C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on headers before buying-C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Need info on headers before buying-C7

For those really in the know, I have some questions about adding headers to my current set up. 2107 Grand Sport currently with Corsa x pipe, factory cats, and B & B Fusion cat back NPP exhaust. Im possibly wanting to add headers to this set up. 1.What headers will fit the factory cats and Corsa x pipe? What size, shorty, mid length or? 2.What gains if any without a tune (not interested in a tune) 3. What brand ie Kooks or? 4. Will adding the headers cause a CEL? Thanks for any expert replies!

Last edited by Pit Now; 01-06-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: new question
Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 AM
konqueror5
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ARH catted mid length will bolt up to your corsa x pipe. They will replace the primary cats with hi flows. Advertised not to throw any codes. Without a tune I really don't know how much power you'll add. No longtubes if you don't want to tune, or have to take that Corsa X pipe off. There is a thread on numbers for ARH mids power gains with and without a tune. Do a search. For the record I have TSP 1 7/8 headers tuned.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Pit Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by konqueror5
ARH catted mid length will bolt up to your corsa x pipe. They will replace the primary cats with hi flows. Advertised not to throw any codes. Without a tune I really don't know how much power you'll add. No longtubes if you don't want to tune, or have to take that Corsa X pipe off. There is a thread on numbers for ARH mids power gains with and without a tune. Do a search. For the record I have TSP 1 7/8 headers tuned.
Very helpful and interesting reply. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:04 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Don't spend your money on any exhaust upgrades unless you are going with long tubes. It is not worth the money and labor to go with "shorties". If you go with the long tubes, you will need to buy the header manufacturers X pipe also, at least with Kooks you do
The following users liked this post:
c6txvette (01-24-2020)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Pit Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by 449er
Don't spend your money on any exhaust upgrades unless you are going with long tubes. It is not worth the money and labor to go with "shorties". If you go with the long tubes, you will need to buy the header manufacturers X pipe also, at least with Kooks you do
Well said and thanks for the reply. Since I posted this my local Corvette shop pretty much said the same thing. He quoted Kooks headers with Kooks x pipe in order to fit properly along with the necessary tune and CAI. $3200 installed.

Last edited by Pit Now; 01-10-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

ARH mid tubes only give up about 10 HP over long tubes and bolt right up to the factory X pipe

here is just one post about them being put on a car without a tune from Vengence Racing , one of the most respected shops
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ideo-dyno.html
Dave
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

If you run ARH or Kooks you'll have to use their x-pipe as well for the proper connection, and can sell your Corsa x-pipe relatively easily. We've done a few Corsa header installs as well to mate to their x-pipe and no real complaints there either. That pricing is about right if you factor in parts, labor, GM gaskets, heat sleeves on the wires, and the oil/filter you'll have to do on a dry sump car as well as tuning. Do NOT run the short/mid length units unless you just want to change something on the car. The longtubes will enhance both performance and sound much more than the other options and are the only way to spend money on that section of the exhaust.

I am an ARH and Kooks dealer if you're interested in a system for the car that we can help with as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

^^^ I agree with you David but to the op here get are go with the ARH much better in my book. Robert
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
^^^ I agree with you David but to the op here get are go with the ARH much better in my book. Robert
Curious about what the ARH headers are better than and what is better about them? Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Throttle Response

Do you guys that installed full length headers on your C7 feel like the throttle response was lessened? Do you think you lost any low end torque?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lakemg
Curious about what the ARH headers are better than and what is better about them? Thanks
Better fitment in my book I know this was from my c5 set up. But bought a new set of KOOKS from them on a set of 2 inch headers. I made it a point to ask if these were the new version & not the old version. I was told these are the NEW that will not burn out r a hole into the A/C line. Well they did I even called them back & told them it was about what ever close to the A/C sent them a pic of it with the box part #.

Well in 3 days it burn a hole into my A/C line called the guy I got them from at KOOKS after 2 days of talking he told me he was sorry but he wouldn't do nothing about it. I pulled them sold them got the ARH 2 inch headers they went on much better & wasn't as close to the A/C line cost me 125.00 to fix the A/C line plus what I lost on the sell of the headers. Robert
Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by marcouvo
Do you guys that installed full length headers on your C7 feel like the throttle response was lessened? Do you think you lost any low end torque?
Yes you will feel like you have but will get it back on the top end.. Robert
Old 01-12-2019, 03:28 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by David@Vengeance
If you run ARH or Kooks you'll have to use their x-pipe as well for the proper connection, and can sell your Corsa x-pipe relatively easily. We've done a few Corsa header installs as well to mate to their x-pipe and no real complaints there either. That pricing is about right if you factor in parts, labor, GM gaskets, heat sleeves on the wires, and the oil/filter you'll have to do on a dry sump car as well as tuning. Do NOT run the short/mid length units unless you just want to change something on the car. The longtubes will enhance both performance and sound much more than the other options and are the only way to spend money on that section of the exhaust.

