C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cold Air for C7

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Yep that's it , I need to try and find the post , I forget what the title was ...but he had back to back dyno sheets showing the gains

Dave ,
Old 02-14-2019, 08:23 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Yep that's it , I need to try and find the post , I forget what the title was ...but he had back to back dyno sheets showing the gains

Dave ,
Holy crap that's a big hole. I have no idea how I hadn't realized that before. Ive had that piece off a few times. I'll stick my thermocouple in there with and without the plastic and see if it makes a difference on a stock airbox.

If one really wanted to, you could easily double or triple the size of the hole and tada, a homemade vararam intake. The stock filter position is also not directly below the hole so it wouldn't get wet.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Yep that's exactly my reaction when I took the plastic off and saw the hole I am still trying to figure out why it's there and why they designed a peice of plastic to cover it ...

Dave
Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 PM
JT Corvette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

maybe im missing something, but i dont see how this is going to get any airflow....the hood sits on top of it
Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JT Corvette
maybe im missing something, but i dont see how this is going to get any airflow....the hood sits on top of it
As it does with a Vararam but airflow tests prove that it does work ......

Dave
Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Johnsz51
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Humm so pop that out and get a BMS filter maybe work as good? But the tube still has the silencers and it won't have the sound I am sure a Vararam will. Mostly what I am after. I changed just the intake tub on my GMC Denali and it sounds mean-not even a different filter. Amazing how them tubs makes things quite.

Last edited by Johnsz51; 02-15-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Yep , just an FYI thos are not so much silencers , they are Hemholtz resonators , these are to smooth the flow out for a better maf reading , the LS3 had a similar setup

Dave
Old 02-15-2019, 03:26 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JT Corvette
Okay. Imagine the car driving. There's a ton of air hitting the hood. Air is hitting hood at maybe 20 degrees relative to the hood right? Where the roof is 0 degrees). Some of this air is pushing down on the hood, while most goes back to the windshield. The air is tying to go wherever it can, so it will fill cracks, voids, any hole it finds. This includes the gap between the hood and the fender. Once the air makes it in the gap, it's gotta go somewhere, usually back towards the windshield ya? But what If you got something sucking it in, like the intake, that air is going to go in that hole.

A similar thing happened to me when I had an open intake filter to the engine bay, I removed the radiator - to - hood scoop and when I floored the throttle, the intake actually started pulling air through the hood vent when naturally air goes out of it.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:27 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Yep that's exactly my reaction when I took the plastic off and saw the hole I am still trying to figure out why it's there and why they designed a peice of plastic to cover it ...

Dave
Looks like access to the headlight plug so you can pull the headlight out.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Holy crap that's a big hole. I have no idea how I hadn't realized that before. Ive had that piece off a few times. I'll stick my thermocouple in there with and without the plastic and see if it makes a difference on a stock airbox.

If one really wanted to, you could easily double or triple the size of the hole and tada, a homemade vararam intake. The stock filter position is also not directly below the hole so it wouldn't get wet.
So kind of early to tell. But I did seem to decrease my peak IAT on track by 10 degrees from 50 above ambient to 40 above ambient when coolant temps are about 240 °F. Putting graphs together. Notice there is another big hole by the front bumper that is now uncovered also.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-24-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
So kind of early to tell. But I did seem to decrease my peak IAT on track by 10 degrees from 50 above ambient to 40 above ambient when coolant temps are about 240 °F. Putting graphs together. Notice there is another big hole by the front bumper that is now uncovered also.
Awesome Bruno .... keep us posted on your findings .

Dave

Quick Reply: Best Cold Air for C7