C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that installed their own X-Pipe

Old 05-31-2019, 05:56 PM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 83 Posts

Default For those that installed their own X-Pipe

I'm thinking of getting a Borla or Corsa X pipe. I don't have a lift. I have one jack and two jack stands. I'd like to know if it's possible to raise the car from the rear using the jack to a sufficient height that will make it possible to remove the current pipe and install the new X pipe, using the two jack stands in the rear as extra safety.

To raise the front and put it on jack stands as well, I would have to buy two more jack stands and a low profile jack.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:07 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,349 Posts

With it just lifted on one end its not going to be easy since the x-pipe is basically in the middle of the car. So another option would be using a set of ramps.

I did it with four jack stands but there isn't much room to work. Luckily I am a thin guy so I could fit under there. Maybe someone local can help you out with additional tools?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

I did it with one jack and 2 jack stands. Put the jacks stands up front. Had the jackstands extended out almost as far as they could go. Easy peasy. Hardest part was banging the stock x-pipe off the rear muffler pipes.

Very doable.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I did a Corsa and a Borla with a jack and 4 jackstands. No problem.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,282 Likes on 843 Posts

Just lifting the front will make it extremely hard because you really need to get at the rear part of the car right in front of the rear axles. And you wont have the leverage you need. 4 jack stands will be adequate but will still be tough not being very high up off the ground. I did mine with Quick Jacks and I can't imagine doing it any lower to the ground than that.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Lift it from the passenger side, leave the driver's side on the ground. This is how I did the swap and there was plenty of room.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:27 AM
vettefever17
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 44 Posts

While it may not be an easy hour job like on a lift, you can do it with just one low profile jack and two jack stands like mentioned before. Take your time and wiggle the pipes, they are tightly fitted. The biggest time consumption is the shield that protects the drivetrain. I put on Corsa mid-pipes in roughly a few hours on my own. One huge tip I will suggest, BE SURE TO TAP IN THE EXHAUST GASKETS/O- RINGS. If you simply rely of wrench pressure it will rattle, ask me how I know. Lightly mallet them into place for proper fit. I was afraid to hit them, as I was under the assumption it was tight with fitment. After all of these precautions, enjoy the sound!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:08 AM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Thanks everyone, very good tips..
Old 06-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kracka
Lift it from the passenger side, leave the driver's side on the ground. This is how I did the swap and there was plenty of room.
This is a far better idea than just raising the front.

Originally Posted by vettefever17
While it may not be an easy hour job like on a lift, you can do it with just one low profile jack and two jack stands like mentioned before. Take your time and wiggle the pipes, they are tightly fitted. The biggest time consumption is the shield that protects the drivetrain. I put on Corsa mid-pipes in roughly a few hours on my own. One huge tip I will suggest, BE SURE TO TAP IN THE EXHAUST GASKETS/O- RINGS. If you simply rely of wrench pressure it will rattle, ask me how I know. Lightly mallet them into place for proper fit. I was afraid to hit them, as I was under the assumption it was tight with fitment. After all of these precautions, enjoy the sound!
Yes, spend the $20 and get new donut gaskets. It will make your life so much easier. You won't have to tap them on because they are new they should just slide right on and will reshape once you tighten the exhaust. If you try to re-use the old ones they will be a pain because they were already formed to the old X pipe and will likely need to be hammered on. This hammering no matter how gentle causes cracks and deforms them even more. I've been through both ways, get new ones lol.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:29 AM
asc709
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Another tip, from someone who did his Borla using the same method as Kracka, make sure you have room in the back to tap the x-pipe over the exhaust pipes. I had a bit of an exhaust leak and had to go back and reattach the rear pipes on the driver’s side.

Last edited by asc709; 06-01-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

^^ yup be prepared with a rubber mallet or a 2x4 and hammer to tap the X pipe towards the rear to get it to seat onto the over axle pipes right up to the markers. You will see what I'm talking about when you get under the car. If you have a buddy to help you hold the over the axle pipe and put another 2x4 against the back of the axle pipe to keep it from moving with each hammer tap, it will make it slide on way easier.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:20 AM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
This is a far better idea than just raising the front.

Yes, spend the $20 and get new donut gaskets. It will make your life so much easier. You won't have to tap them on because they are new they should just slide right on and will reshape once you tighten the exhaust. If you try to re-use the old ones they will be a pain because they were already formed to the old X pipe and will likely need to be hammered on. This hammering no matter how gentle causes cracks and deforms them even more. I've been through both ways, get new ones lol.
Does anyone have the part # for the correct size donut gaskets? And, how many are needed?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VirginiaAgent
Does anyone have the part # for the correct size donut gaskets? And, how many are needed?
10354707Intermediate Pipe Seal

You need 2
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
donkeyhoeti (06-03-2019), redman76 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:02 AM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 956 Likes on 619 Posts

I second this & the GM # is correct & does not have to be FROM GM (higher price). I'm selling my '16 Z & due to no more "off road" Borla pipes being made I decided to jack & use 4 stands to put OE X-pipe back on & transfer Borla to new '19 Z. I had ordered 2 "donut" gaskets from Amazon vendors for much less + free shipping. After seeing what the gaskets looked like on the '16 Z with only about 12K miles, I'm damn glad I did. The gray material had deteriorated & one had a crack all way thru. After seeing that, I decided to order 2 more for the new Z even though it won't have any miles on it. I am overly (OCD) concerned that once crushed during install at factory they MAY not completely seal if reused. I just jacked car as high as my jack would allow (18") & put 4 stands in correct places. Of course I'm only 5' 8"/ 155 lbs. so your situation of clearance problems may vary I did it by myself, both the original swap & the swap back to OE pipe, but is difficult to hold up frt. end of X-pipe till crossover fittings are fully secured. I used an extra jack stand w/short piece of 2x4 to support it. Worked very well for ME! You must make sure the rear fitting are completely over the muffler pipes & compression splits are covered to prevent exhaust leaks which USUALLY cause a "cold start malfunction code". You'll be able to see the black exhaust leak streaks if they aren't properly tightened. When removing the tunnel plate with its gazillion bolts, be sure to only loosen the VERY large "keyhole" bolts to hold the plate in position till all bolts are out & then slide plate to clear those bolt heads. HAVE FUN-BE VERY CAREFUL anytime jacking or using jack stands. There have been several posts of cars slipping sideways falling off stands/jacks (imagine how many were too embarrassed to report if their's did). You must have a jack with dolly wheels that roll as car is lifted so it follows the car as it moves sideways/forward during jacking. Remember there is ABSOLUTELY no room beneath this car if it falls with you under it, I don't care how SKINNY YOU ARE!

Last edited by madrob2020; 06-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 AM
Tom0662
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I put my QuickJack 5000 to use Saturday and installed my X-pipe.
Lots of room to slide around under there on a creeper. Also took the time
to remove the wheels and clean them and install the Carbotechs.
Busy day... Sounds good, stops good, looks good and that
makes me feel good.
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Rayland
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

VirginiaAgent;

Great question,

"Kracka" is spot on, this is how Rayland installed his Double Helixx X-pipe PN 14761.
HP=+5, Torque=+4, Increased air flow= +20.24%, Weight savings= -2.1lb.

Moreover, you may consider watching a YouTube, produced by "ThatcuteGinger" She installs a Borla X-pipe. in her 2014 Stingray. (2.59 min. long; dated Dec 11 2016).

She give me the confidence to replace my X-pipe. Thanks Ginger!

Many thanks,

Ray

"Save Harley Earl's front engine Corvette".

Get notified of new replies

To For those that installed their own X-Pipe

Old 06-03-2019, 07:20 PM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Well, even though my order went through for the Manzo pipe, the vendor contacted me today and said it was backordered with no ETA for the new supply. They refunded my money, which tells me they think it might be a while. Bummer.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,187 Likes on 3,439 Posts

Some of this sounds pretty scary.... A word to the wise and those who do not wish to die a painful death (as others have, believe me). NEVER ever get under a car that is only supported, even at just one end by a jack and nothing else. All the best and always be safe, first and foremost!
The following users liked this post:
Tom0662 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 AM
Tom0662
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Some of this sounds pretty scary.... A word to the wise and those who do not wish to die a painful death (as others have, believe me). NEVER ever get under a car that is only supported, even at just one end by a jack and nothing else. All the best and always be safe, first and foremost!
^^^^ This ^^^^ I was looking at using and couple floor jacks and jack stands
but it just made the hairs stand on end thinking about it. That is why
I bought the QuickJack and was very happy I did. Is 1 or 2 hours
worth of work worth the risk of getting squished?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those that installed their own X-Pipe