I am an ARH and Kooks dealer if you're interested in a system for the car that we can help with as well.
Great info. Why do we need to change oil on dry sumps? What heat sleeves do you use? What are your thoughts on Jet Hot coating headers?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Party pooper alert.

This isn't the '70s anymore. $3+K to gain maybe 10 top-end Hp on a 460HP engine? Is it really worth it? I can't use 50% of the hp on the street, and even on the racetrack, if I disable the TC, the car is sideways half the time. Lots of money to just add noise, IMHO, but its your money.
Zodiak77 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:58 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Party pooper alert.

This isn't the '70s anymore. $3+K to gain maybe 10 top-end Hp on a 460HP engine? Is it really worth it? I can't use 50% of the hp on the street, and even on the racetrack, if I disable the TC, the car is sideways half the time. Lots of money to just add noise, IMHO, but its your money.
For me, the cost for the noise is worth every penny.
The following 2 users liked this post by lakemg:
c6txvette (01-24-2020), C7 GrandSport (08-19-2022)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:00 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DTOM
Great info. Why do we need to change oil on dry sumps? What heat sleeves do you use? What are your thoughts on Jet Hot coating headers?
The lines from the engine to the reservoir need to be removed to install the passenger side. If your oil isn't due for a change in a while, you can do what I did and capture it in a clean container and reuse it.
C7 GrandSport (08-19-2022)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
Better fitment in my book I know this was from my c5 set up. But bought a new set of KOOKS from them on a set of 2 inch headers. I made it a point to ask if these were the new version & not the old version. I was told these are the NEW that will not burn out r a hole into the A/C line. Well they did I even called them back & told them it was about what ever close to the A/C sent them a pic of it with the box part #.

Well in 3 days it burn a hole into my A/C line called the guy I got them from at KOOKS after 2 days of talking he told me he was sorry but he wouldn't do nothing about it. I pulled them sold them got the ARH 2 inch headers they went on much better & wasn't as close to the A/C line cost me 125.00 to fix the A/C line plus what I lost on the sell of the headers. Robert
Thanks for the info. I'm running Kook 1 7/8" and the fit and finish was perfect. Bummer to hear that your 2" set didn't go too well.

Did the sound change much going from Kooks to ARH?

Last edited by lakemg; 01-12-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need info on headers before buying-C7

Old 01-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Do some research on the ARH mIdlengths vs longtubes. They do not give up much power, maybe 10HP at peak. The consensus is 15rwhp for mids and 25rwhp for longs. However, only the ARH mids will bolt up to your Corsa X pipe. Longtubes will require changing your X Xpipe too. But it should bolt up to your NPP exhaust, both factory or aftermarket.
BearZ06 (02-19-2020)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lakemg
Thanks for the info. I'm running Kook 1 7/8" and the fit and finish was perfect. Bummer to hear that your 2" set didn't go too well.

Did the sound change much going from Kooks to ARH?
Not really if any at all the kooks headers was made good from looking at them. It was just the problem I had and me going over it with the guy & buying them new from them & then not standing behind what I was told.. But the ARH was a better fit on the car getting them things in the car with the motor still being in the car. On the KOOKS I had to remove even the steering from the firewall to get them in the car. The ARH I didnt but had to remove the starter for both. Robert
lakemg (01-13-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DTOM
The dry-sump oil lines are in the way of removing the OEM exhaust, so it is common practice to go ahead and perform an oil change at the same time since you'll lose some oil during the process. As for the sleeves, we have our own "Vengeance Racing" heat sleeves listed in the link below that work very well on all of our cars here.
https://vengeanceracing.net/2014-tru...-set-of-8.html

For Jet-Hot, we use them quite often and really comes as more of a preference or based on usage of the car for the customer. The C7's aren't quite as bad about transferring the heat into the tunnel area as the older C5/C6 cars were, but any time that we start to see more aggressive exhaust temps (supercharged cars, road racers, autocrossers, etc.) we start to recommend coating the headers. It definitely won't hurt either way and we have had much better luck with Jet-Hot than any other coating companies we've been able to use.

Quick Reply: Need info on headers before buying-C7