C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Prep: Race seat, quick release steering, and sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 PM
arpphoto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Prep: Race seat, quick release steering, and sensors?

Hi, I just purchased a 2017 C7 GS, 7 speed, LT2 trim with 4000 miles. It will be a dedicated track car to replace my PROJECT cars that let me down track side.

I have been driving with NASA FL and NASA SE for the past 5 years. Tracks I go to are Sebring, Road Atlanta, CMP, Robeling Road, VIR, etc.

On the interior of the car I am installing a 4-pt roll bar, 6-pt harness, fixed back race seat, and a quick release steering wheel... I have a few questions I was hopping to get some help with... (I apologize in advance if these are covered on this forum already. I have done a lot of searching over the last week via Google but most information I can find is about the C6 and older platforms... I am starting to think I should have bought a C5 or C6...)

#1 - Unlike all other cars I have tracked, this car is full of electronic gadgets that I will more than likely never fully understand. What I do understand is that once I remove the stock seats I will loose control over the steering column and mirrors??? I noticed there is a plug-in module for the C6 that resolves this issue... I do not see anything for the C7... How are folks with the C7 getting past these issues when they remove the stock seats?

#2 - As this is a dedicated track car that will not see street use, I have no need for the controls on the steering wheel and would like to install one of my MOMO steering wheels and quick releases... what sort of alarms will I set off when I do this?

#3 - I have no need for air bags and rather them not pop out from their little hiding spots when I decide to go into a tire wall... What is my best option regarding disabling or removing SRS?

#4 - I know I can temporarily disable various driving aids by pushing buttons... is there a way to disable unwanted things permanently so I do not have to dismiss various warnings each time I start the car? This would be very helpful when playing around with square wheel/tire setup...

Thanks for any help!

Adam

Last edited by arpphoto; 12-15-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Found answer to one question.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

subscribing! Esp. to question #1.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Tay
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arpphoto
Hi, I just purchased a 2017 C7 GS, 7 speed, LT2 trim with 4000 miles. It will be a dedicated track car to replace my PROJECT cars that let me down track side.

I have been driving with NASA FL and NASA SE for the past 5 years. Tracks I go to are Sebring, Road Atlanta, CMP, Robeling Road, VIR, etc.

On the interior of the car I am installing a 4-pt roll bar, 6-pt harness, fixed back race seat, and a quick release steering wheel... I have a few questions I was hopping to get some help with... (I apologize in advance if these are covered on this forum already. I have done a lot of searching over the last week via Google but most information I can find is about the C6 and older platforms... I am starting to think I should have bought a C5 or C6...)

#1 - Unlike all other cars I have tracked, this car is full of electronic gadgets that I will more than likely never fully understand. What I do understand is that once I remove the stock seats I will loose control over the steering column and mirrors??? I noticed there is a plug-in module for the C6 that resolves this issue... I do not see anything for the C7... How are folks with the C7 getting past these issues when they remove the stock seats?

#2 - As this is a dedicated track car that will not see street use, I have no need for the controls on the steering wheel and would like to install one of my MOMO steering wheels and quick releases... what sort of alarms will I set off when I do this?

#3 - I have no need for air bags and rather them not pop out from their little hiding spots when I decide to go into a tire wall... What is my best option regarding disabling or removing SRS?

#4 - I know I can temporarily disable various driving aids by pushing buttons... is there a way to disable unwanted things permanently so I do not have to dismiss various warnings each time I start the car? This would be very helpful when playing around with square wheel/tire setup...

Thanks for any help!

Adam
I would contact Vette Works regarding the airbags. They make a kit for the C6 and they told me they were working in a kit for the C7 when I sent them an email a while back:
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/index.php

And maybe contact these guys as well: http://www.xineering.com/index.html
Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 AM
arpphoto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Tay
I would contact Vette Works regarding the airbags. They make a kit for the C6 and they told me they were working in a kit for the C7 when I sent them an email a while back:
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/index.php

And maybe contact these guys as well: http://www.xineering.com/index.html
Thanks, I had seen the older post regarding Vette Works.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM
arpphoto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by archfarseer
subscribing! Esp. to question #1.
It seems to be related to the trim level. If you have the LT1 then you do not have this issue. Any other trim level with memory seats and you are stuck until someone comes up with a solution such as the VetteWorks C6 bypass kit or you rewire it to have direct power to the control switch (in theory).
Old 12-18-2018, 09:58 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a ton of information on all of this on the forum if you just search .. I'd recommend go to Google and use the following search pattern: site:corvetteforum.com [keyword] [keyword] - That way you can use google search on the site.

- I got Vetteworks airbag sim however I can confirm that I couldn't get it to work on my 2019 C7 GS
- I am running with an airbag light right now. I have Sparco QRT seats and have removed the stock seat belts and belt airbags. I still have the stock steering wheel however I'm thinking of removing that and replacing it with a sparco steering wheel.
- Only alarm you'll set off if you remove the stock steering wheel is the airbag light
- Keep in mind the stock steering wheel also controls the information display in the dash - you won't be able to adjust that unless you remove the right side left/right/up/down controller on the steering wheel - Also rev matching using the paddle shifters (even for the MT car)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

My steering wheel airbag is disconnected.

My passenger airbag is gone.

Have race seats in car

steering column will still move, not sure on mirrors as the doors are gutted and cant remember if the mirrors are hooked up still. dont think so.

I get the following DIC popups: TPMS, Airbag, Suspension system (I have simulators) and after flipping the killswitch on I get a rear axle popup and have to restart the car to clear that one.

