C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Custom stereo upgrade

So a brief write-up on my decision to switch to a custom stereo set-up for my C7

First off, kudos to Wesley, Mo and Stereo One here in Milwaukee. They are the only ones I let touch my cars for stereo upgrades and tinting. This is my 5th stereo set-up and they, as always, did an INCREDIBLE job.

I love music and the BOSE stock stereo is, IMHO, not close to what a Corvette should have… first thing Wes did was measure the sub to make sure my roof would still fit in the back. I’ve included several pics showing just how complex the process was… we settled on a Hertz MPK 163.3 PRO Mille Pro Series 6-1/2" 3-way component speaker system including processor and amp along with a Pioneer sub. I spoke at length with Wes and Mo as the BOSE stock system provides little in modifications due to the tuning and sound matching. Wes loves the Hertz line as he and Mo thought it would be the perfect set-up. They nailed it!!

So, the Hertz system literally bypasses the BOSE and the sound is incredible, better than the Infinity systems they have done in the past for me. The car was literally taken apart, and Wes built new enclosures for the doors as well. For speakers, only the center BOSE tweeter remained, everything else was replaced. The amp and processor fit right in where the BOSE sub was previously located. Lastly, it all looks stock as Hertz is all about sound, NOT show. When I listen now, I can hear mid-range, bass, everything. I also can tune the bass as I have a sound **** hidden low under the dash. Everything else still functions the same… same apps, configurations, sources going through stock entertainment center. I didn’t have to re-set any stations, Bluetooth connectivity with my phone, all was just as is when I drove her in. As you can see from the pics, Wes even had to remove the headliner above the windshield... massive undertaking:

I will update when applicable but so far, beyond exceeded my expectations. The pricing was unbeatable as I do much business with them, but Wes doesn’t skip anything and took his time til he was completely satisfied with the tune and programming.

Thanks again Stereo One, enjoy the pics and I’ll answer any questions as best possible since I’m not the tech guy on this one!

Last edited by Rdgdawg; 04-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vetten76 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdgdawg
I spoke at length with Wes and Mo as the BOSE stock system provides little in modifications due to the tuning and sound matching.

So, the Hertz system literally bypasses the BOSE and the sound is incredible,
I believe bypassing the Bose processing solves 70% of the problems with the C7's stock system.
The following users liked this post:
Rdgdawg (04-11-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

FUP- 24 hours and the sound is amazing. My music choices (rock/metal- Priest, AC/DC, Van Halen) are heavy on guitars and updated system really brings out the mid-range. For example, "Freewheel Burning" by Priest really shows up in the guitars, and Rob's voice has an echo I've only heard on my home theater... just incredible!!! Obvious bass and the cymbals are now neutralized into the entire sonic wash... I am pleased beyond words!!

Sub takes about 30 days to really break in and can only run at 75% but..... unreal... will update in 30 days.

-Rdgdawg
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Is the Hertz processor also an amp? My C7 is the only Corvette that I haven’t done the audio in. The signal processor is a new one for me. Great pics and write up. Thanks for doing that.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by vetten76
Is the Hertz processor also an amp?.
There is a 5-channel amp and 2 processors for 7 speakers and the Pioneer sub

Last edited by Rdgdawg; 04-13-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:54 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a 5-channel amp and 2 processors for 5 speakers and the Pioneer sub
A single 5 channel. Sweet. All in one. Amps are so good today. Great audio build my friend. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by vetten76; 04-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by vetten76
A single 5 channel. Sweet. All in one. Amps are so good today. Great audio build my friend. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate the kind words, thanks!

Not sure what's left... I've messed a bit with the custom sound/EQ on my Samsung Galaxy 9 and I use Amazon Music and Pandora off the phone so I'll see how much that might change the sound.

In-car set-up is as follows:
Sound field is centerpoint
Treble: +3
Mid: +1
Bass: +4

Wes pre-tuned everything based on my tastes/preferences so the car set-up is dialed in....
Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

So a brief write-up on my decision to switch to a custom stereo set-up for my C7

First off, kudos to Wesley, Mo and Stereo One here in Milwaukee. They are the only ones I let touch my cars for stereo upgrades and tinting. This is my 5th stereo set-up and they, as always, did an INCREDIBLE job.

I love music and the BOSE stock stereo is, IMHO, not close to what a Corvette should have… first thing Wes did was measure the sub to make sure my roof would still fit in the back. I’ve included several pics showing just how complex the process was… we settled on a Hertz MPK 163.3 PRO Mille Pro Series 6-1/2" 3-way component speaker system including processor and amp along with a Pioneer sub. I spoke at length with Wes and Mo as the BOSE stock system provides little in modifications due to the tuning and sound matching. Wes loves the Hertz line as he and Mo thought it would be the perfect set-up. They nailed it!!

