C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade

I have been trying to get the mag ride upgrade but the dealers, which despite the corporate letter, are wanting to charge $480 to $510 to perform the upgrade of the software. I had 3 local stealerships tell me that the car needed physical parts changed for the process and it would take about 3-4 days to so. That is a total lie and none of them would waver on the position. The $350 has the labor built into the price and should never cost anything over $350 per GM corp. Are there any honest dealers in central texas?

So for me it is $500 for a GM upgrade or the DSC for $1200. Who has the DSC and would you say that it is a better buy than getting the GM upgrade for the mag ride? I use winter, now that it is cold, eco and sport on my daily driver. I have a lot of time in my commute below 20mph and a few bouts of over 79mph. I am looking for the control that makes the car less of a floating boat most of the time.

Anyone that has had the chance to compare the two? I am trying to spend money wisely, hence my query regarding this. Should I get the upgrade or the DSC?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

What year is your Z?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Central Florida is mostly Stealerships also, so don't feel left out.

Check the DSC thread, there is a LOT to read: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ations-94.html

For me, DSC was the way to go. Infinitely tunable unlike the GM one time only. A couple of caveats. When you plug in the DSC, you will loose the OnStar diagnostic reporting, or at least I did as many others. A little tight to install, but not horrible. Make sure the DSC covers the model year of your car as I am not sure if they cover 2019. If I had to do over, I would buy the DSC again.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
What year is your Z?
0214 Z51, which should be in my sig line, but I don't see my sig so maybe nobody else can see it either. I have a pic uploaded to go under my name but that doesn't show unless that stuff is only visible to others? Not sure though. I am confused though, so maybe that explains it. lol
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Central Florida is mostly Stealerships also, so don't feel left out.

Check the DSC thread, there is a LOT to read: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ations-94.html

For me, DSC was the way to go. Infinitely tunable unlike the GM one time only. A couple of caveats. When you plug in the DSC, you will loose the OnStar diagnostic reporting, or at least I did as many others. A little tight to install, but not horrible. Make sure the DSC covers the model year of your car as I am not sure if they cover 2019. If I had to do over, I would buy the DSC again.
Thanks for the info, I'll go read that thread. I have worked with a couple friendly dealers here but neither were GM so I am hoping to find one at some point that is cool at some point.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

FWIW....had a DSC system in my 16 Z51.....made a very noticible difference and I do not track ....what I do happen to experience is 17k a year inside that car (now own. 19’ GS ) and live in Florida so pretty much all year .WIFI adjustable version... noticible difference ...and a took maybe 30 min to install...15 to take out. The team at DSC....were great to work with ...no codes...worth the $$ and while I am not that sure what the used market is bearing but believe I sold my old one for 1-200 less , within 5 min....was I constantly “hacking “ into it to change settings...not this guy..though I could have if I wanted ...easily....
hope this helps
Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by bbrown450
FWIW....had a DSC system in my 16 Z51.....made a very noticible difference and I do not track ....what I do happen to experience is 17k a year inside that car (now own. 19’ GS ) and live in Florida so pretty much all year .WIFI adjustable version... noticible difference ...and a took maybe 30 min to install...15 to take out. The team at DSC....were great to work with ...no codes...worth the $$ and while I am not that sure what the used market is bearing but believe I sold my old one for 1-200 less , within 5 min....was I constantly “hacking “ into it to change settings...not this guy..though I could have if I wanted ...easily....
hope this helps
Your car looks perfect and we all know that the red cars are faster! lol
I drive mine almost daily so comfort and control are of importance to me. As a reference I drove a Z51 with 30k on it and I thought those larger bilsteins were close to perfect and feel that the stock MRC is lacking, but capable in comparison. I commute about 12k with over 2-4k cross country trips a year. I haven't read enough of the above mentioned thread yet, but I like to hear that it wifi adjustable. I hate hooking a laptop into the car with a stupid cable. Why did you sell yours?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-12-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:12 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

My opinion is, don't get a DSC for z51s unless you have good smooth roads or want to take several hours of messing with it. The springs are too soft and there is no tried and true z51 setting yet. Ondulations feel a boat and are very uncomfortable. On track it's pretty good but not too much difference in lap times (I got 0.3 better). I ran mine for 2 years then pulled it off. It is going to be for sale soon.

Also the z51 msr update is only for tour mode. I honestly think the stock z51 2015 car rides perfect in tour. Not too soft not too hard.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
I have been trying to get the mag ride upgrade but the dealers, which despite the corporate letter, are wanting to charge $480 to $510 to perform the upgrade of the software. I had 3 local stealerships tell me that the car needed physical parts changed for the process and it would take about 3-4 days to so. That is a total lie and none of them would waver on the position. The $350 has the labor built into the price and should never cost anything over $350 per GM corp. Are there any honest dealers in central texas?

So for me it is $500 for a GM upgrade or the DSC for $1200. Who has the DSC and would you say that it is a better buy than getting the GM upgrade for the mag ride? I use winter, now that it is cold, eco and sport on my daily driver. I have a lot of time in my commute below 20mph and a few bouts of over 79mph. I am looking for the control that makes the car less of a floating boat most of the time.

