers and ultra high flow cats...

I just had a set of Kooks 1 7/8 headers with the ultra high flow green cats installed on my 17 grand sport. I bought this set up mainly for the sound and not so much for performance just because I know once its tuned I can guarantee my warranty is out the window... I know some will debate the use of headers alone would void warranty.

I know without a tune im Not maximizing performance but my question is could I be causing damage to the engine by not tuning??? I was under the impression the use of kooks green cats did not require a tune. The car is completely stock with NPP. When I picked up ther car from installer the CEL was on and I was disappointed because I read that you would not get a CEL with the green cats. I drove 20 miles home and noticed a loss in performance and not really much of a increase in sound aside from WOT. When I got home I unhooked the battery to try and reset the CEL. The next morning hooked battery back up and started with no CEL. I've since drove it 4 times for a total of 25 miles and the CEL has not come back.... am I safe to c ontinue driving it as long as there is no Engine light without a tune or do I risk causing possible damage???
Old 07-29-2018, 09:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I have a 2014 A6 I did a LT headers, 3 inch AKRAPOVIC X pipe with MPP mufflers also. ported intake & T.B. with no tune on the car. I can tell you the c7 runs rich from the factor, I checked my plugs before doing these MODS Plus I only did one mods at a time just to be able to tell IF something did go wrong what it was that did it. I did all of above now the car is running leaner to the point of the plugs looking much better now like a tan color & before they were black & you could wipe off black wet like gas from them. But with all of this car never ran much better without a tune on it that is not worth it if you dont get the car tuned.

Pull your drivers side & check your plugs. Car now has a A/A TI blower on the car & has been tuned now. Robert
Old 07-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Jknight8787
Advanced

Did you ever throw a code when running those mods? Good to know these c7 run a factory rich fine since I'm assuming the LTH will learn it out some. I will check my plugs as you mentioned. I do plan on doing an AA supercharger down the road, but not for awhile.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Go get it tuned.
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:27 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

absolutely has to be tuned for long tubes.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Surely leaving power on the table with longtubes and stock tune.
Bmwmike (08-04-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Jknight8787
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
mike, I have a trinity t1000 that I used my last car. But it doesn't appear it is compatible with my 2017 grand sport. What are your recommendations? Would one of the canned tunes help achieve higher HP with let's say the perf 93 tune with LTH?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Jknight8787
Advanced

Originally Posted by spinkick
absolutely has to be tuned for long tubes.
purely because of a performance standpoint , or so that I don't cause engine problems? I really didn't want to tune for warranty purposes even though I know many will say headers alone voids powertrain warranty.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jknight8787
mike, I have a trinity t1000 that I used my last car. But it doesn't appear it is compatible with my 2017 grand sport. What are your recommendations? Would one of the canned tunes help achieve higher HP with let's say the perf 93 tune with LTH?
17 GS is indeed supported by the T1000
Canned tune will not be ideal, you really want to look into a custom tune to get the most of an expensive investment like longtubes.

Originally Posted by Jknight8787
purely because of a performance standpoint , or so that I don't cause engine problems? I really didn't want to tune for warranty purposes even though I know many will say headers alone voids powertrain warranty.
Mostly for performance...just the fact that the O2 sensors are moved downstream can lead to issue with mileage, part throttle performance, etc. Many people will tell you they added headers and didn't tune for them and that their car is fine, but thats relative if they don't know what they are missing from a properly calibrated set up.

As for warranty, no worries with the Trinity. You certainly aren't gonna hide them headers though

Last edited by Mike@DiabloSport; 07-30-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Tune it.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
ON EVERY WORD YOU HAVE SAID HERE. Car for sure needs a tune to get all the power from any add mod like these. But the car will run fine with them on the car.

OP here it will run fine but does need a tune for you to get the added HP from the add on's. Also for these add on's it really did lean my 2014 out to the point it cleaned off the plug tips from black really rich to a nice lean color that they looked good to me like they should be on a plug.

I did get a box from mike here on my car until I did a A/A blower set up on the car. I then got a tuner to remote tune the car for me with HP tuners...

Last edited by robert miller; 07-31-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Mr. Smith
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Which code(s) are you throwing?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:30 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

It may throw any codes related to bank 1, sensor 2 and bank 2, sensor 2. I turn off reporting of 21 codes when I tune for longtubes. I also command the throttle blade open 100% at 100% pedal position at any rpm. The factory is around 22% at idle and not ramping up to 100% until about 3500rpm (all c7 and c7z), and everyone here seems to think ported throttle bodies get rid of it... I get a chuckle out of it every time I see a throttle body thread. I post facts about the issue, and I am dismissed by all of the non-tuners. People who know and tune gen 5 GM torque- based controllers know the truth. Fact is, a tune by itself will gain more than longtubes and no tune.

John
Bmwmike (08-04-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
It may throw any codes related to bank 1, sensor 2 and bank 2, sensor 2. I turn off reporting of 21 codes when I tune for longtubes. I also command the throttle blade open 100% at 100% pedal position at any rpm. The factory is around 22% at idle and not ramping up to 100% until about 3500rpm (all c7 and c7z), and everyone here seems to think ported throttle bodies get rid of it... I get a chuckle out of it every time I see a throttle body thread. I post facts about the issue, and I am dismissed by all of the non-tuners. People who know and tune gen 5 GM torque- based controllers know the truth. Fact is, a tune by itself will gain more than longtubes and no tune.

John
Exactly! Most gains are in the tune. In fact, mods that don't alter the engine enough to not require a tune to get the best out of it, are a waste of time IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a tune required?just installed Kooks headers and ultra high flow cats...

Quick Reply: Is a tune required?just installed Kooks headers and ultra high flow cats...