C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No drag strip traction mid track? PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:59 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts
Default No drag strip traction mid track? PLEASE help

Ok guys, I'm really baffled. I've drag raced plenty over the years, so I'm no dummy. This is the third time I've had this same exact problem. and it happened with my '15 Z first and now my '17 Z. First run of the night, I try PTM mode RACE, and do a small burnout (no water) cause I'm on Michelin SS tires. I use launch control, and it all goes well with a 11.3et @127mph and 1.93 60'. My thought was to try differing PTM modes to try and find the best for launch, etc., as I was going to run a 1/2 mile shootout soon, and I wasn't sure I could beat launch control. Well my second run launch went ok, (PTM sport 1) but just into second third gear, the tires spun and I got real squirrelly. My road racing experience saved me, didn't seem to have much help from AH, stability control. after a cool down, I try another run, now in just sport mode, same thing sideways mid track. It's almost like the torq comes on and blows the tires off, about 200' out. Now I'm thinking maybe I've got the tires too hot, I check them and they are around 112 degrees. I find some water and cool them down and let it sit for an hour. Now I make a run in PTM wet, in hope of getting down the track (I figure the TC will not allow it to slip much at all) WRONG, same deal. I finally try one more run in the regular wet driving mode (not a PTM mode) Same deal?? All the other cars are running this lane and not having a problem. A Cadillac CTSV runs 12.4 with his car in sport mode?? I'm thinking the car is reading the launch traction and applying torq, and that does not work with the mid track being less prepped. Anybody else have this issue? I know, I know, get Drag radials to solve the problem, but I really want to find out what the hell is going on. I have videos and have checked the tire temps on each run via cosworth toolbox, and tire temps are not the problem. 95-104 temps consistently. HELP
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Your expecting too much from Mich SS, especially if you're running them with over 20-24 psi of air.

Last edited by phantom1; 09-23-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 192 Posts

Track prep or a lack of plays a big part in your ET's.
At my home track the owner sprays both lanes the entire length twice before the first pair of cars make a pass even on a Friday night T/T.
With 24 PSI in the stock MPSS's my Z06 has no problem running deep into the 10.70's. They do require an aggressive burnout to get them hot enough to stick well. Only mds are a ported TB and BMS drop in filter.
I use the Sport mode with both nannies turned off. Launch at an idle nets me the quickest ET.

Last edited by Mike Jesse; 09-24-2018 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dabigsnake (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
Track prep or a lack of plays a big part in your ET's.
At my home track the owner sprays both lanes the entire length twice before the first pair of cars make a pass even on a Friday night T/T.
With 24 PSI in the stock MPSS's my Z06 has no problem running deep into the 10.70's. They do require an aggressive burnout to get them hot enough to stick well. Only mds are a ported TB and BMS drop in filter.
I use the Sport mode with both nannies turned off. Launch at an idle nets me the quickest ET.
I've seen guy's go 10.9 on Mich ss, that was hard to do, and not consistent.

Last edited by phantom1; 09-25-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

I was running 30psi(hot) w MSS tires. I'm convinced something within the traction control/PTM is wacko. It felt like the engine would suddenly wake up after being restricted on launch. WHY everything seems fine on the first pass, then goes crazy on all 6 other passes?? Then on street seems to work fine? Puzzling for sure?? that is why I'm leaning toward the changing track condition from launch pad to mid track. street traction is consistent. Here are the first and second passes within 14 minutes of each other. BTW- sadly the 1/2 mile shootout was canceled after one of the first big boys (GTR) ran 216mph and flipped killing the driver. Seems the track shutdown area had some bumps?? sad

Old 09-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 192 Posts

Might I suggest the following...Sport mode and T/C turned off.

Launch the car from an idle instead of using Launch Control.

If the track prep is non existent, you may need to break down and buy a pair of DR's.

