C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voided Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 AM
E Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Voided Warranty Question

Anyone had their C7 Z06 or any C7 warranty denied or voided due to aftermarket re-calibration ?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 516 Likes on 304 Posts

Any tune will void warranty, much discussion on the forum, one of the first things GM looks at if a major mechanical repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by BELVIN20:
911Hunter (08-01-2018), E Z06 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

When you say warranty voided, they can't void the entire warranty on the car. Only the parts of the car that the modification impacts.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:23 AM
E Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
Any tune will void warranty, much discussion on the forum, one of the first things GM looks at if a major mechanical repair.
I ran quick search prior to the post and discovered some dialog regarding the issue, however did not find anyone specifically stating warranty denial or voided as a result of aftermarket tuning.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 AM
monteholic
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
I'll say this until I am blue in the face, but this is not true.
Its easy to regurgitate info like this all over the forums (I dont do FB but can only imagine what these discussion look like over there ) but that doesn't make it true.
Are there lots of detectable tunes out there. Yes.
Are tunes loaded with a Diablosport i2/i3 or T3 tuner detectable by the dealer? NO.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Bmwmike (08-04-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:14 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by E Z06
...however did not find anyone specifically stating warranty denial or voided as a result of aftermarket tuning.
Funny how no one actually reads the question...

Can it be done, yes, but the question is has anyone here had it actually denied...

Regards
Chip

E Z06 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

There was a post not long ago about someone that bought a used C7 and didn't realize it was tuned. He had a serious engine issue and the warranty was denied. It's been a couple months ago. I always say if you are going to tune it then be prepared to pay if something happens. This is why I say it's not worth tuning for 50hp that's not really noticeable. May as well make it worthwhile and slap on the bigger blower.
The following 3 users liked this post by saleen556:
Avanti (07-31-2018), dmaxx3500 (08-04-2018), E Z06 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 AM
E Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories
Funny how no one actually reads the question...

Can it be done, yes, but the question is has anyone here had it actually denied...

Regards
Chip
Indeed that is the question.

Thanks Chip
CCA Corvette Parts (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
There was a post not long ago about someone that bought a used C7 and didn't realize it was tuned. He had a serious engine issue and the warranty was denied. It's been a couple months ago. I always say if you are going to tune it then be prepared to pay if something happens. This is why I say it's not worth tuning for 50hp that's not really noticeable. May as well make it worthwhile and slap on the bigger blower.
Yup - I remember this thread and it answer's the OPs question.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by saleen556

Back when we had a C6, there was a lot of discussion about a tune voiding the powertrain warranty (engine, tranny, etc voided but not radio, brakes, etc). There were several people who posted about getting denied because of a tune, and a couple of dealer Techs who said that GM would want the full info on current and previous tunes before approving any major engine warranty work. Minor stuff that's not expensive to fix, usually no one checks.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Jim you are absolutely correct , my C7 swallowed a valve and the first thing GM asked the dealer for was my TUNE file ( CVN ) before approving more than $14,000 worth of repairs (new engine , labor, Fluids etc )
Folks say "my dealer said ..." I am here to tell you when something major happens , it's not up to the dealer .... it's up to GM .

Now when you use a Diablo , that's different as a diablo tune or a custom Diablo tune is not detectable

Dave
Old 08-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Jim you are absolutely correct , my C7 swallowed a valve and the first thing GM asked the dealer for was my TUNE file ( CVN ) before approving more than $14,000 worth of repairs (new engine , labor, Fluids etc )
Folks say "my dealer said ..." I am here to tell you when something major happens , it's not up to the dealer .... it's up to GM .

Now when you use a Diablo , that's different as a diablo tune or a custom Diablo tune is not detectable

Dave
What makes a Diablo tune not detectable by GM? Just saying it isn't detectable doesn't make it so. The dealer may not detect anything but GM may have more capability and it is GM's ruling that counts. Just like you I dropped a valve on the track in my C6Z and the first thing the dealer had to do was send all of the tune info to GM before approval was given to even start a tear down to find the problem.