Steering wheel is my next thing I'm doing getting in and out is a huge pain in the *** with the cage

I've just been after a more elegant way to control the stupid DIC instead of just leaving the factory buttons duct taped to the steering column.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

@lobsterroboto
If you have a solution for the operation on the steering wheel then please show me that, I've been looking for a long time.
My electronics engineer plans to rebuild this winter.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:01 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
There's a ton of information on all of this on the forum if you just search .. I'd recommend go to Google and use the following search pattern: site:corvetteforum.com [keyword] [keyword] - That way you can use google search on the site.

- I got Vetteworks airbag sim however I can confirm that I couldn't get it to work on my 2019 C7 GS
- I am running with an airbag light right now. I have Sparco QRT seats and have removed the stock seat belts and belt airbags. I still have the stock steering wheel however I'm thinking of removing that and replacing it with a sparco steering wheel.
- Only alarm you'll set off if you remove the stock steering wheel is the airbag light
- Keep in mind the stock steering wheel also controls the information display in the dash - you won't be able to adjust that unless you remove the right side left/right/up/down controller on the steering wheel - Also rev matching using the paddle shifters (even for the MT car)
so just to confirm, your steering column has no power and your mirrors have no power?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lasco001
@lobsterroboto
If you have a solution for the operation on the steering wheel then please show me that, I've been looking for a long time.
My electronics engineer plans to rebuild this winter.
1st plan is to just route the OEM button harness out the side of the steering column and tape.

2nd phase of the plan is to make an entirely new button assembly. However, im also debating a full motec system as well at this point which would eliminate the need for the stupid *** buttons.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Originally Posted by archfarseer

so just to confirm, your steering column has no power and your mirrors have no power?
My streering wheel has power telescoping no problem, my mirrors don't but its only because I have a 2LT.. 1LT doesn't have this problem and both wheel and mirrors retain power
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

My streering wheel has power telescoping no problem, my mirrors don't but its only because I have a 2LT.. 1LT doesn't have this problem and both wheel and mirrors retain power
thats helpful. I’m going ahead with my recaro profi xl seat then. (Yes it will fit. Has a custom bracket)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:22 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

It'll be quite the feat if you can fit the profi xl in there... I could barely squeeze in a Sparco QRT-R ... I have marrad brackets.. Overall I'm happy with my seat. Mirrors I jusrt adjusted manually by hand once and then don't need to touch them again since the seat is in a fixed position
Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Tangoromeo
Cruising

Just buy dedicated track car!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 AM
archfarseer
Instructor

It'll be quite the feat if you can fit the profi xl in there... I could barely squeeze in a Sparco QRT-R ... I have marrad brackets.. Overall I'm happy with my seat. Mirrors I jusrt adjusted manually by hand once and then don't need to touch them again since the seat is in a fixed position
fingers crossed. Will let you know!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:08 AM
arpphoto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
1st plan is to just route the OEM button harness out the side of the steering column and tape.

2nd phase of the plan is to make an entirely new button assembly. However, im also debating a full motec system as well at this point which would eliminate the need for the stupid *** buttons.
Sorry for the following silly question but I have not had any time to play with the car...

Can you control the settings the steering wheel button controls via the fancy digital screen on the center console?

Your 1st plan gave me an idea... extend the wires on the buttons and put them on the center console near shifter.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:22 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by arpphoto
Sorry for the following silly question but I have not had any time to play with the car...

Can you control the settings the steering wheel button controls via the fancy digital screen on the center console?

Your 1st plan gave me an idea... extend the wires on the buttons and put them on the center console near shifter.

nope.

the steering wheel buttons are really the only way to interface with the DIC.

so while not absolutely necessary for anything. It's super helpful to be able to clear the pop up warnings so i can see the gauges and change the display as sometimes the link to drive mode selection isn't there.

Not having the buttons won't limit you on anything functionality wise, you'll still be able to enter PTM and select modes or disable it completely via the rotary dial on the center console.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Prep: Race seat, quick release steering, and sensors?

Old 12-19-2018, 12:50 PM
arpphoto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
nope.

the steering wheel buttons are really the only way to interface with the DIC.

so while not absolutely necessary for anything. It's super helpful to be able to clear the pop up warnings so i can see the gauges and change the display as sometimes the link to drive mode selection isn't there.

Not having the buttons won't limit you on anything functionality wise, you'll still be able to enter PTM and select modes or disable it completely via the rotary dial on the center console.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

so I've been doing a lot of research, on the matter and have had help from @w00tw00t he cleaned up the wheel button harness to only the necessary buttons and made a great howto on youtube (directional/okay/revmatch) so it's a much smaller harness to deal with.

he routed his stuff through a hub adapter and up to his wheel (non detachable)

I'm doing something similar however I'm looking at a few solutions to mount the buttons on the hub (the button harness needs to turn with the wheel) and not interfere with the detachment of the wheel.

I got my quick release yesterday and still waiting on my wheel and hub adapter but will update with my solution.

As it stands the wheel position sensor is in front of the clock spring and requires it to be there to hold it in place to function. I would like to figure out a way to wire the button harness behind the clock spring so it won't need to spin around with the clock spring.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

so an update.

the wires that go into the rear of the clock spring are the same color as the ones that go to the wheel button harness

I cut some length of wire and ran from the column to the center of my console area for the buttons.

keeps them out of the way.

Quick Reply: Track Prep: Race seat, quick release steering, and sensors?