C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping sound over 110 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Mensan150
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Popping sound over 110 mph

I have a 2019 Stingray A8 non-Z51 with 1500 miles. It's run flawlessly for those miles. However, I did the charity laps at VIR yesterday, and the car made a popping sound (backfire?) when I went over 110 mph on the straightaway. I got a message on the screen (brownish round appearance), but it was only visible for literally one second so the only word I saw was "bad". As soon as I let up for the curves, the message disappeared. The car ran flawlessly on the track other than at that speed, and it ran perfectly on the way home. Does anyone know what that message might have been or what the exhaust popping indicates?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:02 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Were you still into the throttle when the message popped up or had you lifted to lessen your speed on the straight?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

I think you may have been misfiring... Although my car is supercharged, when I had the problem it only happened at high RPMs and a "service rear axle" message came up with flashing CEL.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Mensan150
Instructor

I was still in the throttle when the popping occurred. I just let up because of the curves. It definitely sounded like misfiring with the exhaust pops.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Mensan150
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I think you may have been misfiring... Although my car is supercharged, when I had the problem it only happened at high RPMs and a "service rear axle" message came up with flashing CEL.
What the heck would "service rear axle" have to do with the engine misfiring at higher RPM?
Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Mensan150
What the heck would "service rear axle" have to do with the engine misfiring at higher RPM?
Because the eLSD rear axle works with the engine to shunt power to the wheel that has traction. If the engine is misfiring that action can't take place properly and will affect how the rear axle works. Just like with Stability and Traction Control which depend on the engine performing correctly when that code is set it generates a Service whatever message. The Service Message means a code has been set. In the case of a misfire occurring at the same time if you use a code reader to see which code has been set and then read the description of the code you may find it says the fault isn't here but in the engine. All the Service Message tells you to do is check the codes to see where they direct you to look for the problem. In the vast majority of cases codes don't tell you what is wrong they tell you where to look. That is why when you see a code that for instance references the O2 sensor you don't automatically run out and buy a new O2 sensor.

Bill
Old 12-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Mensan150
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Because the eLSD rear axle works with the engine to shunt power to the wheel that has traction. If the engine is misfiring that action can't take place properly and will affect how the rear axle works. Just like with Stability and Traction Control which depend on the engine performing correctly when that code is set it generates a Service whatever message. The Service Message means a code has been set. In the case of a misfire occurring at the same time if you use a code reader to see which code has been set and then read the description of the code you may find it says the fault isn't here but in the engine. All the Service Message tells you to do is check the codes to see where they direct you to look for the problem. In the vast majority of cases codes don't tell you what is wrong they tell you where to look. That is why when you see a code that for instance references the O2 sensor you don't automatically run out and buy a new O2 sensor.

Bill

Thanks for enlightening me! So, it should show up when the service manager hooks it up to the computer.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:17 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

It's even simpler. Misfiring causes the power coming through the differential to be rough, so the sensors see unexpected readings, the car thinks this is not supposed to happen. Then CEL.
The following users liked this post:
Mensan150 (12-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Popping sound over 110 mph

Quick Reply: Popping sound over 110 mph