C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre/post track day fluids that need to be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 AM
prosdoc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre/post track day fluids that need to be changed?

I bought my C7 Z06 last season and tracked it once. It has ~6k miles on it. I bought it used so I'm not sure which fluids have been changed and which haven't. In preparation for this years track season (I'll do 4-7 track days), which fluids do you guys recommend replacing? I'm assuming oil, brake, transmission, and rear diff...

I already plan on upgrading the brake fluid with Catrol SRF since the DOT 3 boiled at the last event.
Also ordered Pagid RSC 1 F/R pads
Old 03-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Covered in your OM. If you don't have a 2019 there is one update to the oil situation.

First, the oil. Pre-2019 GM said to change the oil to M1 15W50 for the track and then to change it back to M1 5W30 for the street. However, it turns out this wasn't because the 15W50 oil wasn't good to use on the street but because it has a higher percentage of anti-wear additives that tend to shorten catalytic converter life which could increase GM's emissions warranty (8 years/80K miles) costs if used on a regular basis. The other thing it does if used on the street is increase fuel consumption which if GM authorized its use for the street would mean GM would have to recertify the fuel mileage. Tell the Customer not to use it on the street and they don't have to recertify. This was covered in one of Tadge's answers. He didn't say to use it but what he didn't say was important. He didn't say it would ruin your engine if used on the street.

With 2019 we got a new oil to use. That is Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 which is Dexos2 rated and GM recommends its use on the street and track. That resolves the problem of recommending Customers change oil before and after an event. However, they didn't take away the M1 15W50 or 5W30 oils either. In fact the ZR1 still has to use the 15W50 when on track.

GM recommends changing the diff fluid after the first track event and then every 24 hours of track usage after that initial change. Figure 1.5 hours of track time per track day (Four 20 minute sessions) and that means you can run 16 days before changing it again. It works out to about once per year for me.

Brake fluid. I use Ferodo Racing Brake Fluid which has a 624 degree dry boiling point compared to Castrol SRF's 594 degree dry boiling point. If it is over a month old I change it before going to the track. SRF has a very high wet boiling point (518 degrees) but I don't think it is high enough to mean you shouldn't change the SRF a couple of times per year. Your choice.

GM doesn't make any recommendations on transmission fluid and I have run my car for 3 seasons on the original fluid with no issues.

Watch the Clutch Fluid level. I noticed mine dropped quite a bit (reservoir almost empty) but I couldn't find a leak and after I refilled the reservoir it didn't drop during the rest of the season. I assume the level change was due to clutch wear but the clutch doesn't have any discernible slippage and I don't do many drag race style launches.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
JMII (03-01-2019), JSenek (03-01-2019), JT Corvette (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:18 PM
prosdoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Covered in your OM. If you don't have a 2019 there is one update to the oil situation.

First, the oil. Pre-2019 GM said to change the oil to M1 15W50 for the track and then to change it back to M1 5W30 for the street. However, it turns out this wasn't because the 15W50 oil wasn't good to use on the street but because it has a higher percentage of anti-wear additives that tend to shorten catalytic converter life which could increase GM's emissions warranty (8 years/80K miles) costs if used on a regular basis. The other thing it does if used on the street is increase fuel consumption which if GM authorized its use for the street would mean GM would have to recertify the fuel mileage. Tell the Customer not to use it on the street and they don't have to recertify. This was covered in one of Tadge's answers. He didn't say to use it but what he didn't say was important. He didn't say it would ruin your engine if used on the street.

With 2019 we got a new oil to use. That is Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 which is Dexos2 rated and GM recommends its use on the street and track. That resolves the problem of recommending Customers change oil before and after an event. However, they didn't take away the M1 15W50 or 5W30 oils either. In fact the ZR1 still has to use the 15W50 when on track.

GM recommends changing the diff fluid after the first track event and then every 24 hours of track usage after that initial change. Figure 1.5 hours of track time per track day (Four 20 minute sessions) and that means you can run 16 days before changing it again. It works out to about once per year for me.

Brake fluid. I use Ferodo Racing Brake Fluid which has a 624 degree dry boiling point compared to Castrol SRF's 594 degree dry boiling point. If it is over a month old I change it before going to the track. SRF has a very high wet boiling point (518 degrees) but I don't think it is high enough to mean you shouldn't change the SRF a couple of times per year. Your choice.

GM doesn't make any recommendations on transmission fluid and I have run my car for 3 seasons on the original fluid with no issues.

Watch the Clutch Fluid level. I noticed mine dropped quite a bit (reservoir almost empty) but I couldn't find a leak and after I refilled the reservoir it didn't drop during the rest of the season. I assume the level change was due to clutch wear but the clutch doesn't have any discernible slippage and I don't do many drag race style launches.

Bill
Thanks for the comprehensive recommendations
Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

And make sure your cold coolant level is up to the rib inside the overflow tank!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:16 PM
prosdoc
Intermediate

So at this point, any reason not to go with 0W40 sincevthat seems a easier than switching before/after?

Are there any other better options for tire other than the PS Cup2? I have those but they seem to wear pretty fast. Looking for other options, even track only, that would be a better investment than a new set of Cup2s
Old 03-03-2019, 01:28 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by prosdoc
So at this point, any reason not to go with 0W40 sincevthat seems a easier than switching before/after?

Are there any other better options for tire other than the PS Cup2? I have those but they seem to wear pretty fast. Looking for other options, even track only, that would be a better investment than a new set of Cup2s
18s + nt01s.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

18" wheels and the Toyo R888R's are a popular choice too. PK Designs on the forum had done 2 sets of 18's for me and their service was great. I am sure others have had good experiences with other wheel vendors on here too.

Get notified of new replies

To Pre/post track day fluids that need to be changed?

Quick Reply: Pre/post track day fluids that need to be changed?