C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95mm TB; what adapter are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts
Default 95mm TB; what adapter are you using?

As many of you know we have already released our Modified 95mm (100mm Effective) TB, while working on it we realized that the 3rd party Adapters we were using were defeating the purpose of modifying the TB to some extent. That is, we are opening and smoothing the flow path on the TB and the Manifold only to find that these 3rd party Adapters were closing down area and posing restrictions downstream of the TB. See figure 1 (straight bore adapter).

Every time the airflow finds an abrupt change of area, it tends to create vortices, these create centers of low pressure where the air recirculates and losses density, exactly what you don't want to happen inside the manifold or at the inlet of your supercharger.

Having seen that, we went with our own Adapter design, and the results were great see figure 2 (Soler Performance Tapered Adapter). But we did not stop there, we also made one for 103mm Manifolds. We can also make them match your own ported Manifold/SC internal diameter size.

The results were great, our screw hole pattern perfectly centers the TB on the Manifold to avoid steps due to bore mismatches. The smooth tapered transition allows the air to accommodate to the contour without causing large pressure drops. The contours of the TB, Adapter, and Manifold coincide edge to edge all around, zero steps.

The same philosophy "one-size-fits-only-one". Once again the once-size-fit-all Adapters don't fit any in reality.

These Adapters are not about gaining power, the point is making them right (TB and Manifold Specific), so you don't lose any of those hard-earned HP's you attempted with your Mods.

95mm Throttle Body with Straight Bore Adapter, on a Stock Manifold causing vortices and pressure drops at Manifold inlet.

95mm Throttle Body with Soler Performance Adapter on a Stock Manifold, allowing a smooth/efficient transition at the manifold inlet

Soler Performace 95mm (100mm Eff.) Throttle Body and Adapter Kit.

Soler Performance 95mm to 103mm (MSD) Adapter Kit

Soler Performance 95-87 Design Features

Soler Performance 95-103 Design Features

Thanks,
www.solerengineering.com

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 12-28-2019 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Petyo (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 05:25 AM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

I actually commented on this on Camaro6. Lol.

But for those of us with LT4’s that port our snout to accept a 103mm TB, how would you guys address that transition using your 95mm TB?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by -ZEEOHSIX-
I actually commented on this on Camaro6. Lol.

But for those of us with LT4’s that port our snout to accept a 103mm TB, how would you guys address that transition using your 95mm TB?
That would likely be the 95-Custom option, let us know the size of the internal diameter of your snout. If it is 103 mm, we can simply modify our standard 95-103 and perhaps remove the bull-noses.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:17 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Nice piece you can also re-drill the bottom two holes on the T.B. and dont have to use the spacer at all. I had to do this due to the A/A TI head unit I have on my car. The spacer pushed it out just enough are the plug that has to plug into the T.B. to hit the pulley on the blower. But it works 100%.. Also I have a MSD intake on my car also..Robert
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Thanks, Robert. That is true, some folks do that. We thought about it, but didn't like the way it looks (thin walls on the mounting legs of the TB), it accomplished the mounting part of the job, no doubt.

Another detail to take into account is that in that case, it will also see a sudden increase in area, see pic below, it also creates recirculation and pressure drops, no as bad as when it sees a sudden decrease. This is why we have the 95mm-103mm adapter, and also because of the MSD manifold has material protruding into the bore at 4x places to allow for screw holes. The seal also runs inwards there. The bull-noses catch the Seal there and allow the flow to smoothly go over those protrusions. The Adapter outlet matches the Manifold inlet edge to edge all around (see pic below).

Recirculation on a sudden increase in area. (No Adapter)

103 mm Manifold Snout Contour.

Thanks,
Old 12-31-2019, 06:34 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a Lingenfelter adapter plate on my stock 95mm TB and yes, the adapter defeats the purpose of the 95mm tb. My blower is also ported, not sure to what size tho. It would be nice to get me another adapter that eliminates this necked down restriction. When I get my car back from the shop, I'll see if I can take a pic.

Do you have a pic of a 95mm tb with your adapter mated to the back of it, so I can see the smooth transition? Thanks,
Old 12-31-2019, 06:46 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
I have a Lingenfelter adapter plate on my stock 95mm TB and yes, the adapter defeats the purpose of the 95mm tb. My blower is also ported, not sure to what size tho. It would be nice to get me another adapter that eliminates this necked down restriction. When I get my car back from the shop, I'll see if I can take a pic.

Do you have a pic of a 95mm tb with your adapter mated to the back of it, so I can see the smooth transition? Thanks,
Thanks, George. Here they are.

GeorgeR_Zed06 (01-02-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 08:29 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Fantastic Mike!!

I am like George, I have your Soler 95TB with the Lingenfelter adapter coupled to my ported blower. You new adapter is just the thing we need.
The following 2 users liked this post by ssmith512:
GeorgeR_Zed06 (01-02-2020), Mike@SolerEngr (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 12:42 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
Thanks, George. Here they are.

Wow, thank you for the pics, I need that adapter!!! Is it available for purchase, if so how much for a 95mm one? Thanks,
Mike@SolerEngr (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Thanks, George. They are $65. Available here: https://www.solerengineering.com/store

They all start at 95mm on TB side, and end either at 87mm (PN SE9871-95-87) for stock manifold/SC, or at 103mm (PN SE9871-95-103) for MSD manifold. If you have the stock manifold/SC and the snout has been ported, please order PN SE9871-95-87 and tell us the size of your snout internal diameter and we'll customize it it for you.
GeorgeR_Zed06 (01-02-2020)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:47 AM
ForcefedSupra
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
Thanks, George. They are $65. Available here: https://www.solerengineering.com/store

They all start at 95mm on TB side, and end either at 87mm (PN SE9871-95-87) for stock manifold/SC, or at 103mm (PN SE9871-95-103) for MSD manifold. If you have the stock manifold/SC and the snout has been ported, please order PN SE9871-95-87 and tell us the size of your snout internal diameter and we'll customize it it for you.
Hi Mike, do you have an adaptor for a stock LS2/LS7 silver blade 90mm (08 Z06) to transition to the MSD intake manifold? I see there is a LT5 adaptor, but didnt see one for the LS7. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 95mm TB; what adapter are you using?

Quick Reply: 95mm TB; what adapter are you using?