C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on Brake Pads

Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Opinion on Brake Pads

In the past few months, I've got a couple of NASA HPDE track sessions and a 3 auto crosses on my '17 Grand Sport so I thought I would take a look at how the stock brake pads (with iron rotors) were holding up. This is a picture of one of my front pads. The cracks appear to be just on the surface as I don't see them extend into the material from the side and I can barely catch them with my finger nail. Looking for some feed back as to whether they are still good or if I should replace them.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

The cracks are fine, how much material is left, that is what matters. The fingernail test is usually done on rotor cracks not pads.
The following users liked this post:
DSOMZ51 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
The cracks are fine, how much material is left, that is what matters. The fingernail test is usually done on rotor cracks not pads.
I agree. However, I have one question. What is causing that groove on the left pad? Is there a corresponding ridge on the rotor or is it due to some debris that got caught between the pad and the rotor and is now gone? If there is a ridge on the rotor it will continue to wear that way and that groove is basically the thinnest part of the pad. If it was due to debris the groove may gradually disappear as the pad wears.

Bill
Old 08-10-2018, 03:21 PM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Bill, Good catch on noticing that groove. I suspect it must have been some debris that got caught and caused that because I did not feel nor see a corresponding groove or ridge on the rotor. I thought about replacing the pads due to that groove (and cracks in the pad) because I did not want a ridge developing on the rotor. However, as you mention, the pad will most likely wear down before the rotor ridges to fill that void. Maybe another track day at High Plains Raceway will fix it.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:57 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

You have a ton of pad left. I will have to photo my last set.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree. However, I have one question. What is causing that groove on the left pad? Is there a corresponding ridge on the rotor or is it due to some debris that got caught between the pad and the rotor and is now gone? If there is a ridge on the rotor it will continue to wear that way and that groove is basically the thinnest part of the pad. If it was due to debris the groove may gradually disappear as the pad wears.

Bill
Small stone.

Zoom in on 10:00

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on Brake Pads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion on Brake Pads