I use the M/T ET Street R in a 325/35/18 size using 25 PSI. It dead hooks even on the street.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Jesse:
Dabigsnake (09-25-2018), JUICED1 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
I've been down the track a few thousand times. Just wanted to mention when your car got squirrely on the second run in second gear, that was the time to immediately get off the gas. You appeared to stay on the gas a second or two too long. When a car loses traction, the run is lost, you aren't going to set a pb so just get off the gas and go around and try again. Most of the accidents I see at the track are drivers that keep their foot on the gas too long and try to steer out of a situation when the rear tires have lost traction. It's better to abort the run (which you have to do anyway) and live for another race without having to change underwear. Just my .02. Don't take this the wrong way. Possibly have your alignment checked.
Busa Dave (10-15-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Ditch the damned mpss for the strip. Get some real drag radials and enjoy that beast to the fullest. I’m going to put together a track rental for no problem in the next few weeks. You want in?

John
JUICED1 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:35 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I've been down the track a few thousand times. Just wanted to mention when your car got squirrely on the second run in second gear, that was the time to immediately get off the gas. You appeared to stay on the gas a second or two too long. When a car loses traction, the run is lost, you aren't going to set a pb so just get off the gas and go around and try again. Most of the accidents I see at the track are drivers that keep their foot on the gas too long and try to steer out of a situation when the rear tires have lost traction. It's better to abort the run (which you have to do anyway) and live for another race without having to change underwear. Just my .02. Don't take this the wrong way. Possibly have your alignment checked.
I agree with you here also. Robert
Old 09-26-2018, 11:39 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
Ditch the damned mpss for the strip. Get some real drag radials and enjoy that beast to the fullest. I’m going to put together a track rental for no problem in the next few weeks. You want in?

John
Hey John, It's my analytical mind that is my problem. just like yours. I've all booked up w Crusin the Coast thru Oct 8, then I'm off to Key West for a month. Oct 15-Nov 15th. My buddy Pete has some DR I'm gonna try one day. He's got a serious 680 rwh '14 Z51 wide body. w meth and Nitrous. I was just trying to experiment with launching for that 1/2 mile event. let me know the dates for Rental of no problem. I know he wants to do a good prepped track like Royal purple in late Nov-Dec to lay down a 9 sec run. If Oct 10-13 works at NPR we are both in.
JHEBERT (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Originally Posted by 383vett
I appreciate your thoughts. I've raced 90" wheelbase 600 hp Cobras for years, and I know the worst thing to do is back off the throttle, with most cars, when they get squirrely!! It snaps the car around. I could post 100 youtubes showing this. Sorry about the audio, I had it under control by backpedaling the throttle and counter steering, driving through it; (not trying to save the run, just trying to figure out what was happening?) I agree catching it real early loosing traction and giving up the run is best....key being REAL early, before it walks sideways.(no snap). I do understand/appreciate your concerns and comments, and thank you for your response. Just an FYI
Old 09-26-2018, 01:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I appreciate your thoughts. I've raced 90" wheelbase 600 hp Cobras for years, and I know the worst thing to do is back off the throttle, with most cars, when they get squirrely!! It snaps the car around. I could post 100 youtubes showing this. Sorry about the audio, I had it under control by backpedaling the throttle and counter steering, driving through it; (not trying to save the run, just trying to figure out what was happening?) I agree catching it real early loosing traction and giving up the run is best....key being REAL early, before it walks sideways.(no snap). I do understand/appreciate your concerns and comments, and thank you for your response. Just an FYI
Old 09-27-2018, 12:59 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

What dabigsnake posted is true. What sends the car into the side barrier is the fact that it’s not pointed straight when you do lift. It’ll bite and change direction on you and sometimes NO amount of countersteer will save it. People that “race” (LOL) in the rain and exit corners overly aggressively OFTEN and for fun will develop this skill quickly and it more or less transitions to the drag strip. Not that I would ever do that...
Old 09-27-2018, 08:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

look at the 6500 rpm bar and its relation to the track. You're a foot or so off between the two runs. Maybe that's it.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
Might I suggest the following...Sport mode and T/C turned off.

Launch the car from an idle instead of using Launch Control.

If the track prep is non existent, you may need to break down and buy a pair of DR's.

I use the M/T ET Street R in a 325/35/18 size using 25 PSI. It dead hooks even on the street.

I suggest this as well. These cars make amazing torque, launch them from idle. You don't need the launch control. Drag radials if you really want to maximize the performance.
Mike Jesse (09-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To No drag strip traction mid track? PLEASE help

Quick Reply: No drag strip traction mid track? PLEASE help