C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halltech or AFE

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:02 PM
trj3
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your car tuned or did you get that with just the air filter???
Old 11-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Tri3 , are you asking me ???

if so just follow the steps I outlined ..

#1 stock
#2 93 tune
#3 Diablo CAI tune and VARARAM

Same track temps in the high 80's , DA bad ,and marginal track grip

I recently installed a Borla Catless X pipe and I have a ported throttle body and a ported intake manifold I have to install .

Dave
Old 11-25-2018, 08:56 PM
trj3
Racer

Thanks Dave I ask because I have a 2019 halltech cai, Akropovic x pipe and cat back exhaust without a tune and I Dynoed at 558/558. Seems like I would have been better stock?
Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trj3
Thanks Dave I ask because I have a 2019 halltech cai, Akropovic x pipe and cat back exhaust without a tune and I Dynoed at 558/558. Seems like I would have been better stock?
I am assuming that you have a ZO6 ?

my track numbers above were for a LT 1 A8

Dave
Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 PM
trj3
Racer

Yes, I do have a Z06
Old 11-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trj3
Yes, I do have a Z06
I dont think you will gain any HP with the x pipe and a cat back on a blower motor ....or an LT one for that matter ...

Now tune it , change the pulley and add the CAI that you have ... look out 😁😁😁

Dave
Old 11-26-2018, 03:43 AM
Bruce0293
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave,

For clarity: The tune, and then cold air tune are different animals?

Your thoughts on the canned Diablo tune?

Bruce
Old 11-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bruce0293
Dave,

For clarity: The tune, and then cold air tune are different animals?

Your thoughts on the canned Diablo tune?

Bruce
Yes the 93 Diablo tune and then the Vararam and CAI tune are different animals
Thoughts on the 93 tune , its conservative , was there a difference , yes but it was not all really HP as the claimed 20 HP I am sure could hardly be felt . What you can feel is the improved drivability of the car . The Diablo tunes reduces or turn off TQ management which in itself is a HP gain . You also have the ability to adjust your gas pedal response , I adjusted mine to +20 % which eliminated the lag we all talk about

There are many other parameters that the tune changes . Once your fuel trims stabilize you will find out , while its not earth shattering, you are faster than the other guy .....

Now when you do the Diablo Lew custom ECM and TCM tune , now you will feel a real difference as much more is changed ......

Folks say dont waste your time with a handheld , remember what you tune the car with does not matter hand held using CMR , HP tuners or EFI live . A handheld is just the device to upload the tune . All the same parameters can be changed with CMR as you can with HP tuners or EFI

Up until the point where you are doing heads cam or a blower a remote tune done with a Handheld or other device by any of the name guys out there is just like a street tune done locally , make the changes , log the changes , make more changes , upload again . Rinse and repeat as many times as you like until satisfied. Am I leaving a few HP on the table , I am sure I am but knowing that I am not dependant on some guy who might go bankrupt in 2 years or who might have locked my PCM is worth it to me
And I also have the ability to return my car to stock at any time and upload my original tune back into the PCM ...
Dave
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Bruce0293
Advanced

Dave,

Thank you for your insights and taking the time to give me something to go on, appreciated much! I too would stay a bit conservative not wanting to melt a piston, etc. I'm not all that technical at data logging and then making assumptions as to making adjustments. Maybe that will come with some 'easy' tinkering...

Side barring a bit: I have driven in your neighborhood twice on Atlanta Motorsport Park, once in my APR tuned Golf R and out of 30 cars at that particular event, my buddy(co driving) finished 2nd out of 30 cars, .2 (point.2 tenths) behind a new NSX serial no. 0000 driven by a car magazine editor.(not sure he is all that good, but likely good up to a point). Took it today to get the latest stage 2 update, APR claims zero to 60 in 3.2, it is a hoot:-) On stage 1 tune I took it to a drag strip just to check it out and first pass on a cool day, it did 12.005 at 115.xxx :-) 2nd time at Atlanta I was in my 2014 Z51, over heated the brakes. That track is a blast!!!

OK, back to tuning and the Vararam. Are you satisfied with the intake?

thank you again
Bruce
Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I love AMP , my kids bought me a package and I ran my C6 there with 3 of my friends who also bought the package , was an awesome day . We are lucky to have 3 road courses and s 1/4 mile strip all real close .

