Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Upgraded radiator = thicker towards front bumper or engine?

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded radiator = thicker towards front bumper or engine?

 
Old 03-10-2019, 08:09 AM
  #1  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,009
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Default Upgraded radiator = thicker towards front bumper or engine?

Quick question. All these thicker upgraded radiators. Are they thicker towards the front of the car or the engine?

Point is my fan is already right up against my intake piping. The stock fan shroud is huge so I guess I'd have to get a low profile fan.

Next round of mods is cooling. LG oil cooler for sure and maybe radiator if that doesn't do enough.


BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM
  #2  
ErnieN85
CF Senior Member
 
ErnieN85's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Montoursville Pa
Posts: 2,939
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Dewitts is the same dimension at the top & bottom, only the core itself is thicker, drops right in

Last edited by ErnieN85; 03-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.
ErnieN85 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM
  #3  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,009
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ErnieN85 View Post
Dewitts is the same dimension at the top & bottom, only the core itself is thicker, drops right in
How's that possible? I don't understand... Like, it's not taller ? I don't think any are.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-10-2019 at 04:18 PM.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 PM
  #4  
Tom DeWitt
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Tom DeWitt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Howell Mi Michigan
Posts: 4,939
Thanked 292 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
Quick question. All these thicker upgraded radiators. Are they thicker towards the front of the car or the engine?
The answer is both, front and back. The stock core is 26mm thick and this leaves a gap in front and back for more core. The DeWitts is 52mm


Tom DeWitt is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 AM
  #5  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,009
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt View Post
The answer is both, front and back. The stock core is 26mm thick and this leaves a gap in front and back for more core. The DeWitts is 52mm

So does the fan not move backwards?
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 06:54 AM
  #6  
AKKutz
CF Senior Member
 
AKKutz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: LaGrange KY
Posts: 599
Thanked 42 Times in 41 Posts
Default

I believe they are saying, the DeWitts' core fills in the "Expansion Area". So fan stays the same
AKKutz is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 AM
  #7  
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Dane@LGmotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 628
Thanked 142 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
Quick question. All these thicker upgraded radiators. Are they thicker towards the front of the car or the engine?

Point is my fan is already right up against my intake piping. The stock fan shroud is huge so I guess I'd have to get a low profile fan.

Next round of mods is cooling. LG oil cooler for sure and maybe radiator if that doesn't do enough.

Our fan/radiator combo will clear easily.

Dane@LGmotorsports is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM
  #8  
ErnieN85
CF Senior Member
 
ErnieN85's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Montoursville Pa
Posts: 2,939
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
So does the fan not move backwards?
exactly, same mounting position in relation to stock. it is much easier to do if you remove the radiator & fan and replace the radiator then install the fan
ErnieN85 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 PM
  #9  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,009
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ErnieN85 View Post
exactly, same mounting position in relation to stock. it is much easier to do if you remove the radiator & fan and replace the radiator then install the fan
I'm confused how it wouldn't move since my fan shroud is right up against the radiator.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-11-2019 at 02:44 PM.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
  #10  
Mike's LS3
CF Senior Member
 
Mike's LS3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 3,441
Thanked 180 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
I'm confused how it wouldn't move since my fan shroud is right up against the radiator.
The fan shroud is mounted to the radiator's shoulders (one on each end). The cores (middle) are thicker and do not affect the mounting position on the shoulders.

Look at the illustration. The cores are thicker, but the shroud does not mount onto the cores. It mounts onto the shoulder (two blue end squares on the illustration).

BTW: DeWitts has a lifetime warranty. I developed a small leak in mine and sent it to them for repair. They repaired it and sent it back at no charge. Note: Only DeWitts can make warranty repairs, do not send to another shop or your warranty will be voided.

Edit: "Tanks sre the proper term not shoulders" LOL

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 03-11-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Mike's LS3 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM
  #11  
ErnieN85
CF Senior Member
 
ErnieN85's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Montoursville Pa
Posts: 2,939
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3 View Post
The fan shroud is mounted to the radiator's shoulders (one on each end). The cores (middle) are thicker and do not affect the mounting position on the shoulders.

Look at the illustration. The cores are thicker, but the shroud does not mount onto the cores. It mounts onto the shoulder (two blue squares on the illustration).
correct it more apparent when you get it out
ErnieN85 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 03:09 PM
  #12  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 4,759
Thanked 777 Times in 494 Posts
Default

Do not use radiator zip ties as pictured by LG. Most mfgs will void the core warranty if you do.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM
  #13  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,009
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Thanks a ton guys
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:47 PM
  #14  
ErnieN85
CF Senior Member
 
ErnieN85's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Montoursville Pa
Posts: 2,939
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
Thanks a ton guys
your welcome those spring clamps on the radiator hoses are a BI#$&
ErnieN85 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 PM
  #15  
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Dane@LGmotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 628
Thanked 142 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Do not use radiator zip ties as pictured by LG. Most mfgs will void the core warranty if you do.
We wouldn't void warranty on our radiator due to an issue caused by the ties that we supplied...
Dane@LGmotorsports is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 AM
  #16  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 4,759
Thanked 777 Times in 494 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We wouldn't void warranty on our radiator due to an issue caused by the ties that we supplied...
I had a custom laid forward radiator in my C5 race car and a custom one for our Panoz road race car made by a major Nascar supplier in NC. They treated core zip-ties like a 4-letter word and would void any/all warranties on the core if used. They said in their experience the vibrations/shiting will eventually wear a hole in the radiator tube. Just one data point. That said, I see them used at the track all the time.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 AM
  #17  
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Dane@LGmotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 628
Thanked 142 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
I had a custom laid forward radiator in my C5 race car and a custom one for our Panoz road race car made by a major Nascar supplier in NC. They treated core zip-ties like a 4-letter word and would void any/all warranties on the core if used. They said in their experience the vibrations/shiting will eventually wear a hole in the radiator tube. Just one data point. That said, I see them used at the track all the time.
I can 100% see them being an issue on a dedicated race car with aero that's sprung to high heaven or on a TA Car/ Nascar as those have a huge amount of vibration. That being said we don't use fans on forward tilt radiators in race cars, application is key in recommendations.
Dane@LGmotorsports is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM
  #18  
spinkick
CF Senior Member
 
spinkick's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Brighton Mi
Posts: 2,474
Thanked 261 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Do all of you guys take out the shroud that goes to the hood? I have heard that actually gets more cooling than having the shroud there. Any lift issues under the hood?
spinkick is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:50 PM
  #19  
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Dane@LGmotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 628
Thanked 142 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
Do all of you guys take out the shroud that goes to the hood? I have heard that actually gets more cooling than having the shroud there. Any lift issues under the hood?
We get rid of them.

Dane@LGmotorsports is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM
  #20  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,009
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
Do all of you guys take out the shroud that goes to the hood? I have heard that actually gets more cooling than having the shroud there. Any lift issues under the hood?
I did a quick test at a track day at 105 degrees ambient and my car overheated at the exact same 8 minute mark. But I keep it off anyhow. I tend to believe it's just to reduce chances of snow falling onto the engine. Remember these have to be ok to be sold to everywhere.
BrunoTheMellow is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrunoTheMellow For This Useful Post:
spinkick (03-12-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgraded radiator = thicker towards front bumper or engine?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: