C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiabLew Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 PM
David Gordon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

After tune test 0-60 mph 4.3 4.4 4.4
Before tune test 4.4 4.1 4.0 4.0

Both before and after were with the Vararam installed.
I am a pretty good judge of HP gains as I have had many sporty cars.
This is my 4th Vette as well as LS1 Ss's, LS1 Trans Ams
And SVT Cobra mustangs and My 2018 GT.
I tossed out all the traction limited runs

You log the car with the Diablo tool , send the original tune and the data log to Lew , he will modify the tune and send it back to you, you load the new tune on to the diablo tool and upload to the car . Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary till you or Lew feels that the tune is perfect
I Think I need to data log it, if I can figure that out.

Last edited by David Gordon; 05-06-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Are you saying your car slowed down with the 93 tune ??

Were the runs done same day back to back ...?

Is your car an A8 , I'd so did u use launch control ...?

Dave
Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Johnsz51
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have always ran email tunes on natural aspirated and wondered as really it never felt much difference but never did test like you did so it Doesn't surprise me. Unless you add headers and need a tune for the light not to show up or your supercharged or running a turbo I don't think there is much power left on the table on a stock car. Some may argue and say they ran 2 tenths faster with their tune but not enough to go through the trouble. Now on my ecoboost truck 1 second off quarter mile times so yes well worth it but again has turbos. The real test would be the quarter mile as it lets everything lock up good and keeps everything on boil a bit longer than that quick 4 sec run. And then you may see a little improvement. Good luck
Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM
David Gordon
Racer

Car is an A-8, Launches before tune were actually more dramatic. Had to abort several due to wheel spin. They were all done within a week of each other. Maybe 1 or 2 a day. A couple with launch control, but did better with out it. Just stage up a bit get it rolling as hard as tires would allow then nail it.
If tune added any HP or TQ it was not much.

Last edited by David Gordon; 05-07-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by David Gordon
Car is an A-8, Launches before tune were actually more dramatic. Had to abort several due to wheel spin. They were all done within a week of each other. Maybe 1 or 2 a day. A couple with launch control, but did better with out it. Just stage up a bit get it rolling as hard as tires would allow then nail it.
If tune added any HP or TQ it was not much.
So when you are making changes it's best to do the testing back to back so you are measuring apples to apples.

When you are measuring changes in the tenths the most important thing to measure is the Density Altitude and the 60 ft times as that will change your results dramatically. I was lucky because the DA was consistantly crappy for me and measured the same on the days that I tested . The 60 foot times with Launch Control engaged showed that I was consistanly launching the same and not losing any times due to changes in grip or launch technique and doing it at the track gave me reliable time data

Measuring over a few weeks and not using launch control could induce variability, the car might register a time that was slower after the tune but then you have to ask what would it have done without the tune .. would it have been even slower..

I think the canned tunes do add power , how much do they add .. maybe 20 HP . Can you feel it , maybe not but all things being equal you will be faster than the guy that is not running a tune

Getting a custom tune from Diablo Lew will get you more HP and it was a seat of the pants gain on my C6 , his tune also makes the car much more responsive and if you add the TCM tune it's even better . I think the biggest part of the gain I got with my C6 was in the reduction of Torque Management . I actually shut it off in my tune . On a C6 TM limits an LS3 to 380 HP in 1st and 2nd , with it off you can really feel the fact that it was off , my 60ft times improved dramatically but the car was a lot more difficult to launch without blowing the tires away ..but when it hooked .... WOW

I have not turned it off or reduced TM in my C7 yet as it's much more complicated but when I get my custom tune for my headers I am going to ask for it to be reduced

Stay tuned ... I just got to get my lazy butt in gear and put the headers on

Dave
The following users liked this post:
06MonteSS (05-23-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Johnsz51
I have always ran email tunes on natural aspirated and wondered as really it never felt much difference but never did test like you did so it Doesn't surprise me. Unless you add headers and need a tune for the light not to show up or your supercharged or running a turbo I don't think there is much power left on the table on a stock car. Some may argue and say they ran 2 tenths faster with their tune but not enough to go through the trouble. Now on my ecoboost truck 1 second off quarter mile times so yes well worth it but again has turbos. The real test would be the quarter mile as it lets everything lock up good and keeps everything on boil a bit longer than that quick 4 sec run. And then you may see a little improvement. Good luck
I agree John , doing a 8th or 1/4 mile run is the way to go
I went from running 12.6 stock 2.0 60 ft times to adding a Vararam and the 93 tune and running 11.8 1.8 60 ft times. And this was all with a crappy 3,500 DA . What I would give for better air lol lol , hopefully my next track outing will have some good DA and grip but it has already gotten hot and humid down here