The Vararam fits great and was easy to install , there is no need to unplug the MAF sensor during installation so I did not because there were reports of te ECM popping a code
During my first high speed run down the 1/4 mile I did get a check engine light but I reset the light and it has not come back on again , I have since run the car a multitude of times and with the tune it does not look to be lean at all as the fuel trims look good

The best part about the Vararam is , it is unsilenced so when you jump on the car hard it sounds like my old BIG BLOCK Chevelle with the 780 CFM Holley ....it sounds awesome

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Bruce0293 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,616 Likes on 6,624 Posts

This is my experiance with an aFe installed on my 2014 Z51, removed when sold, oiled cotton filter cleaned and reoiled and installed on my Grand Sport. Great “sucking sound” at WOT!

This is an 11 page pic/text PDF of the installs. There was an error in the original install info that is covered after a call to aFe. Great folks. Believe it has since been corrected but with reviewing as the rubber grommet on the OEM filter housing is reversed on the aFe when installed:
http://netwelding.com/Cold_Air_Intake.pdf

They sell both oiled cotton and paper filter. These are both larger than the OEM requiring a larger housing and different air tube. The GM system appears to hold the same size OEM filter. A forum poster who bought their more restrictive paper filter did a before and after dyno comparison and got 10 hp. aFe had published a dyno comparison when I got mine showing 17 hp gain and torque increases from ~2500 rpm with their oiled cotton filter. Recently looked at their website and they have 2 more test comparisons showing 15 and 18hp gains with oiled cotton. They publish none with their more restrictive paper filter.

Did they pick the best dyno runs? Probably, but do give the test conditions etc. In my discussions with their techs they have been very helpful and knowledgable. Made suggestion and supplied a small threaded plug needed to block one hose barb on the 2014 system when putting in on the Grand Sport.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-27-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Bruce0293 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,616 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
..... We are lucky to have 3 road courses and s 1/4 mile strip all real close .

The best part about the Vararam is , it is unsilenced so when you jump on the car hard it sounds like my old BIG BLOCK Chevelle with the 780 CFM Holley ....it sounds awesome

Dave
Similar experiance with the aFe. That “sucking sound” at WOT is almost as loud as the 14” OD, 5” high K&N on the 850 Holley double pumper that feeds the 502 cid engine on my street rod. The intake makes a sound about equal to the exhaust from long tube Sanderson headers, 3 inch pipes an straight through Borla mufflers! In the C7 the intake sound rivals the NPP.

I’m lucky as have a ~3/4 mile long road near my home between farm fields with no homes and often no other traffic. Frequently hit close to redline in 2nd and 3rd with the Grand Sport when I turn the corner onto that stretch. The cotton and corn don’t care about the noise or how fast I’m going!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-27-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Bruce0293 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

So, besides over $1000 what's difference and advantages of the aFe over the Vararam?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Bruce0293
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I love AMP , my kids bought me a package and I ran my C6 there with 3 of my friends who also bought the package , was an awesome day . We are lucky to have 3 road courses and s 1/4 mile strip all real close .

The Vararam fits great and was easy to install , there is no need to unplug the MAF sensor during installation so I did not because there were reports of te ECM popping a code
During my first high speed run down the 1/4 mile I did get a check engine light but I reset the light and it has not come back on again , I have since run the car a multitude of times and with the tune it does not look to be lean at all as the fuel trims look good

Dave
Thank you Dave once again, appreciated. I've been busy, sorry for the delay and yes you are fortunate with the tracks in your area. I am 25 minutes from Pittsburgh International Race Complex, and it has become a world class facility.

Bruce

Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 PM
megan.andrews
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the performance of the car. I would like to see some luxury options on a car that expensive.

such as rain-sensing wipers
Standard level of safety issues options like blind spot warning
collision avoidance should be standard

Old 01-19-2019, 02:46 PM
NH19WGGS
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that more people have the Vararam CAI, as its been out for a bit now. How are the results vs the top 2 Afe & Halltech? either dyno or real world 1/4 results etc.? I don't mind spending more if Afe or Halltech truly gain more results on the street. I have a Tony Mamo PTB ready to be installed and can NOT decide on an intake. Most likely run that for a bit and if its lean or not running well either go custom tune and add xpipe with mid-lengths or longtubes but thats another decision I need to make LOL. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Halltech or AFE