C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best route for quick Z51

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:30 AM
Mhector13
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best route for quick Z51

New owner of a 2015 M7 Z51! I’ve been searching the forum atleast a week now and all the threads seem to still hold value. I do have a some questions though since most of the threads that I was looking at for info are a couple years old.

I’m looking for the best setup to be quick (drag racing), so I believe the best route to start is LT Headers, Catless XPipe, E85, and of course a tune. Going a little further with it, I’d like to cam and supercharge the car. My Goal is 750-850rwhp if possible on stock block/internals. I would assume that would be enough to be in the mid to low 10s providing good track condition, I’m on a good tire, and can drive.

Who makes the best supercharger kit (highest hp/tq per $)?

Is going with a cam still an expensive option compared to supercharging?

What bolt on combos have actually been proving them selves with the LT1 Platform.

And finally, what am I missing, what do I need to know that hasn’t been mentioned in the older threads? Thanks ahead of time and sorry for being all over the place, just thought I would try to knockout all my questions in one go!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Stock pistons start to pop around 700whp.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:14 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

You bought the wrong car. Seriously. You are trying to take a $2000/night hooker to the prom. Yes you can, but there are better uses.

For what you are going to spend on your C7, you could build a 1/2 back mustang or Camaro and be turning 8's. As an added bonus, your C7 will be uncomfortable, loud, and not very well behaved on the street.

Yep, that's my opinion.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Mhector13
Cruising

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Stock pistons start to pop around 700whp.
Thank you, I would still be happy with that!

Originally Posted by rrsperry
You bought the wrong car. Seriously. You are trying to take a $2000/night hooker to the prom. Yes you can, but there are better uses.

For what you are going to spend on your C7, you could build a 1/2 back mustang or Camaro and be turning 8's. As an added bonus, your C7 will be uncomfortable, loud, and not very well behaved on the street.

Yep, that's my opinion.
Haha yea I know I can build a cheap drag car but I’ve wanted a c7 for a while, I’m not looking for a total race car. I want a car that looks good, as quick as it can be but have good street manners.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-09-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to respond to multiple people in a single response.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 AM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

lt4 blower and fuel system got me over 600.00 with everything else stock. Not sure what your budget is but everything can be had relatively cheap if you lay and wait for the deals.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Mhector13
Cruising

Originally Posted by us3rname
lt4 blower and fuel system got me over 600.00 with everything else stock. Not sure what your budget is but everything can be had relatively cheap if you lay and wait for the deals.
Im not really on a “budget” but really do like bang for buck type of deals. Is the lt4 blower good for more power?? It’s actuallg a route I’ve acutally considered.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 AM
us3rname
Pro

Originally Posted by Mhector13
Im not really on a “budget” but really do like bang for buck type of deals. Is the lt4 blower good for more power?? It’s actuallg a route I’ve acutally considered.
I'm sure I could easily get more power with a different pulley combo or other engine mods. That power was made with just the blower 5% of pulley and lt4 injectors and pump. No other mods at the time of dyno. Internals aside, I think you'd need to do a better low side fuel system or maybe a cam with a higher fuel lobe might support whatever else you throw at it to a certain point. The other hurdle is IAT2 spiking. To help keep that down I upgraded the heat exchanger and added a single m10 methanol nozzle. I'm happy with the power it has now so I haven't ventured into other power making mods.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Would have been easier and cheaper just to have bought a used Z06 in the first place. Then your ceiling is higher for future mods as well.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 AM
us3rname
Pro

Originally Posted by speed4tu
Would have been easier and cheaper just to have bought a used Z06 in the first place. Then your ceiling is higher for future mods as well.

Cheaper? yeah ok! Total cost in for me is around $54500 with mods/tuning and at 630/672ftlbs its no slouch. At the time I purchased the car the cheapest z06's in my area were 68-70k and at that point id have rather sprung a little more for a gtr. Seems like a lot of people buy a z06 and put a procharger of some sort on them anyway so what's the point there?

Get notified of new replies

To Best route for quick Z51

Quick Reply: Best route for quick Z51