Dave
Old 05-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Johnsz51
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I agree John , doing a 8th or 1/4 mile run is the way to go
I went from running 12.6 stock 2.0 60 ft times to adding a Vararam and the 93 tune and running 11.8 1.8 60 ft times. And this was all with a crappy 3,500 DA . What I would give for better air lol lol , hopefully my next track outing will have some good DA and grip but it has already gotten hot and humid down here

Dave
On bad air that's differently running well 👍
Old 05-07-2019, 04:18 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
So when you are making changes it's best to do the testing back to back so you are measuring apples to apples.

When you are measuring changes in the tenths the most important thing to measure is the Density Altitude and the 60 ft times as that will change your results dramatically. I was lucky because the DA was consistantly crappy for me and measured the same on the days that I tested . The 60 foot times with Launch Control engaged showed that I was consistanly launching the same and not losing any times due to changes in grip or launch technique and doing it at the track gave me reliable time data

Measuring over a few weeks and not using launch control could induce variability, the car might register a time that was slower after the tune but then you have to ask what would it have done without the tune .. would it have been even slower..

I think the canned tunes do add power , how much do they add .. maybe 20 HP . Can you feel it , maybe not but all things being equal you will be faster than the guy that is not running a tune

Getting a custom tune from Diablo Lew will get you more HP and it was a seat of the pants gain on my C6 , his tune also makes the car much more responsive and if you add the TCM tune it's even better .

Dave
However, David Gordon has a 2018... so his 8-speed tranny can not be tuned.... can only tune the ECM/engine in his car...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-07-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Dcasole (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Yep, normal.. 2017/2018/2019 vehicles require a special unlock sequence... so what will happen is, when you go to install a tune the first time, the tool will give you a message that "one or more controllers can not be tuned - Contacting powertech for vehicle unlock... you will be notified within 1-2 days" - or something similar to that effect.. so then in 1-2 days (usually within an hour though) you should receive an email (if you registered your tool on diablo's site) that your update is ready.. or just run the updater again to update your tool in an hour or so - so then you'd run the Ignition Updater on the tool again, and it will update the tool with the unlock code for your ECM, and then you'd be able to tune the vehicle.
Lew, I have a related question. I bought a Diablo tuner for my 2014, two weeks ago I traded in the 2014 for a 2019GS, but I forgot about the tune and didn’t put it out of the 2014. Will Diablo unlock my tuner so I can put it on the new car, and can you do a custom on the tuner I have?

thanks

Last edited by The Creeper; 05-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:45 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by The Creeper
Lew, I have a related question. I bought a Diablo tuner for my 2014, two weeks ago I traded in the 2014 for a 2019GS, but I forgot about the tune and didn’t put it out of the 2014. Will Diablo unlock my tuner so I can put it on the new car, and can you do a custom on the tuner I have?

thanks
Which programmer do you have?? You need to have the inTune i2 i2030, the inTune i3 8245 Platinum, the Trinity T1000, or the Trinity T2 EX 9245 Platinum programmer to have it work on that 2019 vette.

Sure they will unlock it.. it will cost you $160 to unlock/reset an inTune.... or $180 to unlock/reset a Trinity .... need to contact diablo tech support...

you will also have to purchase the ECM unlock key for 40-50 bucks for that 2019...

yes I can do a tune for it.. as long as you have the inTune i2 i2030 or the inTune i3 8245 Platinum tool, or the Trinity T1000 or Trinity T2 EX 9245 Platinum for that 2019 vette....

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-07-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Dcasole (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:11 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

It’s an intune, I think the i2030. I bought it in 2014. However it seems like it may be worthwhile to just get a new one from you.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:22 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by The Creeper
It’s an intune, I think the i2030. I bought it in 2014. However it seems like it may be worthwhile to just get a new one from you.
Shoot me an email bud... diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 AM
David Gordon
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnsz51
I just had a 2018 Mustang GT, I bought a mail order tune f/ 93 & E-85. Both tunes woke that monster up big time!

Quick Reply: DiabLew Tune