C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Yes, they can be shared and I‘d be glad to. Let me know when you get your DSC. Keep in mind the liabilities remain all yours!
Thanks! I will hit you up when/if I get one and just like loading someone else's tune, I know it is all on me if something goes wrong.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:43 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So what has it been now, three years? And the same complaints of wallowing. I have a GT350 and can tell you the original calibration was literally undriveable. My current calibration is revision #123 from a private owner and is pretty well-sorted. I don't know if it is any better than what Ford puts on their 2019's but something tells me their R&D people aren't just sitting around doing nothing. My car still does not deal with road heaves as well as my 16 year old SL500 or even my wife's 2018 Subaru Cross Trek. The DSC seems to allow an extra cycle of movement. To me it seems like lack of rebound control. All the calibration tables I've seen have equal compression and rebound. I'm wondering if stiffer rebound relative to compression would eliminate the wallowing.

Last edited by 65sohc; 12-23-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 12-21-2018, 11:20 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 65sohc
So what has it been now, three years? And the same complaints of wallowing. I have a GT350 and can tell you the original calibration was literally undriveable. My current calibration is revision #123 from a private owner and is pretty well-sorted. I don't know if it is any better than what Ford puts on their 2019's but something tells me their R&D people aren't just sitting around doing nothing. My car still does not deal with road heaves as well as my 16 year old SL500 or even my wife's 2018 Subaru Cross Trek. The DSC seems to allow an extra cycle of movement. To me it seems like lack of rebound control. All the calibration tables I've seen have equal compression and rebound. I'm wondering if stiffer relative to compression would eliminate the wallowing.
​​​​​​Do the stock controllers use wheel travel to change dampening. Why else have travel sensors, I guess maybe to know if it's compressing or rebounding?

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 12-21-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:49 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
​​​​​​Do the stock controllers use wheel travel to change dampening. Why else have travel sensors, I guess maybe to know if it's compressing or rebounding?
Yes. Ford does and I'm I'm sure GM too. Ford uses as an example: when your front wheel enters a pothole the Magride makes an adjustment before the tire hits the bottom of the hole.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:27 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

So what has it been now, three years? And the same complaints of wallowing. I have a GT350 and can tell you the original calibration was literally undriveable. My current calibration is revision #123 from a private owner and is pretty well-sorted. I don't know if it is any better than what Ford puts on their 2019's but something tells me their R&D people aren't just sitting around doing nothing. My car still does not deal with road heaves as well as my 16 year old SL500 or even my wife's 2018 Subaru Cross Trek. The DSC seems to allow an extra cycle of movement. To me it seems like lack of rebound control. All the calibration tables I've seen have equal compression and rebound. I'm wondering if stiffer rebound relative to compression would eliminate the wallowing.
Yes. Ford does and I'm I'm sure GM too. Ford uses as an example: when your front wheel enters a pothole the Magride makes an adjustment before the tire hits the bottom of the hole.
Thanks for the input, and this is exactly what I am looking for in the DSC, the ability to tune it as if they are multi way adjustable shocks. I think that what is needed is to be able to alter the stiffness relative to the wheel travel in order to mimic a rising rate suspension system which should dampen out the wallow/flat tire feeling in the stock tune.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:29 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
Thanks for the input, and this is exactly what I am looking for in the DSC, the ability to tune it as if they are multi way adjustable shocks. I think that what is needed is to be able to alter the stiffness relative to the wheel travel in order to mimic a rising rate suspension system which should dampen out the wallow/flat tire feeling in the stock tune.
The stock tune doesn't wallow.... The DSC tune does.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:10 PM
65sohc
Instructor

