C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mag ride update?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Bbot89
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mag ride update?

i provided a print out from GM regarding a mag ride update and how it changes touring, sport and track mode.

Dealer called me back saying they spoke with GM and they don’t recommend doing it unless I track the car. They’re also saying most people update the software, then come back to flash it back when they’re not going to the track. They also said it doesn’t affect touring and sport.

from what I’ve read here, this doesn’t sound true. Does my dealer not know what they’re talkinh about?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Your dealer is stupid. The biggest change to the calibration, in my experience, is how nice the car rides in Tour and Sport and does a much better job soaking up the bumps/cracks! I do not track my car and consider this upgrade to be worth every penny of the $350 price. Find a different dealer and get it done.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Bbot89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kracka
Your dealer is stupid. The biggest change to the calibration, in my experience, is how nice the car rides in Tour and Sport and does a much better job soaking up the bumps/cracks! I do not track my car and consider this upgrade to be worth every penny of the $350 price. Find a different dealer and get it done.
Thanks. I did some more digging and there only appears to be one magnetic ride update. I called back and told them to just do the update.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

It’s not an update, It’s a GM Performance Part MSRC Upgrade. Find a certified Chevy Performance dealer and you’ll have less problems.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

yeah, you need to speak with the service manager in person about this. good god it's amazing these places stay in business...

My dealership did mine and the manager told me that the engineer on GM's side of the call recommended that the car sit for 12 to 16hrs afterwards. the tech didn't do any previous so i had to explain and show them the post from Tadge on here stating that the car can be driven immediately after. i swear uninformed people are at EVERY LEVEL...

And yes... the update was the best single mod i've ever done to any car in my life lol.. it makes this car ride like a CTS V over bumps.. supple yet firm but no more teeth chattering even in sport.. i would imagine if i switched from RF to Non RF tires it would feel like a 70's buick!!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Bbot89
Instructor

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
yeah, you need to speak with the service manager in person about this. good god it's amazing these places stay in business...

My dealership did mine and the manager told me that the engineer on GM's side of the call recommended that the car sit for 12 to 16hrs afterwards. the tech didn't do any previous so i had to explain and show them the post from Tadge on here stating that the car can be driven immediately after. i swear uninformed people are at EVERY LEVEL...

And yes... the update was the best single mod i've ever done to any car in my life lol.. it makes this car ride like a CTS V over bumps.. supple yet firm but no more teeth chattering even in sport.. i would imagine if i switched from RF to Non RF tires it would feel like a 70's buick!!
I printed out the bulletin post and gave it to the service manager when I initially went in. I also copied and pasted the Corvetteforum.com post with Tadge's reply to give him more info because they were so sure that this upgrade was only for the track mode. Now I'm regretting that I brought my car into the dealer...

To add, they're charging me $900 to replace the steering wheel telescoping actuator. Another dealer about 40 miles away that regularly works on Corvettes (Abel Chevrolet) wants $600. Now I feel like I'm paying more for the in-competencies.

Edit:: Called them and told them to hold off on the replacement as I plan on just bringing it to Abel. Now they're willing to give me 10% off. Tells me it's 3 hours of labor + $200 part and they can't go lower.

Last edited by Bbot89; 09-10-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Went today to have my car updated...but tech couldn't get software to load and tried multiple things and concluded there likely is a communications issue internal with the chassis control module so ordered a new one under warranty. He at first couldnt get the exhaust valve code to clear but after talking to him, told him to remove mild/wild module and plug #42 - 20A fuse directly into the fuse block. That got code cleared but still no luck with program upload. I drove car home and have to wait a couple days before part comes in to try again. Hope it works out...I'm excited from what I read in improvements of this software update. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Bbot89
Instructor

Just got my car back today. They were able to perform the mag ride upgrade at no cost to me.
They told me they had troubles originally getting the car upgraded and spent a couple hours to get it done.

Last edited by Bbot89; 09-19-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Bbot89
Just got my car back today. They were able to perform the mag ride upgrade at no cost to me.
They told me they had troubles originally getting the car upgraded and spent a couple hours to get it done.
Becareful because there's an update as in a TSB for the MRC that is done at no charge and then there's the upgrade that costs $350. When I brought my car in for the upgrade the dealer didn't know what I was talking about and did the update instead.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Bbot89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
Becareful because there's an update as in a TSB for the MRC that is done at no charge and then there's the upgrade that costs $350. When I brought my car in for the upgrade the dealer didn't know what I was talking about and did the update instead.
i followed this link to check. Looks like my car got updated unless I’m reading it wrong

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-was-done.html

Summary

IDSelected#Description123201895
Operating system284353678
New calibration to support performance parts and motor sport catalog customers.

