C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-AN fittings on dry sump tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts
Default -AN fittings on dry sump tank

Does anybody know of a way to add -AN fittings to the factory tank or know of an aftermarket tank that has them that will fit a c7 z06? I want to leave the factory oil cooler/heater on the car for street use but add an air to oil cooler and use an adapter on the right side of the motor, go through a thermostat, through the cooler and then back to the dry sump tank. Thanks for any help or ideas.
I've also thought about an oil filter relocation kit and using that, with a thermostatically controlled valve, to add an oil cooler. Any suggestions on either route would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 12-20-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't help you on the -AN tank but I did use one of these on my 350z track car. Only issue I had was the o-ring that came on the kit wasn't thick enough and was creating an oil leak. This was easily fixed by using an o-ring off of an old oil filter.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 11:19 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Thanks. That's kind of what I'm talking about. I don't think there's enough room to drop the filter any lower so I would have to relocate that. I'm either going to do that tap in on the tank side. Any ideas help.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:40 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I remove the stock hoses from the fittings and weld on -12 male AN
The following 2 users liked this post by 3X2:
Avanti (12-26-2018), badhabit_wb (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Did you just pull the tank and take it to a welder? Are the openings deep enough to thread? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I haven't looked at this particular tank, but I can tell you having welded on sheet metal oil tanks in the past that its really hard to weld tanks that have had oil in them. The problem is the walls are relatively thin, and when you get weld penetration to the inside of the tank, the oil residue contaminates the weld producing pinhole leaks. If it has fittings (preferably steel) that can be removed and welded to that is preferable by far. I would hope that it just uses pipe fittings that can be removed and swapped out for the required AN hose size.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
I haven't looked at this particular tank, but I can tell you having welded on sheet metal oil tanks in the past that its really hard to weld tanks that have had oil in them. The problem is the walls are relatively thin, and when you get weld penetration to the inside of the tank, the oil residue contaminates the weld producing pinhole leaks. If it has fittings (preferably steel) that can be removed and welded to that is preferable by far. I would hope that it just uses pipe fittings that can be removed and swapped out for the required AN hose size.
Thanks. I agree with you. I think I've decided to scrap that idea and put an adapter where the factory oil cooler/heater is. If I put a 212 thermostat in it the oil should heat up enough for street use and work fine at the track as well.

Get notified of new replies

To -AN fittings on dry sump tank

Quick Reply: -AN fittings on dry sump tank