C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Pilot Super Sport Tires????

Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Z06BOY-11
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Pilot Super Sport Tires????

Good morning,
Looking for some advise on which tires to go with on my Z06? The tires look to be very similar in the comparison chart listed below. I will not be tracking the car and will most likely only be putting 3 to 4 thousands miles on it a year. Thanks for the advise and looking forward to see what y'all have to say.

https://www.michelinman.com/compare?...=&mode=vehicle
Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

One is a summer tire and the other is an all season tire. I guess it would all depend on what conditions will you most likely be driving. Wet, Temps below 40 etc...
Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Z06BOY-11
Intermediate

I live in Georgia and don't plan on every getting the Z out in th rain unless by accident. Temps are typically above 40...
Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

I have both tires on separate wheels. I use the MPSS tires for the track and the AS/3's for the street. The AS/3's are a better tire for street only and several folks I know with GS's and Z06's that are street-only have switched. The AS/3's are a little less $ and will probably last longer than the sticky MPSS's which will corner wear if alignment ins not correct. They will center wear quickly in the summer if inflation is not watched. AS/3's are a little more forgiving on thisBTW. The GM alignment spec is way too loose especially for toe settings. Insist on zero toe, not just meeting spec.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Z06BOY-11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zo6_ ruff
One is a summer tire and the other is an all season tire. I guess it would all depend on what conditions will you most likely be driving. Wet, Temps below 40 etc...
Well i live in GA and won't be driving the car in the rain unless i unfortunately get stuck in it by surprise. Other than that I doubt i will see to many temps below 40. Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06BOY-11
Well i live in GA and won't be driving the car in the rain unless i unfortunately get stuck in it by surprise. Other than that I doubt i will see to many temps below 40. Thanks
Then go with the MPSS tires ......

Dave
Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Z06BOY-11
In that case I would go with the MPSS. I live in NC and temps are fairly similar. I am considering the AS3 only because I do occasionally drive in temps below 40 during the winter.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:25 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Either tire will be great for street use. The AS3+ handles amazingly well for an AS tire. More than capable enough for the street. Both tires are going to age out before you can wear them out. Given your parameters, I'd go with the MPSS if only to get the slightly better sharpness in handling. I wouldn't sweat it if you end up occasionally driving <40 degrees either. Not like they are instantly going to turn into hockey pucks and crumble into dust. Just stay out of snow/ice.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 07-06-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:50 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I had the MPSS standard equipped z51. It sounded like a hailstorm of rocks hitting the lower fenders and rocker panels of the car. Chevy knows this happens and has put a thin film of clear wrap in those areas. I drove appx 2000 miles before buying the MPS A/S 3+ ZP tires. They have a less sticky tread compound and the ground hailstorm of rocks on body panels stopped. Sadly the clear plastic felt like razor stubble from the MPSS rock showers. I miss that car, but traded it for a new Z06 with skirts, and put MPS A/S 3+ ZP on the Z immediately.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I had the MPSS standard equipped z51. It sounded like a hailstorm of rocks hitting the lower fenders and rocker panels of the car. Chevy knows this happens and has put a thin film of clear wrap in those areas. I drove appx 2000 miles before buying the MPS A/S 3+ ZP tires. They have a less sticky tread compound and the ground hailstorm of rocks on body panels stopped. Sadly the clear plastic felt like razor stubble from the MPSS rock showers. I miss that car, but traded it for a new Z06 with skirts, and put MPS A/S 3+ ZP on the Z immediately.
It all just depends on what you want, maximum warm weather grip or not so maximum grip and an all around good tire ......

So , I have to ask ... why were you driving around in sand

Dave
Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
It all just depends on what you want, maximum warm weather grip or not so maximum grip and an all around good tire ......

So , I have to ask ... why were you driving around in sand

Dave
That's what I thought too. I'm somewhat of a track rat and my 570 rwhp z51 had super sports ZPs, then normal super sports r888rs, hankook rs3s. All stock width. Whatever. Stuck well on all from a 40 mph 2nd gear hit (full torque at 4k rpm). With the r888r it stuck in 1st.

I bought a Z06 Z07 with a halltech. Probably making 600/620. It came with new AS3+. I thought they would be garbage in comparison. I verified this with PDR "traction control active data". 80-90 degree ambient. 2nd geat 40 mph hit, zero wheel spin. Same for 50. Same for 30 mph. 1st gear at 30 mph has about 1 sec of traction control active but it's not enough to lose much speed.

With that said. I'll never drive these on track but for a street car. I don't see why ANYONE would buy super sports over it.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-07-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6_ ruff
In that case I would go with the MPSS. I live in NC and temps are fairly similar. I am considering the AS3 only because I do occasionally drive in temps below 40 during the winter.
I've driven in below freezing temps with my MPSS many times and have never had a problem. I wouldn't take it out in the rain or snow with those tires at those temps obviously, but other wise I wouldn't compromise the rest of the year for what would be a couple days of driving in cold temps.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Mr. Bear
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased my 16 Stingray in Dec 18, which came with a set of MPSS tires. Temps in Md frequently drop below 40 deg, so I was able to break the rear end loose several times. This bothered me because my lady friend leaves for work before 6a, so it's always cold in the winter at that time of morning. Plus the low speed turn chattering was annoying. I changed over to a set of the AS3+ tires & haven't regretted the decision. The new tires are quieter, handle very well, will last longer, & are impervious to the cold temps here in Md.

While the car hasn't been driven yet in snow, it has been in numerous thunder storms, which it handled without any drama. I'm sold on these.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 AM
kloudin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Z06 w/ Z07 in the Atlanta area and switched to the A/S 3+ and they are a great tire.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 AM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Also in north GA. Ran the A/S 3s in winter / early spring. Switched back to MPSS for summer. Plan to do that going forward to get the most out of both sets.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I have set of Finspeed wheels with 19-20 OEM Z51 tires and another set 18-19" wheels with the old version Michelin A/S ZP tires, the ones with the big V tread.
The OEM Z51 tires are still very good shape so I've been putting off buying the new Michelin A/S 3 + ZP tires for the Finspeed wheels.
I decided not to wait any longer and had a set of Michelin A/S 3 + ZP put on today ..... I am so Glad I didn't wait !
These tires are simply Great, ride better, quieter, and for an A/S tire, they have Excellent grip pushing it hard in Hot weather
Old 07-14-2019, 05:45 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

The a/s 3+ will give better tread life with acceptable grip in the dry. If you want to go with the summer only, the newly released 4s tire is better than the mpss and also has better tread life and acceptable wet performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Pilot Super Sport Tires????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Pilot Super Sport Tires????