C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingray vs Z06/GS front fender dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Stingray vs Z06/GS front fender dimensions

Alright. I now have Z06 suspension on my z51 and am wondering if I would rub the top of the fender with wider front tires. This is mostly for research because if I go wider I'd go 1" size smaller diameter tire also.

With that being said, I know the fender is shaped differently on top and rear but can someone do some measurements for me to see if the wheel well contour is different? Like is the cutout taller? Can someone measure like me below:

1) ride height front floor to wheel well 26.0"
1) ride height from floor to jacking point (might need a small tape measure for this) 4.50"

This means jacking point to wheel well is 21.5". If a Z06 yields bigger numbers then voila.

(This is fully lowered on Z06 springs front and about 1/4 up on rear)

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-09-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

With stock ride height settings the Z06 will ride higher than the Stingray. Here is the info from the FSM:

The P Height is the distance from the ground to the top of the arch of the front fender and the R height is for the rear quarter arch. I didn't think there were any real dimensional differences between the wide body front fender and the narrow body front fender. The tire diameters of the base model cars are within a schosh of being the same as the tire diameters of the wide body cars. The wide body cars have 1 inch wider wheels which are offset to push the extra width to the outside. I thought that extra width is why they put the Spat on the front fenders of the wide body cars, otherwise whey install it? I suspect the difference in stock ride height comes from the differences in spring rates and how much the springs deflect along with a factor for wheel travel when pushing hard into a bump or corner. The Z06 weighs more in the front and even with heavier duty springs probably needs a little more wheel travel to keep from bottoming out the suspension.

Bill
Old 01-10-2019, 06:24 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
With stock ride height settings the Z06 will ride higher than the Stingray. Here is the info from the FSM:

The P Height is the distance from the ground to the top of the arch of the front fender and the R height is for the rear quarter arch. I didn't think there were any real dimensional differences between the wide body front fender and the narrow body front fender. The tire diameters of the base model cars are within a schosh of being the same as the tire diameters of the wide body cars. The wide body cars have 1 inch wider wheels which are offset to push the extra width to the outside. I thought that extra width is why they put the Spat on the front fenders of the wide body cars, otherwise whey install it? I suspect the difference in stock ride height comes from the differences in spring rates and how much the springs deflect along with a factor for wheel travel when pushing hard into a bump or corner. The Z06 weighs more in the front and even with heavier duty springs probably needs a little more wheel travel to keep from bottoming out the suspension.

Bill
thanks Bill. Aware of the 1/4" different height "setpoints". The fenders are shaped differently at least on the outside. Not sure inside. Also although at first sight it's not a different size wheel house, I was just wondering if the cut of the fender was deeper. I know the spats aren't a direct fit for a stingray.
​​​​​
Also, the front Z06 springs have slightly smaller pads. But that shouldn't matter much.

Do c7 tires not travel inside the fender during high G corners? Do they stop short of the fender outer top edge? Since the spats do nothing for increasing wheel well space.

This is my z51 with high G corner before swapping to Z06 springs:

Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Also keep in mind, we measure the FE6/7 cars from the wheel spats, while the base/Z51 cars get measured from the fender itself. Considering the fenders seem to have different designs, it's a bit misleading to compare the heights from that table alone. In other words, our measurement points are different (different design fenders), and I'm not sure if they are the same distance from the bottom of the car on both designs. As such, we should refrain from using this table to compare height differences, using P and R. I suppose the other measurements (like D, etc. from the service manual) would be more reliable.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by X25
Also keep in mind, we measure the FE6/7 cars from the wheel spats, while the base/Z51 cars get measured from the fender itself. Considering the fenders seem to have different designs, it's a bit misleading to compare the heights from that table alone. In other words, our measurement points are different (different design fenders), and I'm not sure if they are the same distance from the bottom of the car on both designs. As such, we should refrain from using this table to compare height differences, using P and R. I suppose the other measurements (like D, etc. from the service manual) would be more reliable.
That's my point! I want us to figure out the differences. That's why I included floor to jacking point height as that is an identical frame point on all c7s. And if you hold the tape measure infront of the spat, you can get a pretty good estimate of the fender itself.

I believe that would be the most reliable method. You just need a smaller tape measure to do it.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Alright. I was able to check my friends car and the results were VERY SURPRISING. In short the top of Z06 fender opening is 1 1/4" taller than the z51. That's a huge difference.

Top of Z06 fender: 27 7/8"
Frame: 3 5/8 + tape measure size
Difference = height of fender opening = 24 1/4"
​​​​​​
re measured my car at the same time:
top of z51 fender: 26 5/8
Z51 frame : 3 5/8 + tape measure
Difference = 23"

So the Z06 fender is 1 1/4" taller opening for fitting the wider tire.
​​​​​​

Now granted. Same frame height. Here is how the Z06 wheels and 295 super sports look on the z51. I pushed down the fender hard and it hit. So in order to run wide tires on the z51 , even with Z06 springs need to raise it about 1" taller than a z06 to match the gap on the top of the fender. Or raise maybe 1/2" and run 1 size smaller tires (what I'll end up doing)

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-26-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 PM
JT Corvette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow! thats honestly hard to believe!
Isnt the z06 fender also wider?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:01 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JT Corvette
Wow! thats honestly hard to believe!
Isnt the z06 fender also wider?
No. It's just shaped differently. Now that we know this, the easiest way to picture it is: grab a stingray fender and pull the wheel well up, stretching it up 1 inch. That's the natural shape it would take.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-28-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:49 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

It seems they added the spats to close the fender gap. Pretty lame.

Another interesting comparison is Z06 to ZR1.
The following users liked this post:
daleong (01-29-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djnice
It seems they added the spats to close the fender gap. Pretty lame.

Another interesting comparison is Z06 to ZR1.
no. the spats were added to widen the fender or provide rock guards. they do close the gap by 1/2" but you could have just lowered the car by that amount. With no spats you get this:

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-18-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:49 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Bruno you may be right, but that photo is not a Z06 fender. I would like to see that angle with stock Z06 wheels and fender with the spat taken off.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:18 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djnice
Bruno you may be right, but that photo is not a Z06 fender. I would like to see that angle with stock Z06 wheels and fender with the spat taken off.
The Z06 and stingray fenders are the same width.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Danengraham
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you measure the diameter of the Width of the wheel opening near the center line? I would have to think its larger all the way around vs just being a taller opening at the very top. It would have an egg/oblong shape too it if it did. I guess it may not be noticeable??. I wonder if this taller opening on the Z, is so the wider tires don't contact the top of the fender under hard cornering/bumps.

Didn't realize it was just the shape of the fender that is different, they really do look like they are wider because of it.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Danengraham
Did you measure the diameter of the Width of the wheel opening near the center line?
no I did not. But since a stingray rocker just barely doesn't fit a z06 front fender (or vice versa) and the front bumper is the same. I'm sure it's no different horizontally.

I would have to think its larger all the way around vs just being a taller opening at the very top. It would have an egg/oblong shape too it if it did. I guess it may not be noticeable??.

1" difference over 30 inches is hard to notice.

I wonder if this taller opening on the Z, is so the wider tires don't contact the top of the fender under hard cornering/bumps.

100% why. Since the tires don't tuck into the fender at all.

Didn't realize it was just the shape of the fender that is different, they really do look like they are wider because of it.
See above.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-19-2019 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Danengraham (02-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray vs Z06/GS front fender dimensions

Quick Reply: Stingray vs Z06/GS front fender dimensions