Summary

IDSelected#Description123201895
Operating system284353678
New calibration to support performance parts and motor sport catalog customers.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ToxicGS
Went today to have my car updated...but tech couldn't get software to load and tried multiple things and concluded there likely is a communications issue internal with the chassis control module so ordered a new one under warranty. He at first couldnt get the exhaust valve code to clear but after talking to him, told him to remove mild/wild module and plug #42 - 20A fuse directly into the fuse block. That got code cleared but still no luck with program upload. I drove car home and have to wait a couple days before part comes in to try again. Hope it works out...I'm excited from what I read in improvements of this software update. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Long story short...turns out my GS (bought used with 6k miles) was unknowingly equipped with a DSC controller from original owner. Having read many things about it vs. the OEM chassis control module with the MRC, I went ahead and told dealer to install the factory module and upload software. I was in a unique position to try both back to back. Drove the car 1 day on GM's upgraded software and then I went back to the DSC...i did not like the ride at all! I read up, downloaded latest firmware and programming from DSC and then calibrated 0 level as I had lowered the car on stock bolts (cut rears and just lowered fronts). Its not even close. Ride quality is so much better with DSC and car movement in acceleration and braking so much more stable. Car was very "squatty" on GM software/module...theres no way I could be happy with that knowing how the DSC felt like. I just lucked out...didnt know I had such an upgrade when I bought the car 4 months ago...but glad now it did.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:13 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Now before I come under attack...I do know that lowering the car would not be something GM's upgrade MRC software would be optimized for. I know I have limited the range of the shocks a bit. Car isnt slammed by any means..still have 2 finger widths between tire and fender lip. So...my comparison might be a bit compromised over stock car. My GS is also equipped with the Z07 package...so theres that too.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:26 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Had the MSRC upgrade done yesterday for my 16 Z51 at Criswell Chevy. Just did the 4 mile drive home to park it for its recommended overnight sit but I swear I could already feel the difference on bumps in Sport mode. Seemed to be both more supple on initial impact and tighter and on rebound. Overall a less jarring ride and more planted feel. If that proves out when I have a chance to give her a proper drive it will be $ well spent.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
Had the MSRC upgrade done yesterday for my 16 Z51 at Criswell Chevy. Just did the 4 mile drive home to park it for its recommended overnight sit but I swear I could already feel the difference on bumps in Sport mode. Seemed to be both more supple on initial impact and tighter and on rebound. Overall a less jarring ride and more planted feel. If that proves out when I have a chance to give her a proper drive it will be $ well spent.
Had mine done today and could definitely feel a significant difference in Tour mode.

2017 Z06/Z07

Prior: 84316056 "SAD Calibration Update"

New: 84421874 "Real Time Damping"

The Updated Operating System remained 84213967

My dealer, Selman Chevrolet in Orange, CA was familiar with the upgrade and has done quite a few. The tech has done a bunch, and actually spent more time on the phone with TCSC than it took to flash the upgrade. Now she sits overnight...
Old 10-19-2018, 06:20 AM
raylo
Drifting

After driving mine some more I agree Tour mode is significantly better. with the new calibration. Seems to me that the rebound motion has been tightened up significantly and I don't have that floaty feeling on bumps and undulations. Car really feels more planted. The steering effort in tour seems unchanged, still lighter than Sport, which is good when just cruising or parking.

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
Had mine done today and could definitely feel a significant difference in Tour mode.

2017 Z06/Z07

Prior: 84316056 "SAD Calibration Update"

New: 84421874 "Real Time Damping"

The Updated Operating System remained 84213967

My dealer, Selman Chevrolet in Orange, CA was familiar with the upgrade and has done quite a few. The tech has done a bunch, and actually spent more time on the phone with TCSC than it took to flash the upgrade. Now she sits overnight...
Old 10-19-2018, 06:49 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by Bbot89
i provided a print out from GM regarding a mag ride update and how it changes touring, sport and track mode.

Dealer called me back saying they spoke with GM and they don’t recommend doing it unless I track the car. They’re also saying most people update the software, then come back to flash it back when they’re not going to the track. They also said it doesn’t affect touring and sport.

from what I’ve read here, this doesn’t sound true. Does my dealer not know what they’re talkinh about?
Had it done on my Z06/Z07, the difference was like getting in a different car, non Z07 cars the difference is not as great. I do not track my cars, and this was the single best mod done to my car, it made it drive like a car with a real suspension, like it should have came from the factory, but I guess GM though spending a 100k was not enough, so the extra 350 dollars was needed
Old 10-19-2018, 07:43 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Is anyone knows if the 2019 Z06 comes with the updated Mag sus??

Last edited by timmyZ06; 10-19-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mag ride update?

Old 10-19-2018, 11:39 AM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
After driving mine some more I agree Tour mode is significantly better. with the new calibration. Seems to me that the rebound motion has been tightened up significantly and I don't have that floaty feeling on bumps and undulations. Car really feels more planted. The steering effort in tour seems unchanged, still lighter than Sport, which is good when just cruising or parking.
I had gotten into the habit of keeping the steering in Tour mode all the time (and exhaust in Track). I'll have to see how different the steering settings feel now. The ride compliance, at least on the drive home, was noticeable. She's sat overnight now, so I'll take her out for a spin and find some speed bumps and rough road.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Just my 2 cents
I had the update done to my 17 non Z07 about 4 months ago and used the method mentioned above to verify it was done. I can not tell any difference in the way the car handles or ride quality. I want to believe i didn't waste $350.00 but to me it feels the same.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:13 AM
raylo
Drifting

I checked the information for my car via the method posted in the other thread to make sure I got the proper update and here it is. Mine is a 2016 Z51 bought in Dec 2015. This done last week at Criswell Chevy.

1. 23201895 Operating system
2. 84353684 New calibration to support performance parts and motor sport catalog customers.

Last edited by raylo; 10-20-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Mag ride update?