Anyone that has had the chance to compare the two? I am trying to spend money wisely, hence my query regarding this. Should I get the upgrade or the DSC?
Central Texas is pretty big, but if near San Antonio Gunn Chevy in Selma did my Z06 last spring..no problems in/out in under 2 hours.

Alternatively, find an authorized performance part dealer and you’ll likely have more luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
My opinion is, don't get a DSC for z51s unless you have good smooth roads or want to take several hours of messing with it. The springs are too soft and there is no tried and true z51 setting yet. Ondulations feel a boat and are very uncomfortable. On track it's pretty good but not too much difference in lap times (I got 0.3 better). I ran mine for 2 years then pulled it off. It is going to be for sale soon.

Also the z51 msr update is only for tour mode. I honestly think the stock z51 2015 car rides perfect in tour. Not too soft not too hard.
I thought the upgrade was for sport and tour but not yet for track? I ride in a friends 18 GS and thought his car felt more compliant or just softer in sport but didn't remember that that year came with the upgrade as factory until I was driving home. His sport felt like my tour kinda.

Thanks for the info about the DSC. I haven't read far enough in the thread yet to have known that, but the tweaker in me does love to fiddle with things and thought that messing with it would keep me busy over the winter. I just might be interested in your DSC when you sell it. I need to go read that DSC thread now though. It seemed to me that the springs in the Z51 were softer than I expected them to be and nice and comfy, just a little floaty but overall great for road trips on almost all roads. Do you know if the leaf springs in the car a linear rate or are they a bit progressive as the wheel goes through its travel?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Central Texas is pretty big, but if near San Antonio Gunn Chevy in Selma did my Z06 last spring..no problems in/out in under 2 hours.

Alternatively, find an authorized performance part dealer and you’ll likely have more luck.
I have friends that live near Seaworld and the window tint guy has a shop just north of SA in Selma area, so I will give them a call and maybe even get the front window UV tinted while I am down there. Get 3 things done at once. Now I just need to read up on the DSC tonight and see if it is something that I do want. I have heard several things called "game changers" and so far I bought one of those game changers and wasn't impressed.

Thanks for the info on Gunn as it is only 2 hours from me which would be worth the drive if they are good to work with.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
I thought the upgrade was for sport and tour but not yet for track? I ride in a friends 18 GS and thought his car felt more compliant or just softer in sport but didn't remember that that year came with the upgrade as factory until I was driving home. His sport felt like my tour kinda.

Thanks for the info about the DSC. I haven't read far enough in the thread yet to have known that, but the tweaker in me does love to fiddle with things and thought that messing with it would keep me busy over the winter. I just might be interested in your DSC when you sell it. I need to go read that DSC thread now though. It seemed to me that the springs in the Z51 were softer than I expected them to be and nice and comfy, just a little floaty but overall great for road trips on almost all roads. Do you know if the leaf springs in the car a linear rate or are they a bit progressive as the wheel goes through its travel?
I tweaked a bit but then got tired of it. The car with the DSC sport controller was scary at times. I hit a big dip on the highway going 75 and it wallowed like hell. I hated it. Put the stock controller back in, **** doesn't happen anymore.

If Mike levitas actually spent some time in a Z51 tuning one in. Maybe I'd go back.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 12-13-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:25 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Sold em because I temporarily lost my mind ....got a Porsche ...somewhere along the line promised wife we were going to end up in an SUV... in my mind that was a conversation about retirement...regardless put my foot down on the fat it needed to have some performance ...got a 17’ Macan S...what a beast...just not a corvette.
Was never more misearable....truly. The same wife that supported me with (2) C6’s and (2) C7’s ....saw how miserable I was ...telling ya she loved the Porsche......said she loved me more......so now I am in a 19’ GS and to be honest .......never felt more at home in my life.It is amazing to be back ....God bless America....(and my wife)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Booch443
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacific Northwest - Two Cents. Washington state has its fair share of Stealerships. I found it important to take the time to interview each dealership, their experience with the Corvette platform and successfully deploying the GM MRC update. All three of those don't necessarily align - from that point I focused on the price and the service/upgrade definition. My MRC upgrade experience yielded the following: $350 encompasses the entire transaction cost and should not exceed the $350.00 per GM corp - note the overall $350.00 price includes the dealerships download fee (rumored at $175.00) for this particular download and the remaining amount is to cover labor at the dealer level. IMO, anything beyond that is pure profit to the dealer.

I took my 2015 ZO6 to my dealership of choice, the dealer spent some time on the phone to get additional support advice from GM and finally concluded the upgrade. I was advised to not drive in a spirited manner for 12 hours after the upgrade - but I could drive the vehicle home immediately after the upgrade. The next day, I enjoyed a clear and distinct change in the ride of my vehicle.

