C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default A/C compressor removal

Has anyone removed their A/C compressor? Manual said to removed the front cradle, hoping there is an easier way?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Why are you needing to remove it? Yes, you can remove without pulling the cradle. You need to pull the serpentine belt, then pull the belt tensioner assembly, remove the belt tensioner bracket and AC compressor bolts which will require removal of a stud used for the 13mm nut you take off. Then you can swink the compressor out and unplug it and disconnect the lines
The following users liked this post:
Dale002 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Why are you needing to remove it? Yes, you can remove without pulling the cradle. You need to pull the serpentine belt, then pull the belt tensioner assembly, remove the belt tensioner bracket and AC compressor bolts which will require removal of a stud used for the 13mm nut you take off. Then you can swink the compressor out and unplug it and disconnect the lines
The clutch bearing is making noise, I need to replace the bearing on the clutch if possible or replaced the compressor. Do I need to move the steering gear or alternator out of the way?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dale002
The clutch bearing is making noise, I need to replace the bearing on the clutch if possible or replaced the compressor. Do I need to move the steering gear or alternator out of the way?
The compressor clutch? No, nothing steering related should need to be moved.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Compressor came out by removing intake flex ducts, belt, alternator, tensioner assy, stud and loosening the steering unit bolt enough to slide the unit forward for compressor to clear. The alternator is probably not required but it allowed me to reach and hold the compressor from the back side with two fingers and help to jiggle it out. There are two electrical connectors. One for the clutch and the other for the pressure switch. The pressure switch connector is easy to miss, it's located on the bottom of the Compressor.
After removal of the clutch plate found the hub bearing dry. This bearing is not replaceable without damaging the hub itself. Thinking of packing it with grease and putting it back together.
The following users liked this post:
Evan Sanza (09-19-2021)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:44 PM
shellprompt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone have pictures of removal and how the stud is removed and the steering bolt you mentioned?

Last edited by shellprompt; 04-22-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C compressor removal

Quick Reply: A/C compressor removal