C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Off "Change Oil Soon" Warning?

Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 PM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Turn Off "Change Oil Soon" Warning?

My 2015 Z51 gets driven about 3500 miles a year. I service the car once a year, including oil and filter change, using Mobil 1. My oil life monitor is down to 15%, and I now have a "CHANGE OIL SOON" warning in the speed display spot. Does anyone know how to get rid of this warning? I don't need my car to tell me how to take care of it, and I don't want to stare at this for the next three months.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:42 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You can do the oil service reset and give it a fresh 12 month reading of 100%

How to Reset the Engine Oil
Life System
Reset the system whenever the
engine oil is changed so that the
system can calculate the next
engine oil change. To reset the
system:
1. Scroll through the Settings menu
until the REMAINING OIL
LIFE percentage is displayed.
See Driver Information Center
(DIC) on page 5-23.
2. Press and hold the Set/Reset
button. REMAINING OIL LIFE
100% will appear.
If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON
message comes back on when the
vehicle is started, the engine oil life
system has not reset. Repeat the
procedure.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

resetting the oil life monitor will take care of it...
Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Really annoying. I had my '18 for 11 months and put 2300 miles on it since its first oil change last 30 Sep, and the oil life showed 7%! Just reset it. Taking it in this week for its second oil change, this and another next Aug are free. After that, 12 months--won't do 5000 miles, despite what the monitor says.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:50 AM
skynest
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The real question not answered.

The question here is how to delete the message from appearing ever again? I think it is a small thing, but a nuisance. I, as are most people that drive a Corvette need no message when to change the oil. I always keep mileage in my scan when I enter the car. For competition, well that message is again superfluous and does not apply. It comes on too often and is just wrong. I would be changing the oil every 1000 or so miles. Crazy.

So does anyone know how to get rid of the idiot reminder?
Old 08-21-2022, 07:34 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

You can't. The only solution was already proposed.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:11 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by skynest
The question here is how to delete the message from appearing ever again? I think it is a small thing, but a nuisance. I, as are most people that drive a Corvette need no message when to change the oil. I always keep mileage in my scan when I enter the car. For competition, well that message is again superfluous and does not apply. It comes on too often and is just wrong. I would be changing the oil every 1000 or so miles. Crazy.

So does anyone know how to get rid of the idiot reminder?
I think it is based on time and engine revs. If you haven’t changed the oil in 1 year it will time out I believe. Otherwise it lasts probably 7500 miles.

no way would it be anywhere near 1000 miles
if you just drove the car. And it is a much more accurate system than just doing it every X miles.

you guys need to drive your cars more. 2-3k miles a year is so little, that’s why it’s timing out. Just reset the message once a year if you don’t change your oil annually, takes 1 minute. Or reset it when you change it…
The following users liked this post:
MeanRay1 (09-03-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 12:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I think it is based on time and engine revs. If you haven’t changed the oil in 1 year it will time out I believe. Otherwise it lasts probably 7500 miles.

no way would it be anywhere near 1000 miles
if you just drove the car. And it is a much more accurate system than just doing it every X miles.

you guys need to drive your cars more. 2-3k miles a year is so little, that’s why it’s timing out. Just reset the message once a year if you don’t change your oil annually, takes 1 minute. Or reset it when you change it…
It is more sophisticated than that. The calculation includes engine oil temperature, number of cold starts, run duration, etc. When the car is driven it is quite accurate in determining when the oil should be changed. My OLM message doesn't show up until I am quite close to the yearly oil change, usually showing up a couple of weeks before I change it. I have never seen it show up 3 months before an oil change was required. It sort of sounds like it wasn't reset properly at the last oil change.

Bill
Old 08-23-2022, 05:42 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is more sophisticated than that. The calculation includes engine oil temperature, number of cold starts, run duration, etc. When the car is driven it is quite accurate in determining when the oil should be changed. My OLM message doesn't show up until I am quite close to the yearly oil change, usually showing up a couple of weeks before I change it. I have never seen it show up 3 months before an oil change was required. It sort of sounds like it wasn't reset properly at the last oil change.

Bill
that’s neat. I didn’t know , thanks bill
Old 08-23-2022, 08:43 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Fortunately, it's not big deal to reset.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:12 AM
brandonsmash
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just reset the OLM from the information screen.

I only drive mine about 3k miles a year and it hounds me to change the oil annually. I use Mobil 1 EP (and the same filter). There's really no reason to drain the oil every year with such little use, so last year for the first time ever I just reset the OLM and went about my day. The oil on the dipstick still looks great. I'll change it here in a month or two though, I imagine.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonsmash
Just reset the OLM from the information screen.

I only drive mine about 3k miles a year and it hounds me to change the oil annually. I use Mobil 1 EP (and the same filter). There's really no reason to drain the oil every year with such little use, so last year for the first time ever I just reset the OLM and went about my day. The oil on the dipstick still looks great. I'll change it here in a month or two though, I imagine.
People seem to love to look, smell, feel, etc. Not sure why. I don't care what it looks like. If you think your sight is that good, test both your look and the oil. A testing facility will be able to tell you how accurate the computer is as far as whether it is looking good but not testing good or whether it looks and tests good.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:36 PM
daveb91
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't be cheap if you can afford a Vette change the oil...
Old 09-01-2022, 09:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by daveb91
Don't be cheap if you can afford a Vette change the oil...
Afford isn't the real question. Whether it is needed or not is. If only there was a way to know with more certainty. Oh wait. There is HERE.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Off "Change Oil Soon" Warning?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Off "Change Oil Soon" Warning?