C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 C7 GS Brake soggy/idiot light

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:25 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
"Ceramic" pads does not equal made for "cermaic brakes"

I would only get the GM pads for the ceramic brakes.

There are some aftermarket race pads for those but no one has made a street pad yet. That technology is not developed in the aftermarket. Hawk makes the pad shapes because they are used in other non-ceramic applications.
Yes, I am aware of this. The poster said he has Z07 brakes which have Carbon Ceramic rotors. I believe the ceramic brake pads you recommended are for iron rotors only. I believe the poster was looking for replacement Z07 brake pads. Do you know what the GM part #s are for the OEM Brembo ceramic brake pads that came with the Z07. I think I read somewhere they cost about $500 a set.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Yes, I am aware of this. The poster said he has Z07 brakes which have Carbon Ceramic rotors. I believe the ceramic brake pads you recommended are for iron rotors only. I believe the poster was looking for replacement Z07 brake pads. Do you know what the GM part #s are for the OEM Brembo ceramic brake pads that came with the Z07. I think I read somewhere they cost about $500 a set.

Yes I am agreeing with you and trying to explain. I believe he thought 'ceramic' pads are made for carbon ceramic brakes which they are not.

Amazon sells GM OEM parts and google will get you the part numbers. They are pretty expensive.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

OP: I have no idea what will happen by putting those pads on a ceramic rotor. They weren't designed for the Ceramic Rotor option. The part numbers you should have purchased are below:

Z07 Carbon Ceramic Brake Option:
Front Brake Pads Part Number: 23198733 superseded by 23316708 can also purchase as ACDelco part# 171-1186.
Rear Brake Pad Part Number: 23198750 can also purchase as ACDelco 171-1143

You could also purchase Pagid Brake pads that are designed for the Ceramic Rotors.

If you aren't tracking the car the stock pads should last as long as you own the car. Not sure why you would replace them if they still have plenty of meat on them. The Ceramic Brake Option cars don't have any rotor/pad dusting issues.

I suggest you replace the Hawk Pads with the stock pads and sell them.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
bankers1 (11-11-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
OP: I have no idea what will happen by putting those pads on a ceramic rotor. They weren't designed for the Ceramic Rotor option. The part numbers you should have purchased are below:

Z07 Carbon Ceramic Brake Option:
Front Brake Pads Part Number: 23198733 superseded by 23316708 can also purchase as ACDelco part# 171-1186.
Rear Brake Pad Part Number: 23198750 can also purchase as ACDelco 171-1143

You could also purchase Pagid Brake pads that are designed for the Ceramic Rotors.

If you aren't tracking the car the stock pads should last as long as you own the car. Not sure why you would replace them if they still have plenty of meat on them. The Ceramic Brake Option cars don't have any rotor/pad dusting issues.

I suggest you replace the Hawk Pads with the stock pads and sell them.

Bill
This
Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Bill, I've agreed with most of your posts, so I'll have to believe that my Z07 Brembo Ceramic OE pads, should last the life of the car (If not tracking) or driving 150,000 miles a year.
I've also read here that the idiot light should not come on for "Soggy" brakes, ie. fluid system problem, NOT pads. So to the dealer I go.
Hell at only 16,000 miles on my '17 I should not need pads in the rear, I baby this car.
$ 500 yikes!!! I remember my old '69 Chevelle SS cost $ 45. an axle in 1980's.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

There’s nothing wrong with your brake pads. There’s air trapped in your brake system. You need to flush, or at least bleed, your brake line until the air is out.
The following users liked this post:
bankers1 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

That make's sence, I wonder if it's a warranty issue at 16,000 miles?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If you did nothing to the brake system except drive the car before you started feeling the pedal issue I suspect you may have a brake line leak. Maybe a bleeder screw isn't tightened down properly. If that happens you can have a small leak from the screw when you hit the brakes and when you leave off the brakes the pressure release will draw air past the bleeder into the caliper.

Bill
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you did nothing to the brake system except drive the car before you started feeling the pedal issue I suspect you may have a brake line leak. Maybe a bleeder screw isn't tightened down properly. If that happens you can have a small leak from the screw when you hit the brakes and when you leave off the brakes the pressure release will draw air past the bleeder into the caliper.

Bill
What he said.

I would also like to add, that the leak and/or air can come from multiple sources. I had a Hyundai (yes I did, and I'm not ashamed to admit it) that had the brake and clutch share the same reservoir. During the first year I started to notice a damp spot under the clutch pedal, and over time it got worse to the point where I would occasionally get the "low brake fluid" light. Turns out the clutch master cylinder's piston seals were torn and allowing brake fluid and air to get past the seal.

The leak was confined to the clutch lines, but eventually the brake pedal got soft too before Hyundai eventually "took care of it." At that point I swore enough was enough, when my wife's Hyundai also blew a transmission cooler line just as the 4 year, 60,000 mile warranty expired LITERALLY a week before and 800 miles over and they refused to goodwill the repair. No more Hyundais for us no matter how much "value" there is for the dollar, and what their so called 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty cover.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
What? Fucked up brakes aren't covered? What kind of Bs is that ? Soggy brakes and losing brake fluid aren't a wear item.. if you have a leak at 16000 miles that's for sure a warranty item.
Its not covered when the owner replaces the pads with non OEM pads that are incorrect and then potentially did it wrong.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:28 PM
megan.andrews
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Chev. Corvette with read leather seats. I had about 4000 mile.It's extremely advanced and since it has 650 horsepower, we don't care about the gas mileage

Quick Reply: 2017 C7 GS Brake soggy/idiot light