C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom stereo upgrade

 
Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 PM
  #21  
vetten76
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego CA.
Posts: 1,194
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
All that matters is what sounds good to you.
I agree with this. On my C5, I went with an economy build. I used an in-line amp from Alpine and a small Kenwood amp for the sub. The sound was incredible! It all worked. On my C6 I went all out. Two huge amps. Expensive speakers. Big money. It sounded like crap. I tried a few things but could never get it to sound like my C5 did. The audio specialist that I had listen to it said I was crazy and it sounded great. Sound is personal. So now Iím hesitant to build a system in my 19 C7, though itís killing me not to try. Lol. I still love audio and have been building systems for 46 years now. I was hooked at 16.

Theres nothing better than a clear, perfect blend of mids and lows in a car stereo. Boston up loud! Wonderful.
vetten76 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 PM
  #22  
Rdgdawg
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Rdgdawg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: SE WI
Posts: 74
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vetten76 View Post
.... On my C6 I went all out. Two huge amps. Expensive speakers. Big money. It sounded like crap. I tried a few things but could never get it to sound like my C5 did. .... Sound is personal. So now I’m hesitant to build a system in my 19 C7, though it’s killing me not to try....Theres nothing better than a clear, perfect blend of mids and lows in a car stereo. Boston up loud! Wonderful.
Not sure what happened on your C6. Wes talked me out of Alpine Kappas and JL (like previous set-ups) with Hertz and much cheaper with superior sound. Pioneer 12" sub was 3rd Pioneer I've had. Everything else was Hertz so they're all like components/speakers... maybe that was the issue???

I have man cave and living room theaters in my house (inexpensive and sound great) and 10 speakers out on deck/backyard. You gotta have sound....

Last edited by Rdgdawg; 04-17-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Rdgdawg is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:24 PM
  #23  
vetten76
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego CA.
Posts: 1,194
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rdgdawg View Post
Not sure what happened on your C6. Wes talked me out of Alpine Kappas and JL (like previous set-ups) with Hertz and much cheaper with superior sound. Pioneer 12" sub was 3rd Pioneer I've had. Everything else was Hertz so they're all like components/speakers... maybe that was the issue???

I have man cave and living room theaters in my house (inexpensive and sound great) and 10 speakers out on deck/backyard. You gotta have sound....
I had the opertunity about 10 years ago to help launch a new car audio line. It was so much fun except the owner of the company wasn't realistic about prices for this swap meet quality equipment. On that journey, I learned a ton about components and the manufactures. My friend went to China to see the process. He said the building had different brand names on each corner. That said, I started to recognize the same stuff with different names. I bought one amp from a no name company that had all the stats of the best amps made, but at a swap meet price. I still have that amp in my C3 and its fantastic. Then there was the dealer costs. That got me. Alpine speakers, component sets, were under $30.00. Amps were $45.00 then marked up to nearly $300.00. I didn't buy ANYTHING for months! lol. A complete weed wacker two stroke engine was $4.30. BTW, I replaced the Infinity speakers I had in the front of my C6 with a $18 pair of speakers a fellow forum membor recommended. It was an 8 inch paper mid range. It sounded just as good as my expensive speakers. Every part of my car was covered with Fatmat, including all of the inside of each door and each door skin. It was a very quite C6.

I think I will do my C7 after all this discussion! I can't stand it. I'll start putting together my wish list. After the caravan though. I need the rear luggage space. lol..... Gotta have sound, like ya say!

Last edited by vetten76; 04-17-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
vetten76 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 AM
  #24  
Rdgdawg
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Rdgdawg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: SE WI
Posts: 74
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vetten76 View Post
...I think I will do my C7 after all this discussion! I can't stand it. I'll start putting together my wish list. After the caravan though. I need the rear luggage space. lol..... Gotta have sound, like ya say!
Can't wait to see what you come up with...best of luck!!!!
Rdgdawg is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 01:27 PM
  #25  
JMII
CF Senior Member
 
JMII's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 956
Liked 290 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vetten76 View Post
That said, I started to recognize the same stuff with different names. I bought one amp from a no name company that had all the stats of the best amps made, but at a swap meet price.
Correct. There are only a handful of companies (almost all in China these days) making this stuff. Thus many "brands" are just labels and under the covers you'll find its all the same parts. Also many companies as subdivisions of others, thus they share components, design and engineering. For example Harmon Kardon owns JBL, Infinity, Mark Levinson and several others audio brands. Just like Maxxsonics is MB Quart, HiFonics, Crunch and AudioTek. No different then GM with its brands like Buick, Chevy, GMC and Caddy which all share parts. In many cases generic speakers like those offered by Dayton Audio are just as good as the high-end popular name-brand units that sell with huge mark ups.
JMII is online now  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: