Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Thermodynamics buffs - Ceramic coating an Alu intake manifold?

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermodynamics buffs - Ceramic coating an Alu intake manifold?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 AM
jimxms
CF Senior Member

Default Thermodynamics buffs - Ceramic coating an Alu intake manifold?

I've just taken delivery of my G1Pro Alu intake and I'm trying to work out what is the best way to reduce heat soak. Admittedly I don't know much about ceramic coating, but it obviously works well at keeping heat locked inside exhaust headers when they are coated.

My question is, should I get the entire intake coated both inside and out, should I just get the outside done, or should I just have the surface that mates with the engine block coated?

I imagine most of the heat will be transferring directly from the contact that the intake runners have with the engine block, so putting a thermal barrier on this surface is a must. However, I'm unsure whether coating the inside and outside of the intake will be beneficial?

Thoughts?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 AM
davepl
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,411 Times in 942 Posts

Given the amount of interaction between the surface walls and the mass of airflow is pretty small, and there's no coolant in the intake, I can't see it as a huge win. If you put the car under load until IATs max and then drop to no-load, what are your IATs like then? That'll give you a sense of what your IATs are like from heat soak only when not compressing air.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 PM
jimxms
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Given the amount of interaction between the surface walls and the mass of airflow is pretty small, and there's no coolant in the intake, I can't see it as a huge win. If you put the car under load until IATs max and then drop to no-load, what are your IATs like then? That'll give you a sense of what your IATs are like from heat soak only when not compressing air.
Ill have to give that a try. Are you thinking then that there will be very little benefit to any level of ceramic coating on the intake? I still need to ‘beautify’ it, but if I can go with powder coating instead then that’ll be a major cost saving.

FWIW I am also running meth, so AIT’s are being somewhat handled in that way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermodynamics buffs - Ceramic coating an Alu intake manifold?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: