C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 w/stock fuel system problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Viking0728
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default E85 w/stock fuel system problems

I bought a used 2016 Z06 that has:
*LMR Heat Exchanger Kit w/2.5 Gallon Tank
*Weapon X Ported TB
*Weapon X “Griptec” Upper Pulley
*DSX Flex Fuel Kit
*AEM Wideband
*Corsa Long Tube Headers extreme exhaust
*AFE Intake

The car runs perfectly under normal driving... I took it out to the drag strip twice. The first time with a full tank of e85 and made it about 3/4 of the way before getting the Reduced Engine Power and check engine light. Codes were fuel rail pressure
The second time I went out with half e85 half 93 octane (since I still had half a tank of e85). Same issue, 3/4 of the way, Reduced Engine Power and check engine.

I thought there was maybe something wrong with the tune, but after reading through the forum it seems like my fuel system can't keep up. So, how much of a fuel system "boost" do I need to make the mods I have work? I've seen everything from $300 for a ZR1 pump to multiple thousands for an improved fuel system. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Viking0728; 01-28-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:58 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Viking0728
*Weapon X Ported TB
*Flex Fuel Kit
*AEM Wideband
*AFE Intake

The car runs perfectly under normal driving... I took it out to the drag strip twice. The first time with a full tank of e85 and made it about 3/4 of the way before getting the Reduced Engine Power and check engine light. Codes were fuel rail pressure
The second time I went out with half e85 half 93 octane (since I still had half a tank of e85). Same issue, 3/4 of the way, Reduced Engine Power and check engine.

I thought there was maybe something wrong with the tune, but after reading through the forum it seems like my fuel system can't keep up. So, how much of a fuel system "boost" do I need to make the mods I have work? I've seen everything from $300 for a ZR1 pump to multiple thousands for an improved fuel system. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
You’ll need an auxiliary fuel system to do it. Low side pump and port injection will guarantee that you can run full E at any power level really..
Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Viking0728
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYREANT

You’ll need an auxiliary fuel system to do it. Low side pump and port injection will guarantee that you can run full E at any power level really..
I'm not looking to get more power, at least not that I can imagine. I just want to get what I have working for an occasional trip to the drag strip and track days. I'm also trying to not have my wife lose her mind when I tell her how much more I need to spend...

Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

it's a flex fuel sensor, so you don't have to run a high blend. I've read in many threads on here that you'll get 90% of the gains from the tune and sensor with E35-E40. Fuel system should have enough to push that. Others with more knowledge can chime in, or you can just search "E85" in the Z06 forum.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:04 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

I would guess the tune could be modified to be a little more forgiving on when to trigger the reduced power mode, but i would start with a low side aux fuel system. I have run 2 brands of these kits (on separate cars) and at your power levels would suggest the new DSX kit. It's $1,000 but install is a breeze. Replacing the in tank pump may sound cheaper but wait to you see what the install cost will be!

The DSX kit is literally plug and play (minus drilling a relatively small hole into the gas tank), all the wiring and tapping into the fuel line just plug into place

DSX kit: https://dsxtuning.com/collections/aux-fuel-filters/products/auxiliary-fuel-pump-kit-for-2014-corvette

Last edited by 555ctsv; 01-27-2019 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DSX Tuning (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

With the DSX, or any others that tap the tank, do you have to maintain a certain fuel level to not starve the pickup?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

*Weapon X Ported TB
*Flex Fuel Kit
*AEM Wideband
*AFE Intake

Thanks in advance
did you buy the car directly from the original owner?
Old 01-27-2019, 11:38 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I had the flex fuel sensor installed and now only run E85. Never had a problem and it adds great power. But seriously shitty mpg.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 AM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
With the DSX, or any others that tap the tank, do you have to maintain a certain fuel level to not starve the pickup?
Not really, although if the low tank light is on... it may have trouble. I doubt anyone makes WOT pulls on fumes though.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Viking0728
Drifting

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
did you buy the car directly from the original owner?
Yes, and he provided the invoice of the work done from the performance shop that installed everything. I just texted him and confirmed that no fuel system modifications were added. I ordered the DSX auxiliary fuel pump kit and will be installing that prior to getting a new tune.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Viking0728
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
I had the flex fuel sensor installed and now only run E85. Never had a problem and it adds great power. But seriously shitty mpg.
Have you tried it on the drag strip? I hit 97 mph in the 1/8 and then coasted across the finish at 107 mph /12 seconds with the REP warning message. Normal driving is perfect, but WOT sustained seems to be the problem.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:20 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
The tap is at a really low and back part of the tank so I've never had an issue but i do try to keep the level above 1/4 tank before having any crazy fun
Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Have you tried it on the drag strip? I hit 97 mph in the 1/8 and then coasted across the finish at 107 mph /12 seconds with the REP warning message. Normal driving is perfect, but WOT sustained seems to be the problem.
Haven't hit the drag strip but hit 120 on the back roads here a couple of times. No issues.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:45 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

*Weapon X Ported TB
*DSX Flex Fuel Kit
*AEM Wideband
*AFE Intake

Thanks in advance
In our opinion and all of the experience we have had with these vehicles even on a no mod application the stock fuel system struggles to supply enough fuel for any sort of full throttle scenarios we know there are some shops out there who would go against this and say it is possible but we always like to make sure the builds we do for our customers keep their cars on the roads without having any major issues. In ANY application we have done here with E85 on these vehicles they have been done with an auxiliary fuel system such as methanol to help supplement enough fueling for the vehicle to actually safely make power. Check out this twin turbo build we did a little while back making over 1000rwhp!

The following users liked this post:
Viking0728 (01-30-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
In our opinion and all of the experience we have had with these vehicles even on a no mod application the stock fuel system struggles to supply enough fuel for any sort of full throttle scenarios we know there are some shops out there who would go against this and say it is possible but we always like to make sure the builds we do for our customers keep their cars on the roads without having any major issues. In ANY application we have done here with E85 on these vehicles they have been done with an auxiliary fuel system such as methanol to help supplement enough fueling for the vehicle to actually safely make power. Check out this twin turbo build we did a little while back making over 1000rwhp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUdvpgHv3zU
Is your dyno tech in witpro?? Why is he(she?) all blurred out??
Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Yeah...why is that?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Is your dyno tech in witpro?? Why is he(she?) all blurred out??
Typically speaking the calibrators do not like to be on camera that much as their personal preference

Get notified of new replies

To E85 w/stock fuel system problems

Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Dyno guys carry their reputations with them as they move around in the business, I'm sure. A big part of a shop being selected for work is based on their dyno guys' rep. I'm sure blurring yourself out helps protect that to some extent.

Last edited by spinkick; 02-06-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

"... calibrators do not like to be on camera..." Pride in their work? So much for advertising.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you log your runs at the track with HP Tuners or any software? Seems that should be your first step so that you can see exactly what is happening.

if It were me, I would for certain be getting logs before doing any hard driving or track runs.

Quick Reply: E85 w/stock fuel system problems