So, the Hertz system literally bypasses the BOSE and the sound is incredible, better than the Infinity systems they have done in the past for me. The car was literally taken apart, and Wes built new enclosures for the doors as well. For speakers, only the center BOSE tweeter remained, everything else was replaced. The amp and processor fit right in where the BOSE sub was previously located. Lastly, it all looks stock as Hertz is all about sound, NOT show. When I listen now, I can hear mid-range, bass, everything. I also can tune the bass as I have a sound **** hidden low under the dash. Everything else still functions the same… same apps, configurations, sources going through stock entertainment center. I didn’t have to re-set any stations, Bluetooth connectivity with my phone, all was just as is when I drove her in. As you can see from the pics, Wes even had to remove the headliner above the windshield... massive undertaking:

I will update when applicable but so far, beyond exceeded my expectations. The pricing was unbeatable as I do much business with them, but Wes doesn’t skip anything and took his time til he was completely satisfied with the tune and programming.

Thanks again Stereo One, enjoy the pics and I’ll answer any questions as best possible since I’m not the tech guy on this one!
What speakers did you put in the rear? Did you look at the JL Audio Stealthbox?
Oh, and did you use the NAV-TV or the PAC-AUDIO?

Last edited by Matthewstorm; 04-13-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Sub takes about 30 days to really break in and can only run at 75% but..... unreal... will update in 30 days.

-Rdgdawg
Apologies if this is an obvious question, but why would a sub take 30 days to 'break in'?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
What speakers did you put in the rear? Did you look at the JL Audio Stealthbox?
Oh, and did you use the NAV-TV or the PAC-AUDIO?
All Hertz... see the first pic
Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Apologies if this is an obvious question, but why would a sub take 30 days to 'break in'?
Every speaker has a break-in period...
Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Apparently not.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...r-subwoofer-s-

Last edited by Matthewstorm; 04-14-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

I've had JL Audio systems in 2 previous cars so I know them well. The sound produced by the Hertz set-up is, IMHO, superior. And that's all that matters. I'll update again down the road after more time enjoying the tunes...
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

I've had JL Audio systems in 2 previous cars so I know them well. The sound produced by the Hertz set-up is, IMHO, superior. And that's all that matters. I'll update again down the road after more time enjoying the tunes...
All that matters is what sounds good to you.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:22 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Technically yes - but the differences before & after would only be noticed with measurement equipment. As the JL help article mentions the suspension does loosen up a bit over time.

Sound field is centerpoint
Give the Driver position setting a try, I found it helps the sound stage. However as mentioned its personal so if you don't like it then just change it back. I swapped between the two over the course of about a week before realizing Driver was better, more accurate, etc.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by JMII
....Give the Driver position setting a try, I found it helps the sound stage. However as mentioned its personal so if you don't like it then just change it back. I swapped between the two over the course of about a week before realizing Driver was better, more accurate, etc.
I will definitely do that...
Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

FUP- 24 hours and the sound is amazing. My music choices (rock/metal- Priest, AC/DC, Van Halen) are heavy on guitars and updated system really brings out the mid-range. For example, "Freewheel Burning" by Priest really shows up in the guitars, and Rob's voice has an echo I've only heard on my home theater... just incredible!!! Obvious bass and the cymbals are now neutralized into the entire sonic wash... I am pleased beyond words!!

-Rdgdawg
Sounds like a awesome setup. Same music I listen to. The Priest one of my favorite bands. Seen them about 7 times in concert. My c5 Z06 was all done up with audio system. Plan on having my C7 done down the road. Did you have any plans to do sound deadening? I had it done in my C5 Z06. 5 channel amp definitely way to go. Also components also. How long did it take him with the install? Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom stereo upgrade

Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
Sounds like a awesome setup. Same music I listen to. The Priest one of my favorite bands. Seen them about 7 times in concert.
There are coming in May, 2 nights... I have 4th row both nights

My c5 Z06 was all done up with audio system. Plan on having my C7 done down the road. Did you have any plans to do sound deadening? I had it done in my C5 Z06. 5 channel amp definitely way to go. Also components also. How long did it take him with the install? Thanks for the info.
Didn't do sound deadening as I still wanted ability to hear exhaust. In total, about 13 hours. Told Wes to take all the time he needed.

UPDATE- "Soundfield" seems to have been eliminated, no difference between centerpoint and driver when switching between them.

Last edited by Rdgdawg; 04-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM
JMII
Safety Car

UPDATE- "Soundfield" seems to have been eliminated, no difference between centerpoint and driver when switching between them.
OK then they grabbed the signal before the factory amp. If so that is actually a good thing as the factory processing is the main reason (IMHO) why the Bose system sounds crappy to begin with.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

There are coming in May, 2 nights... I have 4th row both nights

Didn't do sound deadening as I still wanted ability to hear exhaust. In total, about 13 hours. Told Wes to take all the time he needed.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy. I’m waiting for them to hit my area again!! Awesome seats you have. Been there great!!

Quick Reply: Custom stereo upgrade