True. Yesterday my son traded his 2017 Mustang GT for a 2016 GT350. I've had the DSC for about two years and had forgotten what the stock Magneride felt like. Now I have an immediate point of reference. Pretty much as you have indicated I've spent the last two years working to eliminate wallow that was never there in the first place. Firstly given the fact that the DSC computer is more powerful than the GM and Ford OEM units it obviously is capable of providing damper control with no trace of wallow. Secondly, it isn't as though some cars will wallow and others won't. All Corvettes of a given specification will react the same as will Shelby's. Therefore it is puzzling to me that the DSC was released with the calibrations it was. I can't speak for Corvette, but I can't imagine any engineer driving a GT350 with the initial DSC calibration and thinking it was an improvement over stock. A recent youtube review by Autofanatic ripped it to shreds. I contacted him personally and assured him the most recent calibration is worlds better but he'd already sold his unit.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

So I recently put the DSC on my GS. I honestly haven't had a chance to really drive it a lot yet, but can someone explain more about this "wallowing" ? Sounds like it isn't a fun experience.

Also, is there anyone willing to share a setting that eliminates it?

Last edited by Sconn; 12-26-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:48 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sconn
So I recently put the DSC on my GS. I honestly haven't had a chance to really drive it a lot yet, but can someone explain more about this "wallowing" ? Sounds like it isn't a fun experience.

I haven't heard of GS/z06 guys complain ..it's mainly a problem on the z51s with the dsc which is setup with little or no dampening on the street. It basically means you hit a big crest or dip and the car will float like a boat going over a wave (example: front left then front right then rear left then rear right). But much quicker of course. It is super unsettling. I had to make the suspension fairly stiff to get rid of most of it but big bumps still caused it. Went back to stock. 100x better.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

I haven't heard of GS/z06 guys complain ..it's mainly a problem on the z51s with the dsc which is setup with little or no dampening on the street. It basically means you hit a big crest or dip and the car will float like a boat going over a wave (example: front left then front right then rear left then rear right). But much quicker of course. It is super unsettling. I had to make the suspension fairly stiff to get rid of most of it but big bumps still caused it. Went back to stock. 100x better.
Thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it!
I have a friend with a Z06 and the DSC kind of explain it to me last night. He's only had it happen under pretty extreme circumstances and it was very minor.
Good to know it's the Z51's that mostly have the issue. Hopefully they will get it worked out for those guys too.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

It is hard to communicate when words aren't well defined or understood in relation to a topic, such as the wallowing. Not a knock at you, but just saying that we must be using the same word to describe two different things here. I have actually checked tire pressure a few times, at the tire and not just looking at the DIC, as it felt like I had a flat or a pair of flat tires. Hot pressure was 32psi. It wasn't the tires at all but was just the cars suspension feeling funny to me. Maybe I need to make up a new term for this? lol How about FTS, flat tire syndrome? hahaha
In comparison the Z51 I drove for a while with the bilsteins didn't feel like this and actually seemed to ride better. I know the car has really soft spring rates, which is good and bad, but I think that the MRC should be capable of compensating, if calibrated correctly.

Overall I really like the cars ride, but there are instances where it just isn't up to par. I scrape and rub over lower speed, 3-40mph, dips and undulations such as idling over speed bumps or driving on these roads around me where the ground moves a lot creating 2" smooth but sudden changes in road surface height. I have learned to slowly brake when coasting down the backside of speed bumps at 1-2 mph because of this, but switching from tour to sport on the undulating roads causes my whiny back to complain a lot. I have built a lot of race cars from 20' sticks of steel over the yrs, so I have done my fair share of suspension systems, and it just seems to me that this cars setup is capable but is lacking in stock tune.

