C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark adv vs timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Spark adv vs timing

I'm not the best with data logging but with my diablo intune I've logged Spark Advance. Is that the same as the Timing I should be checking to look for timing pulled, etc?

spark adv of 13.5 deg top of 3rd with coolant at 190 and iat at 93 looks low when I compare to z06s (which I've read normal timing is about 25 degrees) Car is a base kit 7 psi procharged lt1.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

The timing is in the toilet because it’s an LT1 on 7psi and cast pistons. Leave it where it’s at unless you’re ready to build it because if you crank the timing up....the rings will be holding the pistons together. Fireant could probably give you some timing figures he was running when he was cast pistons with about that boost.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

That is about all the timing you can run on 7psi with stock LT1 pistons. 25 degrees is the range where NA motors run. LT4's do not run that high of timing.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
The timing is in the toilet because it’s an LT1 on 7psi and cast pistons. Leave it where it’s at unless you’re ready to build it because if you crank the timing up....the rings will be holding the pistons together. Fireant could probably give you some timing figures he was running when he was cast pistons with about that boost.
yeah im not trying to change this stuff. Im not a tuner. I'm just trying to understand what's making my car faster or slower. I know that ECT, IAT, and other reasons pull timing, im just checking if im logging the correct thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark adv vs timing

Quick Reply: Spark adv vs timing