Bill
Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What makes a Diablo tune not detectable by GM? Just saying it isn't detectable doesn't make it so. The dealer may not detect anything but GM may have more capability and it is GM's ruling that counts. Just like you I dropped a valve on the track in my C6Z and the first thing the dealer had to do was send all of the tune info to GM before approval was given to even start a tear down to find the problem.

Bill
Bill, the fact that a diablo tune is undectable has been debated for years . I don't know how they do it but a diablo tune does not change the CVN file , I am sure that Mike and Diablo Lew can elaborate on this .

I personally can verify this fact as on my C6 I had a Diablo Tune, headers , Intake etc and I am friendly with my dealer who was working on the car at the time . I had the car in for a Harmonic balancer replacement, which has nothing to do with the tune in the car so asked them to send my restored tune up to GM to be checked just for my own information .....

They did and the response was that it was the original tune in both the ECM and the TCM . I had loaded and unloaded that tune 100 times as I was making small changes to the custom Tune that Diablow Lew provided me

I also have a good friend who has a C7 , had a fuel injector issue , they sent his files up and they also came back as good.....

These facts along with the many posts from Mike and Lew are enough to convince me

Now I don't condone modifying a car and then expecting GM to pay for what breaks. I am just making a statement that the Diablo and its associated CMR software is undectable . HP tuners and all the others are detectable

Recently in another thread here on the forum when I posted these facts it turned hostile with one individual, he stated that I was being condesending especially when I made the point that Diablo sells thousands of these tuners and if just one tune was detected it would be all over the internet ......

When Mike and Lew confirmed what I was saying the individual stopped posting

When i post on this forum,I am only here to help as you can witness by the many thanks I have received from folks who have reached out to me

I don't post second hand knowledge and I don't post internet urban legend been working on cars for a long time .... lol lol

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 08-04-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

You guys are so worried about the tune but other things can cause an issue. My buddy put a set of cat less long tube headers on his his 15 z51. 2 days later he threw a rod. The car has no tune and no other mods but the long tube headers. They voided is power train warranty and did not repair the engine. The car is still sitting with a blown motor. They said the design of the header comes to close to the oil cooler and it over heated the oil and thats why the rod went bad. However thats on the dealers choice not
GM. He should have tipped the service adviser and mechanic lol
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I have the same questions Bill. Just wonder how they have managed to effect changes to the tune parameters without changes to the CVN file.
Now....if Diablo stated if their tune was detected by GM and a claim was denied because of it they would pay for repairs I think the stampede to their door to buy their tuning units would be HUGE.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
You guys are so worried about the tune but other things can cause an issue. My buddy put a set of cat less long tube headers on his his 15 z51. 2 days later he threw a rod. The car has no tune and no other mods but the long tube headers. They voided is power train warranty and did not repair the engine. The car is still sitting with a blown motor. They said the design of the header comes to close to the oil cooler and it over heated the oil and thats why the rod went bad. However thats on the dealers choice not
GM. He should have tipped the service adviser and mechanic lol
He should have had a tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Voided Warranty Question

Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Bmwmike
Pro

Originally Posted by subieworx
He should have had a tune.
or took the headers off before he brought it to the dealer
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Bmwmike
Pro

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007

I have the same questions Bill. Just wonder how they have managed to effect changes to the tune parameters without changes to the CVN file.
Now....if Diablo stated if their tune was detected by GM and a claim was denied because of it they would pay for repairs I think the stampede to their door to buy their tuning units would be HUGE.
From what i understand it is cause diablo modifys the stock tune where is in all others write a tune.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
From what i understand it is cause diablo modifys the stock tune where is in all others write a tune.
bingo !
we have a winner
Dave
Bmwmike (08-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Voided Warranty Question