C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger seatbelt is locked

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Passenger seatbelt is locked

I'm replacing my seatbelt and somehow the passenger one got locked all the way in. It's not a pretensioner issues as these belt have not been on the car. Any suggestions?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:06 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

So this is a "new" (never installed) belt. I Googled "seat belt locked fully retracted" & saw numerous ideas. Some suggested/required belt tension-er to be removed from car to get to the "lock" pin. Others suggested you MIGHT be able to push in (using a dull point of flat tip screwdriver) the belt in direction of TIGHTENING it (I know it sounds counter intuitive) but it could give just enough slack to then pull it OUT to release. Anyhow try looking at some of the ideas there. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Sounds like the belt latch is set in cinch or child seat mode. Did somebody pull the belt out all the way (till it hits the stop)? That is what sets cinch mode.

I know you say it is retracted all the way into the retractor but try and feed more belt into the retractor to see if it releases. Cinch mode is released by letting the belt fully retract. It may also be locked because of the angle you set the retractor at. Try setting the retractor in the same orientation it is in while mounted in the car. If that doesn't work there may be a detent that can be pushed to release it.

Bill
Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Figure it out. Had to unlock it manually, all good now. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger seatbelt is locked

Quick Reply: Passenger seatbelt is locked