Recap:
1) Do your research
2) Print out the GM Bulletin (Take it with you to the dealer)
3) Interview dealerships to determine experience on the Corvette and successfully deploying the MRC update
4) Be prepared to discuss the GM Bulletin and cost
5) Discuss with the dealer the process (i.e. conducting the upgrade, transition home, any issues after the upgrade or courses of action)
6) Take it home and let it set per the required time frame
7) Then enjoy the change to your car
The following users liked this post:
bringe (12-26-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

I tweaked a bit but then got tired of it. The car with the DSC sport controller was scary at times. I hit a big dip on the highway going 75 and it wallowed like hell. I hated it. Put the stock controller back in, **** doesn't happen anymore.

If Mike levitas actually spent some time in a Z51 tuning one in. Maybe I'd go back.

So you think that the weak spring rate in the Z51 results in the horrid control of the DSC unit? This is something that could be tuned out though, isn't it? I haven't dealt with MRC tuning before and I might think that it would be something that I could have fun with, until I get to play with it and find out that it isn't fun at all. lol I have seen a few posts of yours, so I know that you aren't a newb, which means that I will thake your input as slightly more weighted than others, whom I won't name lol, and I will appreciate your input. I am still reading the DSC thread though, as it is really long.

After ditching your DSC what are your plans for chassis control?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Sold em because I temporarily lost my mind ....got a Porsche ...somewhere along the line promised wife we were going to end up in an SUV... in my mind that was a conversation about retirement...regardless put my foot down on the fat it needed to have some performance ...got a 17’ Macan S...what a beast...just not a corvette.
Was never more misearable....truly. The same wife that supported me with (2) C6’s and (2) C7’s ....saw how miserable I was ...telling ya she loved the Porsche......said she loved me more......so now I am in a 19’ GS and to be honest .......never felt more at home in my life.It is amazing to be back ....God bless America....(and my wife)
LOL Great post! Life is funny like that, isn't it? I am glad that you have the money to do as you did and the caring wife to okay it also. She is a keeper for sure!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by Booch443
Pacific Northwest - Two Cents. Washington state has its fair share of Stealerships. I found it important to take the time to interview each dealership, their experience with the Corvette platform and successfully deploying the GM MRC update. All three of those don't necessarily align - from that point I focused on the price and the service/upgrade definition. My MRC upgrade experience yielded the following: $350 encompasses the entire transaction cost and should not exceed the $350.00 per GM corp - note the overall $350.00 price includes the dealerships download fee (rumored at $175.00) for this particular download and the remaining amount is to cover labor at the dealer level. IMO, anything beyond that is pure profit to the dealer.

I took my 2015 ZO6 to my dealership of choice, the dealer spent some time on the phone to get additional support advice from GM and finally concluded the upgrade. I was advised to not drive in a spirited manner for 12 hours after the upgrade - but I could drive the vehicle home immediately after the upgrade. The next day, I enjoyed a clear and distinct change in the ride of my vehicle.

Recap:
1) Do your research
2) Print out the GM Bulletin (Take it with you to the dealer)
3) Interview dealerships to determine experience on the Corvette and successfully deploying the MRC update
4) Be prepared to discuss the GM Bulletin and cost
5) Discuss with the dealer the process (i.e. conducting the upgrade, transition home, any issues after the upgrade or courses of action)
6) Take it home and let it set per the required time frame
7) Then enjoy the change to your car
Thanks for the info, I only talked on the phone with them, so I should go in person at some point and see if they change their tune, but I now have a line on 2 decent dealers that I will check out when I get a free day next month. I have cited the bulletin over the phone but those that I talked to were steadfast on their position of needing to charge 1-2 hrs labor on top of the 350 and the need to keep the car for several days. It is hard to reason with a potato. lol

Get notified of new replies

To DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

You might remember I had the same complaint with the Z51 release from DSC, that set up in tour mode scared me coming down I90 out of the cascades last summer. But from reading others attempts to make changes I was able to dial mine in to what I believe is a fix for that wallowing at speed. I also made a few changes in track mode for autocross but won’t be able to test those til next May. I remain happy with my DSC and continue to monitor both their web site and the corvette forum to learn.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by Ammo

You might remember I had the same complaint with the Z51 release from DSC, that set up in tour mode scared me coming down I90 out of the cascades last summer. But from reading others attempts to make changes I was able to dial mine in to what I believe is a fix for that wallowing at speed. I also made a few changes in track mode for autocross but won’t be able to test those til next May. I remain happy with my DSC and continue to monitor both their web site and the corvette forum to learn.
You just made my segue into a question really easy. lol I am glad that you were able to tame the beast and would be interested in what settings you changed if I get one of these. I kinda shot my budget by buying wheels, but I still really want to do something with the suspension as after driving for a while it feels like the car has a pair of flat tires in the rear, which I know is tire temp related but I also think that it is compounding the already apparent disconnection the MRC currently has in the softer tour setting.

Can you share tunes for the DSC so that others can download the file into the DSC and try it out themselves like you can for ECU tunes?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Yes, they can be shared and I‘d be glad to. Let me know when you get your DSC. Keep in mind the liabilities remain all yours!
The following users liked this post:
Yourconfused (12-16-2018)

Quick Reply: DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade