GM Performance Cold Air Intake for LT1 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Performance Cold Air Intake for LT1

Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 AM
  #1  
BMF82
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BMF82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: MI
Posts: 104
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default GM Performance Cold Air Intake for LT1

Has anyone purchased the GM Cold Air Intake for an LT1 engine? I understand GM states that 0 horsepower is gained, but it also says it decreases air resistance by 30%. From what I understand that could help throttle lag, but not sure.

If you have installed it have you noticed any difference in performance and throttle response?

Only looking for input on the GM CAI since I have multiple years left on my extended warranty.

BMF82 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 10:34 AM
  #2  
dfettero
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 481
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Aren't all aspects of the engine dynamics computer controlled including throttle response?
With a (warranty voiding) tune I would not expect much of an HP gain.

Last edited by dfettero; 11-29-2018 at 10:40 AM.
dfettero is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 AM
  #3  
BMF82
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BMF82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: MI
Posts: 104
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dfettero View Post
Aren't all aspects of the engine dynamics computer controlled including throttle response?
With a (warranty voiding) tune I would not expect much of an HP gain.
I believe so, but what I was told is if there is turbulence, or lack of consistent air getting to the engine, it can create throttle lag. My assumption is a 30% increase in air restriction would help.

I don't want to blow $500 plus install cost on a cool looking CAI if it doesn't do anything.
BMF82 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM
  #4  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,585
Thanked 242 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Just buy a BMS filter and save several hundred dollars. If you have an engine related warranty claim, just stick the old filter back in before going to the dealer.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrunoTheMellow For This Useful Post:
BMF82 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM
  #5  
KillerC7zo6
CF Senior Member
 
KillerC7zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 635
Thanked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Default

What if BMS filter is the reason for that? I’ve heard these filters can throw a CEL? I too am in the market for the GM CAI but I have a 19 ZO6 so I would enjoy that + 11hp
KillerC7zo6 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 05:31 PM
  #6  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,585
Thanked 242 Times in 187 Posts
Default

The improved airflow of the gm airbox is like 99% the filter.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 05:34 PM
  #7  
dbaker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dbaker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Near Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,361
Thanked 201 Times in 135 Posts
Default

I was one of the beta testers for BMS on the LT1.The BMS has been on my car for over a year and 3k miles.....NO codes.

It's very high quality.

\db2
dbaker is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 PM
  #8  
k24556
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Spend your money on gasoline and enjoy the car. Waste of money, but it LOOKS awesome. You will have to send your BUTT-O-METER in for calibration in order to verify an improvement. Not sure where you can send it for calibration.
k24556 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 PM
  #9  
BMF82
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BMF82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: MI
Posts: 104
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dbaker View Post
I was one of the beta testers for BMS on the LT1.The BMS has been on my car for over a year and 3k miles.....NO codes.

It's very high quality.

\db2
Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of this filter. How long does it last and is it washable?
BMF82 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 PM
  #10  
KillerC7zo6
CF Senior Member
 
KillerC7zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 635
Thanked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I want the look of an intake rather than have the stock airbox unit otherwise i would go BMS also. Are the bms gains only when the vehicle is tuned or drop in and enjoy?
KillerC7zo6 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:47 PM
  #11  
marsheng
CF Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 81
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I have a GM Performance Air box on a LT1 engine and there was a immediate improvement in throttle response and a much more pronounced intake roar at full throttle.I spoke with a engineer working on it at last years PRI show and he said 4-5 hp on LT1 and 10-12 on LT4 .They chose to publish 11hp for LT4 and 0 for LT1 for whatever reason. I just got home last night from Spring Mountain and could really notice for the 2 days that there cars had much quieter intake noise at full throttle than mine and how much poorer the throttle response was than my car even though theirs have 2.73 gears and mine has 2.41 gears.I will be seeing the engineer at PRI in the first week of Dec and verify the power gains he stated last year for the LT1 engines. I asked Rick at Spring Mountain if they detuned theirZ51 cars as knew mine would kill theirs power wise and he said no.The only difference is I have a crappier gear ratio but the Performance Air Box installed so you are left to make your decision even though the naysayers will say it,s garbage ,no good ,no power,waste of money,just buy brand x and get 25-30hp because GM cant figure it out.
marsheng is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to marsheng For This Useful Post:
KillerC7zo6 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 PM
  #12  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,585
Thanked 242 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
I have a GM Performance Air box on a LT1 engine and there was a immediate improvement in throttle response and a much more pronounced intake roar at full throttle.I spoke with a engineer working on it at last years PRI show and he said 4-5 hp on LT1 and 10-12 on LT4 .They chose to publish 11hp for LT4 and 0 for LT1 for whatever reason. I just got home last night from Spring Mountain and could really notice for the 2 days that there cars had much quieter intake noise at full throttle than mine and how much poorer the throttle response was than my car even though theirs have 2.73 gears and mine has 2.41 gears.I will be seeing the engineer at PRI in the first week of Dec and verify the power gains he stated last year for the LT1 engines. I asked Rick at Spring Mountain if they detuned theirZ51 cars as knew mine would kill theirs power wise and he said no.The only difference is I have a crappier gear ratio but the Performance Air Box installed so you are left to make your decision even though the naysayers will say it,s garbage ,no good ,no power,waste of money,just buy brand x and get 25-30hp because GM cant figure it out.
Uh your car won't kill their car power wise with an air box. Hahahaha. You have let your money cloud your judgement.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:42 PM
  #13  
Tennispro1986
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 231
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Remember one thing...an engine is nothing more than a big air pump. At given engine speed, the engine is only capable of drawing in a maximum amount of air. The restriction of the intake versus what the engine is capable of drawing in are the two variables. If GM is claiming their intake can draw in 30% more air, but they also advertise 0 horsepower, then that tells you the factory intake is more than efficient enough at stock power. It might be able to draw in 30% more, but if the engine can't draw in 30% more then 30% more is going to be drawn in...

Now, I don't believe GM is accurate in their facts here. Aftermarket systems and drop in filters have shown to have gains on stock engines without tuning, so we know that their is some kind of restriction in the stock intake. If there wasn't, then no aftermarket system would be showing gains. Their is more to this conversation, like MAF housing diameter and location, but those two things don't mean anything in terms of what we are talking about here.

If the GM cold air system is showing 0 gains, and other systems are showing gains, then GM's claim of 30% more airflow is 100% inaccurate.
Tennispro1986 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:45 PM
  #14  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,585
Thanked 242 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986 View Post
Remember one thing...an engine is nothing more than a big air pump. At given engine speed, the engine is only capable of drawing in a maximum amount of air. The restriction of the intake versus what the engine is capable of drawing in are the two variables. If GM is claiming their intake can draw in 30% more air, but they also advertise 0 horsepower, then that tells you the factory intake is more than efficient enough at stock power. It might be able to draw in 30% more, but if the engine can't draw in 30% more then 30% more is going to be drawn in...

Now, I don't believe GM is accurate in their facts here. Aftermarket systems and drop in filters have shown to have gains on stock engines without tuning, so we know that their is some kind of restriction in the stock intake. If there wasn't, then no aftermarket system would be showing gains. Their is more to this conversation, like MAF housing diameter and location, but those two things don't mean anything in terms of what we are talking about here.

If the GM cold air system is showing 0 gains, and other systems are showing gains, then GM's claim of 30% more airflow is 100% inaccurate.
the restriction is in the tubing and filter. not the airbox being marginally bigger.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:27 PM
  #15  
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 4,195
Thanked 625 Times in 540 Posts
Default

Go with a VARARAM, a true CAI , no hp gain but lower IAT means less chance that timing will be pulled , verified by my data logs ......

plus you cant beat the intake sound

My LT 1 intake now sounds like my old big block Chevy with a 780 Holley
Dcasole is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 09:32 PM
  #16  
apagsolingan
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I own a 2019 ZO6 A8 and recently installed a performance GM cold air intake then about a week later a Mamo ported throttle body.

The CAI was pretty easy to install. The only problem I had was with the bracket for the coolant overflow hose. When the bracket was mounted to the rear of the box, it would get in the way of the hood closing. I moved that bracket to the front which provided clearance for the hood to close. A post in this forum had a similar installation by a dealer. There were conflicting press information indicating a recalibration of the MAF sensor was required and not required. Tony Mamo was more than helpful and very responsive with my email inquiries. Tony advised me the recalibration was a standard calibration with no custom calibration. A Chevy dealer also told me that a recalibration was not required. I had no problems with this CAI. The only issue after installation was that the check engine light turned on and remained on. I drove for a few miles and turned the engine off and turned it back on. The check engine light did not go back on. I wanted to see if I can lower the box so I removed the box which entails disconnecting the connector from the MAF sensor on the tube of the air box. I couldnít mount the box lower as it was in a fixed position. The CAI was reinstalled and when I turned on the engine, the check engine light went back on and remained on. Once again I drove it for a while and shut it off several times and ultimately the light turned off. I suspect this check engine light in this situation turned on possibly from disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF sensor.

I had concerns with the verbiage used on one of GMís advertisement was that the factory warranty will not be voided if dealer installed. There was other information out there indicating if the CAI were to be dealer installed, the CAI would be covered under the 36 month vehicle factory warranty and not the standard part warranty of 12months.

I feel that the CAI improved the performance based on GMís claims of improved restriction and hp gain, but canít prove it without running it on a dyno. I can hear the whine of the supercharger with this CAI.

A week later I installed a Mamo ported throttle body. I feel the acceleration seems to be more responsive. Manually downshifting from 3rd gear to 2nd gear was a lot smoother.

Iím satisfied with these two bolt ons.
apagsolingan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to apagsolingan For This Useful Post:
billiam01 (12-02-2018)


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: