C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any need for the brake booster to be connected to the manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Is there any need for the brake booster to be connected to the manifold?

As far as I can see, the C7 has a very good electric vacuum pump. The same pump used by EV's and Diesel vehicles that have little/no engine vacuum available. I'm also running a big cam, so I probably don't have much engine vacuum either.

Therefore, is there any reason why the brake booster needs to be connected to the intake manifold?

The reason I ask is that I'd ideally like to use the port on the back of my intake manifold for my IAT sensor (rather than right after the throttle body) for a more accurate air temp reading when spraying meth.

Last edited by jimxms; 02-13-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

Carefully, try and see.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:48 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms
As far as I can see, the C7 has a very good electric vacuum pump. The same pump used by EV's and Diesel vehicles that have little/no engine vacuum available. I'm also running a big cam, so I probably don't have much engine vacuum either.

Therefore, is there any reason why the brake booster needs to be connected to the intake manifold?

The reason I ask is that I'd ideally like to use the port on the back of my intake manifold for my IAT sensor (rather than right after the throttle body) for a more accurate air temp reading when spraying meth.
Can you tee off that port? Since you're only going to use it for a sensor?
Old 02-16-2019, 11:52 AM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Can you tee off that port? Since you're only going to use it for a sensor?
Sadly not as it was the air temp sensor and it needs to be right in the flow I think.

I aborted the idea anyway and just drilled a hole in the bottom
of the intake.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If it wasn't needed I doubt GM would have used it. It costs money for auto companies to do something and if they don't have to do it they don't spend that money. Basic rule of thumb to apply is if it cost them something to install they did it for a reason. If it looks like there isn't a reason for something rethink what you are doing since they don't do stuff they don't have to do.

Bill
Old 02-17-2019, 02:44 AM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If it wasn't needed I doubt GM would have used it. It costs money for auto companies to do something and if they don't have to do it they don't spend that money. Basic rule of thumb to apply is if it cost them something to install they did it for a reason. If it looks like there isn't a reason for something rethink what you are doing since they don't do stuff they don't have to do.

Bill
Its not the vac pump I’m questioning, it’s the link between the manifold and the brake booster. I assume that’s only there because the engine vacuum is a good back-up if the vac pump fails. However with a very large cam I have hardly any vacuum anyway, so it probably makes that section of pipework redundant. Thats my best guess anyway.

Last edited by jimxms; 02-17-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any need for the brake booster to be connected to the manifold?

Quick Reply: Is there any need for the brake booster to be connected to the manifold?