As I bought the car at the end of Oct this year i haven't gotten to drive the car hard due to temps and the MPSS not having traction, I am looking forwards to seeing what it can do in warmer weather. If the tires weren't new I would have already switched them out for something better suited to street temps already to see what the suspension is capable of aside from just normal driving. Since it is not a garage monster nor a track star I want to get the tour/sport settings in the suspension up to par for me.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

True. Yesterday my son traded his 2017 Mustang GT for a 2016 GT350. I've had the DSC for about two years and had forgotten what the stock Magneride felt like. Now I have an immediate point of reference. Pretty much as you have indicated I've spent the last two years working to eliminate wallow that was never there in the first place. Firstly given the fact that the DSC computer is more powerful than the GM and Ford OEM units it obviously is capable of providing damper control with no trace of wallow. Secondly, it isn't as though some cars will wallow and others won't. All Corvettes of a given specification will react the same as will Shelby's. Therefore it is puzzling to me that the DSC was released with the calibrations it was. I can't speak for Corvette, but I can't imagine any engineer driving a GT350 with the initial DSC calibration and thinking it was an improvement over stock. A recent youtube review by Autofanatic ripped it to shreds. I contacted him personally and assured him the most recent calibration is worlds better but he'd already sold his unit.
Can you give a link to that vid please? Thanks
Old 12-27-2018, 10:46 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Stupid GS/Z06 guys.... lol
Old 12-28-2018, 12:01 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

without doing a fair bit of research I’m not sure if the GS suspension is closer to the Z06 or the Z51. Be sure of what came on yours, probably the Z06 settings. Recommend you get familiar with the DSC and your ability to make changes then load the Z06 tune and drive it in all modes. After a week change to the Z51 tune and then compare your seat of the pants impressions. Use those as a starting point for further DIY adjustments as needed. I can tell you what settings I’ve made to my DSC for my Z51 if you would like a third opinion to compare.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

without doing a fair bit of research I’m not sure if the GS suspension is closer to the Z06 or the Z51. Be sure of what came on yours, probably the Z06 settings. Recommend you get familiar with the DSC and your ability to make changes then load the Z06 tune and drive it in all modes. After a week change to the Z51 tune and then compare your seat of the pants impressions. Use those as a starting point for further DIY adjustments as needed. I can tell you what settings I’ve made to my DSC for my Z51 if you would like a third opinion to compare.
Gs suspension is identical to z06.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:26 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your thoughts on this and the offer to share tour tune. I've probably only driven it 20 miles or so since I put the DSC in. I'm going to try it for a while where it's at to see if any tweaking is necessary. Sounds like I may be OK since the GS suspension is the same as the Z06.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 AM
65sohc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
Can you give a link to that vid please? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Yourconfused (12-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade

Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 PM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Sold em because I temporarily lost my mind ....got a Porsche ...somewhere along the line promised wife we were going to end up in an SUV... in my mind that was a conversation about retirement...regardless put my foot down on the fat it needed to have some performance ...got a 17’ Macan S...what a beast...just not a corvette.
Was never more misearable....truly. The same wife that supported me with (2) C6’s and (2) C7’s ....saw how miserable I was ...telling ya she loved the Porsche......said she loved me more......so now I am in a 19’ GS and to be honest .......never felt more at home in my life.It is amazing to be back ....God bless America....(and my wife)
Sounds familiar, we have a 14' C7 Z51 and '15 Macan S. The Macan is the most fun SUV I've ever drove, and I'm not a big fan of SUVs. I put a Cobb AP on it and it wakes up even more! It's no C7 but still a lovable machine that can haul a lot of ppl and stuff.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Z06 has higher spring rates and therefore different MRC calibration.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by itch808
Sounds familiar, we have a 14' C7 Z51 and '15 Macan S. The Macan is the most fun SUV I've ever drove, and I'm not a big fan of SUVs. I put a Cobb AP on it and it wakes up even more! It's no C7 but still a lovable machine that can haul a lot of ppl and stuff.
I was looking for a CTS-V wagon just for the hauling capabilities but after driving a coupe, because wagons are hard to find, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would and the recaro seats just killed me. Have you played with the AP or downloaded the race software to mess with it? I have a AP on my legacy gt and liked playing with it much better that the other laptop based software the car has a tune for also.

Quick Reply: DSC sport vs MRC, mag ride upgrade