C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make your C7 quicker for up to $2k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Cliffp
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to make your C7 quicker for up to $2k?

Just curious. I drove a manual C7 and the car was not as quick as I expected. 2nd and 3rd gear were awesome, but I was a bit disappointed in 1st gear. It seemed a little “weak” (relatively speaking) and the power seemed to dwindle at higher rpms. If you wanted to modify, what would you do to make the car quicker off the line if you had up to $2k to spend?

BTW: I still loved the car!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Better tires, flex fuel and a tune.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Worthington
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Car has plenty of power -have you tried a track day (not straight line stuff)?

You'll have a blast and realize it has more than enough power if you haven't.

Like the previous poster, you'll likely find yourself spending on non hp mods like tires, brakes, etc.

Last edited by Worthington; 03-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Rideout
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm wondering if you might have been spinning in first and TC kicked in. Man, these things have plenty of power. Not sure how much more could be expected for the money. I skipped all the $2k upgrades and saved up for a supercharger but even before the SC install it had plenty of power
Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Worthington
Pro

Yeah, if you do track days I suspect most won't feel the itch for more power -it'll take a long time to master this car in a full road course setting vs just going in a straight line.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Cliffp
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the comments. I have to try a track day!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 AM
Worthington
Pro

Originally Posted by Cliffp
Thank you for the comments. I have to try a track day!
You'll love it and you will find you are very satisfied with your car as is. Driver ability will give you much bigger gains too, I've been able to play with Mclarens, Z06s, Ferraris, etc (and alternatively gotten my butt handed to me by cars I'd never have suspected to pass me). I could never go back to straight line stuff personally.

Just as an example, start at 8 minutes. That Calloway was absolutely nuts and dusted me on the straights, but more seat experience allows you to play catch up in the corners

The following users liked this post:
David Gordon (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 AM
hamad_alz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lontube headers and cold air intake

You can go with kooks headers or American racing headers and an cold air intake I went with afe and possibly a tune
Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Rideout
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Worthington
You'll love it and you will find you are very satisfied with your car as is. Driver ability will give you much bigger gains too, I've been able to play with Mclarens, Z06s, Ferraris, etc (and alternatively gotten my butt handed to me by cars I'd never have suspected to pass me). I could never go back to straight line stuff personally.

Just as an example, start at 8 minutes. That Calloway was absolutely nuts and dusted me on the straights, but more seat experience allows you to play catch up in the corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cba2-0Fr28&t=560s
man that looks fun. I've not yet really considered anything but straight line. Thanks a lot Worthington, I think your video just cost me more money, I'm more set up for the drag strip that Callaway was sick! You did an admirable job keeping up
Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Worthington
Pro

Originally Posted by Rideout
man that looks fun. I've not yet really considered anything but straight line. Thanks a lot Worthington, I think your video just cost me more money, I'm more set up for the drag strip that Callaway was sick! You did an admirable job keeping up
Haha -these cars were built for a road course and the thrill there compared to drag racing (at least for me) doesn't even come close to comparing -less chance of breaking things as well. I agree on the Callaway too, every time i watch the video again i start drooling when I let him by on the straight. I only go 2-3 times a year but that scratches my itch and keeps me from being stupid on public roads and helps me curb buying go fast parts.

That said, there are guys that go a lot more often and are much faster in these things.

All that to say, get into the road course stuff and I suspect you won't worry about buying as many mods because there's so much to learn about driving the stock car to it's potential vs just getting a good launch and keeping her straight for 1/4
Old 03-06-2019, 08:52 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Just curious. I drove a manual C7 and the car was not as quick as I expected. 2nd and 3rd gear were awesome, but I was a bit disappointed in 1st gear. It seemed a little “weak” (relatively speaking) and the power seemed to dwindle at higher rpms. If you wanted to modify, what would you do to make the car quicker off the line if you had up to $2k to spend?

Was it a base C7 or Z51/GS? The base C7 manual has taller gearing, the Z51 and Grand Sport have shorter gearing and it is noticeably different especially in 1st gear.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Give us try, our Modified Throttle Bodies will pressurize you intake manifold faster, certainly quicker off the line, much better on how that 1st gear feels too. You have nothing to lose. Don't like it? Just return it and get a full refund, even return shipping is free. Installation takes 15 minutes, no skills required.
www.solerengineering.com

Old 03-06-2019, 04:48 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Tune

A tune and a filter. Headers are expensive.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM
David Gordon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Video was nuts!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 PM
BuckeyeNation
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headers, flex fuel,tune and CAI work just fine

As said by many, 2 grand is better saved toward a supercharger. But if you plan on keeping it NA then a TSP full headers, cats or no cats with a flex fuel kit, CAI and tune really make a noticeable difference. I chose off road pipes, so no cats is pretty loud on a cold start up. I love it, but my elderly neighbor who was walking the dog past my garage didnt. She damn near fell to the ground on start up. I felt bad that the vette scared her that bad. But good old American muscle goes a long way with some open pipes.

Like others have said also, straight line is very fun, but a good country back road with some fresh smooth asphalt is too much fun for one afternoon. In the Texas Hill Country these roads are abundant.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:15 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Rideout
I'm wondering if you might have been spinning in first and TC kicked in.
This ^^^ -

If you think 2nd and 3rd gear had enough power, then the traction control was kicking in during first gear. In race mode with traction control turned off, your tires will go up in smoke all the way through first gear.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

To wake up a street car, put in 3.9 or 4.1 diff. Wakes it right up.
Not necessarily faster, but a hoot around town.

Last edited by acroy; 03-07-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

My stock GS blows the tires off (with nannies turned off) My current desire is to get some better/stickier tires and I think I would be satisfied for a quite a while with the stock power level.

Get notified of new replies

To How to make your C7 quicker for up to $2k?

Quick Reply: How to make your C7 quicker for up to $2k?