C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay rear fins. paint fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:27 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Default eBay rear fins. paint fail

I bought the eBay rear defuser fins trying to save some money and to simply do it myself. I bought a set of 12 ounce Flash Metallic paint and clear coat combo. I sanded the shinny ABS plastic fins with 100, 400, 800, then 2000 sandpaper. Make a long story short, after another set of paints, 24 ounces, my project looks like crap. Absolute crap. What is it with modern rattle can paint? I can’t get the finish smooth. I’m painting in the sun at about 72 degrees. I give up and will take them to my body shop to paint for me. In the end, it may cost more that the ACS painted parts at close to $400. Has anyone else tried to paint these fins with rattle cans?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:58 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Every post/article I read that uses rattle can paint seems to be in a different dimension when it comes to how the finished product looks. In my experience rattle can paint is excellent to make something a different color. If you want it to look good closeup rattle can paint isn't the right product.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I have had excellent results with the Krylon brand paint that contains paint and primer together, but my use has been limited to hobby projects.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:31 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
I have had excellent results with the Krylon brand paint that contains paint and primer together, but my use has been limited to hobby projects.
I’ve painted things with rattle cans since I was 11 years old. I’m 62 now. I’ve been successful for years with this kind of thing. Either paint has changed or I’m too old! Lol. I won’t mount anything that isn’t perfect on my 19 Grand Sport. Oh well. I’ll have them painted professionally. Of course, I didn’t mention that I have a body shop as my tenant. I just have always done this kind of thing myself. Oh well. Is what it is.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:32 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you sand with 2000 grit before or after painting?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:41 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

600-800 before paint,,and did you wipe the plastic down with laquer thinner,brake cleaner,acetone,,a couple of times?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:16 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Did you use any plastic adhesion promoter or some kind of plastic primer? I would have guessed sanding would be enough but maybe not.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:41 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
600-800 before paint,,and did you wipe the plastic down with laquer thinner,brake cleaner,acetone,,a couple of times?
I did wipe it down before painting. Only once though.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMII
Did you use any plastic adhesion promoter or some kind of plastic primer? I would have guessed sanding would be enough but maybe not.
I didn’t prime. Maybe that was my problem. I used the 2000 grit before I painted. Then I used the 2000 to lightly sand the clear coat. Then I used a light compound to polish. Just didn’t turn out well. Again, looks like crap!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

2000 grit is way to smooth for the paint to stick to. You need to be in the 400-600 range. 2000 is for after clear coat
Old 02-10-2019, 01:58 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree. 2000 is for prepping clear coats for polishing. Even for that task it's too fine if the goal is to smooth out orange peel; it's mainly for knocking out lint. 1000 is fine enough--take the 1000 and roll it on itself- don't fold a crease into it, but *very* lightly roll it over against itself and rub it together to knock out the sharpest abrasives.

Now for prep, 600 is as fine as I'd allow. I'd recommend a new sheet of 400. Your problem could be the ambient temperature, the distance from the surface at which you held the can, and the speed you moved your hand as you sprayed. If you want a lot of "shine", the paint has to be smooth. There's two ways to accomplish that--clear coat the hell out of project and then sand it smooth so's you can polish it, or paint it in cooler weather with experience on the paint's flash time...

Paints in rattle cans can't be chemically "controlled" by the buyer. Whatever the manufacturer injected into the can is what you have to work with. "Paint" is essentially made up of two parts (for this discussion)-- the color, and its' "solvent"--the chemical that allows it to remain liquid in order for the air supply to spray it. Professional painters gear their choice of "solvent" according to the ambient temperature. I might be a little behind the times because I painted professionally 30 years ago, but the process hasn't changed, though the nomenclature and chemicals might have.

If we want a smoother color, we have to allow the solvent dry slowly, which allows the paint to flow out on the surface. The faster it dries, the less time the paint has to lay out smoothly. (think of pouring water onto a large metal panel at 60*--it runs everywhere; now think of the metal panel at 28* because the ambient air is 28*--the water won't "lay out" and "flow", it'll freeze almost on contact--like paint on a hot day (72*) applied to a 72* panel. You can vary the drying time by the distance you spray from your painted surface-- AND by the speed with which you spray. The farther away you are, the more orange peel you "freeze" into the surface because the solvents are evaporating between the can and the surface as you spray. You can see different results if you move closer, thereby increasing the amount of paint and solvent applied over the same area--that closeness allows more solvents to remain "in solution" as the paint contacts the panel. Alternatively, the slower you go (even at the same distance), the more paint/solvent is applied over the given area, allowing for the mass of solvent to evaporate slower which allows the color to lay out smoother.

