C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Fuel pump ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 AM
H20FRNZ4
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Fuel pump ticking noise

Just wondering if any other C7 owners might have any fuel pump ticking issues. I have a 2017 C7 GS and recently had it to the dealer for an intermittent ticking noise that often varies in its noise level . The dealer that recently serviced the vehicle believe the ticking is caused by the fuel pump and they are considering it an " acceptable noise " level.. the ticking is often on and or off and varies in its noise level. Might anyone know of this issue or be aware as to what other options are available to rectify the situation. Car has less than 5000 miles on it..
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I assume you are referring to the Direct Injection pump? It does make noise, but the only time I've ever heard it was when bench testing one. The stock motor is pretty well insulated to prevent this very thing. Almost sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes that varies with RPM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have your dealer refer to GM Bulletin # PIP5395D. It covers multiple years and models of DI cars, but it's for an updated fuel supply line from the fuel tank supply pipe to the high pressure pump. If this is your issue, you're hearing pulses from the high pressure pump flowing back into the low side of the system and it sounds like a tick or buzz that you can hear from inside the car. We've had several that are intermittent or louder sometimes than others.

GM updated that pipe to include a check valve that helps to eliminate that.

Hope that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichieRichZ06:
Avanti (07-23-2018), H20FRNZ4 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 AM
H20FRNZ4
Cruising

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Have your dealer refer to GM Bulletin # PIP5395D. It covers multiple years and models of DI cars, but it's for an updated fuel supply line from the fuel tank supply pipe to the high pressure pump. If this is your issue, you're hearing pulses from the high pressure pump flowing back into the low side of the system and it sounds like a tick or buzz that you can hear from inside the car. We've had several that are intermittent or louder sometimes than others.

GM updated that pipe to include a check valve that helps to eliminate that.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for this information, i consulted with my dealer 2 days back and i made reference to the GM bulletin you referred to and they indicated it was replaced a year ago however might you know when the bulletin was issued or if in fact they may have issued the bulletin with a more modified version of this piece as i'm still getting the ticking noise.. i did call my dealer again last week to make reference to this bulletin and they indicated that they would replace it once again if i wanted which makes me wonder if in fact there has been another piece issued since my initial exchange of this a year ago.. appreciate any information you can shed on this, thank you for your help very much appreciated..
Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 PM
U8NTRDY
1st Gear

Default check your fuel pump bolts

Originally Posted by H20FRNZ4
Just wondering if any other C7 owners might have any fuel pump ticking issues. I have a 2017 C7 GS and recently had it to the dealer for an intermittent ticking noise that often varies in its noise level . The dealer that recently serviced the vehicle believe the ticking is caused by the fuel pump and they are considering it an " acceptable noise " level.. the ticking is often on and or off and varies in its noise level. Might anyone know of this issue or be aware as to what other options are available to rectify the situation. Car has less than 5000 miles on it..
check your fuel pump bolts, one of mine broke when I upgraded to the LT4 PUMP & INJECTOTORS it made the ticking sound

Last edited by U8NTRDY; 07-29-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-31-2018, 04:10 PM
Tambo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H20FRNZ4
I had the ticking noise when I picked up my 2016 Z51. Dealer took it another day and did something to eliminate most of it. If I remember correctly he said some pipe or hose was hitting on the car. It was adjusted. The direct injection systems do make a lot of noise.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Mstillabower
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
GM updated that pipe to include a check valve that helps to eliminate that.https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=203055485347

Hope that helps.
Mine does this as well. Sometimes it ticks other times is does not. My car is out of warranty, so if I do nothing to correct the tick will it cause an issue?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Fuel pump ticking noise

Quick Reply: C7 Fuel pump ticking noise