C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I built a Arduino based GPS Exhaust Flap Controller for Laguna Seca Sound !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:30 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

WOW talk about MAD skills , Great job. I love to hear of a problem being solved.
The following users liked this post:
w00tw00t (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Very cool. Next step should be to have it network enabled so you can store in the cloud the locations of sound check stations at various tracks (Lime Rock, NCM, the ring, etc.). Go to any track and have it just work
Old 12-29-2018, 12:06 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Very cool. Next step should be to have it network enabled so you can store in the cloud the locations of sound check stations at various tracks (Lime Rock, NCM, the ring, etc.). Go to any track and have it just work
That's a cool idea!! There is a version of arduino with a wifi chip ... Are there a lot of tracks with sound check stations like laguna?
Old 12-31-2018, 10:12 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Man...

Arduinos, Raspberry PIs and the new Pi Zero.

What a great time to be a Linux coder!
Hey, it'll boot Windows Embedded too! Which is actually super-cool if you use Unity (for graphics and so on) but obviously for this task, Raspbian is the way to go! I'm actually doing all my work in the OSX console right now (Unix sockets, pipes, etc) so I imagine that's pretty darned close to Linux?

Cool project idea! I had the thought (which is the EASY part, to be sure) back when people were first having trouble there, but always wondered if someone could hack the BCM somehow to do it internally, but this works great for the base car it seems!

I bet you could also do this on a single chip (ESP32) except for the GPS part!

Last edited by davepl; 12-31-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Hope you feel better, that is awesome, you must be smart.

I just put an on/ff sw on the console within reach. Just have to remember to hit it each lap. Haha.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
Hi Everybody,

I recently had a knee injury with surgery scheduled for this week. To distract myself and do something useful at the same time I started building a GPS based exhaust flap controller for the C7 Corvette and Grandsport for tracks that check sound.

This is based on a design by Mech33 on the rennlist forum for the Porsche GT cars.

I recently finished it and thought I'd make a post of out it:

Mostly I made this so I can stay flat open through Turn 5 to Turn 6, past the sound station at Laguna Seca with no need to upshift to 4 and not have to worry about blowing sound!

Summary
- Uses GPS to calculate when the car is within 80 feet of the Laguna Seca Turn 5 Sound station
- Automatically closes flaps when the above condition is met
- Re-opens flaps when past the sound station.
- Optionally - Keeps flaps closed for the first 30 seconds of bootup - Basically keeps my neighbors happy when I fire up the car first thing in the morning
- I've also programmed it such that it will close flaps anytime it is within 80 feet of my house
- Can be configured for any track (Not limited to Laguna Seca)

IMPORTANT NOTE - Only works properly for C7 Stingray and Grand sport models. Does not work on the Z06 or ZR1. For the Stingray/GS, the car keeps the flaps closed past ~3800 rpms in stealth mode (which my device relies on). On the Z06/ZR1, even in stealth mode, the car opens the exhaust flaps when going past ~3800 rpms... unfortunately.

Technical Details
- Mainboard - Arduino Uno Microcontroller board
- Relay - Seeed Arduino Relay Shield V2.0
- GPS - Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield with external GPS Antenna
- Packaging - Alekshop Provided Custom Case!
- Software - Code heavily modified and updated - based on Mech33's code for the Porsche GT cars
- Quick disconnect for flap relay and GPS external antenna

Credits
- Much thanks to Mech33.for the original idea on rennlist
- Thanks to Aleks and Alekshop for providing me with a custom case

If anyone else is interested, I'm happy to build a few more.

Finished Device:

Final prototype for testing:

Modified a tap-a-fuse and tapped into Fuse 83 to control the flaps via my controller:

Code:

OMG I want / need one!!! I have heard of people doing this at Laguna. My only concern is that the warranty will go bye bye. hhhmmmm
Old 01-03-2019, 05:36 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
OMG I want / need one!!! I have heard of people doing this at Laguna. My only concern is that the warranty will go bye bye. hhhmmmm
If you want one seriously then pm me and I can build you one.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Interesting! Which GPS shield are you using? What's the accuracy (like 5 inches or 5 feet or 5 yards) and at what Hz?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Originally Posted by davepl
Interesting! Which GPS shield are you using? What's the accuracy (like 5 inches or 5 feet or 5 yards) and at what Hz?
Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield at 10Hz. I'll have to look up the accuracy numbers but its pretty high and is proven to work well for this scenario.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 PM
CubPilot
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportsman2003
I never could understand why people would buy a house next to a race track then complain about noise. It would be like moving to the desert and crying there is no
water! duh!!
For the same reason people will buy a home next to an airport and then complain about the noise or low flying aircraft. They always think it is easier to move the track/airport. It is always ALL ABOUT THEM when they want the "offender" shut down!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
That's a cool idea!! There is a version of arduino with a wifi chip ... Are there a lot of tracks with sound check stations like laguna?
Just about every track has a sound station. Sears pt. is on the right side by start/finish, thunderhill is on the left side by S/F. But Laguna is the worst for sound as its near the ocean and weather conditions can greatly affect the readings. In addition, there is a hill opposite the sound station that reflects the sound back towards the meter. Even 103 Db for race weekends can be tough, given the weather. Based on the time of day the sound limit changes at Laguna.
The following users liked this post:
w00tw00t (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:39 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Teriffic work! Way to GO!.

Can this control the flaps of NPP mufflers that were not factory installed, where the NPP exhaust was installed in place of the standard non-NPP exhaust??

Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Teriffic work! Way to GO!.

Can this control the flaps of NPP mufflers that were not factory installed, where the NPP exhaust was installed in place of the standard non-NPP exhaust??

Thank you!

I don't know to be honest. If the flaps are still controlled via the same fuse in the front engine bay then yes it will work.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Great work. I track my Z06 at Laguna, so I had to go the mechanical route. I would really appreciate a version for a Z06 and willing to BUY one from you to kickstart the Z06 version.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oadcourse.html
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Wow, very cool!

Quick Reply: I built a Arduino based GPS Exhaust Flap Controller for Laguna Seca Sound !!!!