72* could well be too warm for the can's solvent. 50-59* is probably too cold (it all depends on the OEM solvent in the can); the moisture in the air would cause a phenomenon called "blushing"--as if you clear-coated a breath-frosted windshield on a cold day. However, 60-65* should be cool enough to let the can's solvent stay "in solution" long enough to let the paint lay down.

As you can see, there's no "one-choice" answer to your problem--your poor results (no insult intended) were probably a combination of several factors--distance you shot the paint from the surface, how fast or slowly you moved as you sprayed, and the temperature. If I was to shoot in 72* weather, I'd be close to the work moving at a medium speed--not an easy concept (in my mind, to establish "medium" speed) considering I don't know what solvent is in the can. It'd have to be trial and error. Find you a piece of plastic to practice on--something large enough to force you to pay attention to your distance and speed of movement. The side of a plastic 5-gallon drum (square is better for practicing for a novice [no offense intended]--a round can requires much more practice to maintain a constant distance as you move around the can) or a Rubbermaid garbage can, etc. Sand whatever you choose with 400 grit (wet) until the surface is smooth and practice on it. When you know how slowly you have to move combined with your can's distance from the surface in order to obtain a glossly, smoothly painted surface (after it's dried), then you can go back and spray can your project. Otherwise, it's all guess work. You'd be paying a pro for his knowledge of distance, speed of movement, and chemical reaction to temperature. He'll probably use a catalyzed paint though, and the catalyst ("epoxy" reactor that hardens the paint [to the point we call "dry]) will be his choice according to temp. You can accomplish the same thing for very small parts that aren't that visible for a lot less with some patience and maybe the cost of 2-3 rattle cans at most.

I forgot to add--I'm not sure you can spray enough clear coat on to sand it down to smooth--rattle can paints are so thin. There's nothing to lose by trying, and since you've gotten to the clear coat stage this would probably be the shortest alternative, but I'd load the HELL out of the clear coat--15-20 coats so you could sand it with 1000 wet. If it was out of a regular spray gun, 2-3 coats would be the norm.

Last edited by dork; 02-10-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by dork
I agree. 2000 is for prepping clear coats for polishing. Even for that task it's too fine if the goal is to smooth out orange peel; it's mainly for knocking out lint. 1000 is fine enough--take the 1000 and roll it on itself- don't fold a crease into it, but *very* lightly roll it over against itself and rub it together to knock out the sharpest abrasives.

Now for prep, 600 is as fine as I'd allow. I'd recommend a new sheet of 400. Your problem could be the ambient temperature, the distance from the surface at which you held the can, and the speed you moved your hand as you sprayed. If you want a lot of "shine", the paint has to be smooth. There's two ways to accomplish that--clear coat the hell out of project and then sand it smooth so's you can polish it, or paint it in cooler weather with experience on the paint's flash time...

Paints in rattle cans can't be chemically "controlled" by the buyer. Whatever the manufacturer injected into the can is what you have to work with. "Paint" is essentially made up of two parts (for this discussion)-- the color, and its' "solvent"--the chemical that allows it to remain liquid in order for the air supply to spray it. Professional painters gear their choice of "solvent" according to the ambient temperature. I might be a little behind the times because I painted professionally 30 years ago, but the process hasn't changed, though the nomenclature and chemicals might have.

If we want a smoother color, we have to allow the solvent dry slowly, which allows the paint to flow out on the surface. The faster it dries, the less time the paint has to lay out smoothly. (think of pouring water onto a large metal panel at 60*--it runs everywhere; now think of the metal panel at 28* because the ambient air is 28*--the water won't "lay out" and "flow", it'll freeze almost on contact--like paint on a hot day (72*) applied to a 72* panel. You can vary the drying time by the distance you spray from your painted surface-- AND by the speed with which you spray. The farther away you are, the more orange peel you "freeze" into the surface because the solvents are evaporating between the can and the surface as you spray. You can see different results if you move closer, thereby increasing the amount of paint and solvent applied over the same area--that closeness allows more solvents to remain "in solution" as the paint contacts the panel. Alternatively, the slower you go (even at the same distance), the more paint/solvent is applied over the given area, allowing for the mass of solvent to evaporate slower which allows the color to lay out smoother.

72* could well be too warm for the can's solvent. 50-59* is probably too cold (it all depends on the OEM solvent in the can); the moisture in the air would cause a phenomenon called "blushing"--as if you clear-coated a breath-frosted windshield on a cold day. However, 60-65* should be cool enough to let the can's solvent stay "in solution" long enough to let the paint lay down.

As you can see, there's no "one-choice" answer to your problem--your poor results (no insult intended) were probably a combination of several factors--distance you shot the paint from the surface, how fast or slowly you moved as you sprayed, and the temperature. If I was to shoot in 72* weather, I'd be close to the work moving at a medium speed--not an easy concept (in my mind, to establish "medium" speed) considering I don't know what solvent is in the can. It'd have to be trial and error. Find you a piece of plastic to practice on--something large enough to force you to pay attention to your distance and speed of movement. The side of a plastic 5-gallon drum (square is better for practicing for a novice [no offense intended]--a round can requires much more practice to maintain a constant distance as you move around the can) or a Rubbermaid garbage can, etc. Sand whatever you choose with 400 grit (wet) until the surface is smooth and practice on it. When you know how slowly you have to move combined with your can's distance from the surface in order to obtain a glossly, smoothly painted surface (after it's dried), then you can go back and spray can your project. Otherwise, it's all guess work. You'd be paying a pro for his knowledge of distance, speed of movement, and chemical reaction to temperature. He'll probably use a catalyzed paint though, and the catalyst ("epoxy" reactor that hardens the paint [to the point we call "dry]) will be his choice according to temp. You can accomplish the same thing for very small parts that aren't that visible for a lot less with some patience and maybe the cost of 2-3 rattle cans at most.

I forgot to add--I'm not sure you can spray enough clear coat on to sand it down to smooth--rattle can paints are so thin. There's nothing to lose by trying, and since you've gotten to the clear coat stage this would probably be the shortest alternative, but I'd load the HELL out of the clear coat--15-20 coats so you could sand it with 1000 wet. If it was out of a regular spray gun, 2-3 coats would be the norm.
Huge info. Thank you and no offense taken. I started this thread because of the terrible job I did. Lol. On one of my attempts, the clear coat wrinkled up on the entire part. It was terrible. So, 2000 grit is for clear coat dust and lint removal. Got it. I gave up recently on another project and had the two parts powder coated. I never got close to a successful layer of spray paint. I think I’m just getting old.

But, you sure pointed out a number of possible reasons I failed on the fins. Thanks for that. I’ll take them in and have them professionally painted. Ya can’t mount crap on a new 75k car! Needs to be perfect. Thanks again....
Old 02-10-2019, 01:04 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
... On one of my attempts, the clear coat wrinkled up on the entire part. ...
My best guess is you loaded up the clear without allowing each spray pass to tack. [Ummm... each single coat should have been given enough time to dry enough to get "tack"y to the touch. The way you touch paint to see if it's drying without leaving fingerprints in "wet" paint is to lightly touch it with the back of your finger (sneak up on it slowly as if you only wanted to touch it with the hairs of the finger). The back of the hand is much more sensitive than the front because the skin is softer from lack of use.] Wrinkling is caused by bad chemical interaction between paints and/or clears or overloading. In this case, it was probably overloading. What happened is, the top coat skins over (dries first) because it's in contact with the air. Even though the other wet coats were sprayed singly, they have time (because they're insulated from the air by the top coat) to flow well. But as the clear dries from the outside in, instead of inside out, the flowing "mass" is "moving" (drying at a different rate--much slower than the last coat) which causes the top to contract and expand. Wrinkles.

Originally Posted by vetten76
I never got close to a successful layer of spray paint. I think I’m just getting old. ... Thanks again....
Nope. Just no experience or knowledge. ANY rattle can will need a spare for practice, especially for an application like "professional results" for vehicles--these surfaces are so smooth to start with, there's less room for error. It can be done, it just takes practice. You're welcome!
The following users liked this post:
vetten76 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:35 PM
krwunlv
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

If you used a standard over the counter rattle can clear, this is the majority of the issue. They do not have a hardener in them and are left to cure in environmental conditions which obviously fluctuate all the time. In the future, try the 2 part clear (2K) I have always had luck with it. Once you puncture the inner chamber for the hardener to mix, you only have a limited time to use it. Best I have gotten was 1 day before the can was useless but the results were great. Use a mask.... trust me.

2K Clear
Amazon Amazon

How To Vid
Old 02-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

I don't know what your are doing with your paint, but I can say that you are sanding way too finely for good paint adhesion! Stop at 400 or 600--at the very finest. I'd have to watch you painting to see what else is at issue. All the best.

Last edited by Avanti; 02-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To eBay rear fins. paint fail

Quick Reply: eBay rear fins. paint fail